5.0 out of 5 stars It's the middle of the night and I'm so gone..., 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Audio CD)
As far as describing the music of an LP pictorially, the cover of 'Night Time, My Time' is a pretty good signifier - nakedly confessional, a bit damaged, ugly/beautiful, dark and unashamedly confrontational. The album also contains my favourite collection of edgy, guitar-led synth pop since Chromatics' 'Kill For Love'.

In spite of taking an age to eventually appear, 'NTMT' is surprisingly cohesive and packed full of truly excellent, earworm tunes. Opening with the spiky 'Boys' which sounds like Kim Wilde fronting Suicide and covering Pulp's Common People (?!) it sets out a strong mission statement and carries it through. Sky's delivery is cool as you like but not aloof or precocious.
The lyrical and musical content of the album is a country mile away from the vacuous pop of Britney/Perry/Cyrus. 'I Blame Myself' is either a parody of a Gaga lifestyle or hilariously self-aware - either way it's a great tune. 'Omanko' is a bizarre but brilliant hissing beast - all motorik synth-chug with some particularly saucy lyrics if you translate...

The real gold is in the excellent scuzzy synth-rock tracks such as the ringing '24 Hours' - I can't help but see Molly Ringwald dreaming of John Bender post Breakfast Club whan I hear this. My personal highlight is 'You're Not The One' which instantly lodges in your brain after just one listen, the early/mid 80's distilled into a perfect pop song. 'Nobody Asked Me', 'Heavy Metal Heart', 'I Will' - all killer tracks with hooks to die for.
The album finishes with the astonishing, funereal title track which is like Cat Power fronting Shriekback (and every bit as great as that sounds)- the lyrics and title are based on lines spoken by Laura Palmer in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

What really wins you over with this album is the sense of maturity and thoughtfulness that shines through. It reaches beyond the stroppy, angsty teen tropes which have been done to death and genuinely has something to say.
One of my favourite releases of 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Night Time, My Time, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Audio CD)
Sky Ferreira's debut LP 'Night Time, My Time' was worth the wait!!!
The album consists of electronic and pop/rock vibes, due to the brilliant production of Ariel Rechtshaid, who brought Charli XCX's incredible debut 'True Romance'.

Amazing album, well worth buying!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome..., 19 Jun 2014
Fred Chamberlain "666" (london u.k.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Ltd) (Audio CD)
Great cd & the bonus cd is great as well Sky is such a natural fresh young talent buy buy buy..

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow., 19 May 2014
Adam Hall (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Ltd) (Audio CD)
I had been waiting years and years for this record and here it finally is. Whilst at the surface/first listen some songs seem brash and unnecessarily loud, you come to appreciate a genius behind every song on the album. The whole album creates this mix of 80s, pop, rock and strange sounds, it manages to keep cohesion and feels very genuine and well thought out.
With all guns blazing, wailing guitars, drums and silky smooth vocals, Sky Ferreira is one of those pop underdogs that will overthrow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Night Time, My Time (Audio CD)
I love this album. Each song has a different feel, it's full of different styles - and they're all great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Ltd) (Audio CD)
Sky is a mix of depressed youth plus some old great style that we don't find at the market right now, REALLY. I really indicate you to hear "Nobody Ask Me" and "Boys" to have a sense of my speech.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Night Time, My Time (Audio CD)
I actually bought this cd for my 16 year old son but it was on auto rip to my tablet. I thought by the front cover it would not be my sort of music (im 51 years young) but thought I would listen to it and, surprise surprise, I like it! Reminds me a bit of Blondie. Would recommend for anyone between the ages of 16 yrs and 50+.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut, LTD edition worth getting, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Ltd) (Audio CD)
A great first album with some really catchy hits, the 'ghost ep' that comes with the limited edition is a wonderful addition as it comes with probably my favorite songs of the lot

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the record, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Ltd) (Audio CD)
Night time my time i awesom! Sky is such a brilliant artist and i love her so so much... i hope she releases new stuff very soon :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Debut!, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Ltd) (Audio CD)
I first listened to Sky in her 'one' days,her synth filled electronic pop sounded like most music put of the market at the time,and so she fizzled out,not being given artistic freedom in what she was comfortable in doing.'Night Time My Time' however refrains form the 'old' and shows her in a new light, the amalgamation of grunge+80's pop baffled me;but it's made something that stands to be a very unique 'Pop' record-it's much more substantial than most of the disposable trash thats out today,Your not the one (musically) feels like an ode to 80's Madonna crossed with a PJ Harvey influenced Courtney Love,and it sounds sublime.It's infectious and grips like a vice,it's worth buying for that track alone! Boys is another example of a 90's feel house party jam.A promising debut from a VERY promising artist.
Best Track-Boys,Your Not The One,Omanko
Worst-I Blame Myself.
For Fans Of-Hole,Madonna (older),Charli XCX.

Night Time My Time (Ltd)
Night Time My Time (Ltd) by Sky Ferreira (Audio CD - 2014)