5.0 out of 5 stars It's the middle of the night and I'm so gone...
As far as describing the music of an LP pictorially, the cover of 'Night Time, My Time' is a pretty good signifier - nakedly confessional, a bit damaged, ugly/beautiful, dark and unashamedly confrontational. The album also contains my favourite collection of edgy, guitar-led synth pop since Chromatics' 'Kill For Love'.

In spite of taking an age to eventually...
Published 7 months ago by Tee Double You Bee Esq

2.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing
An album full of songs you hardly can tell apart. And depressing songs at that. No, showing youy nipples on the cover is not enough.
Published 1 month ago by Johan L

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the middle of the night and I'm so gone..., 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Audio CD)

In spite of taking an age to eventually appear, 'NTMT' is surprisingly cohesive and packed full of truly excellent, earworm tunes. Opening with the spiky 'Boys' which sounds like Kim Wilde fronting Suicide and covering Pulp's Common People (?!) it sets out a strong mission statement and carries it through. Sky's delivery is cool as you like but not aloof or precocious.
The lyrical and musical content of the album is a country mile away from the vacuous pop of Britney/Perry/Cyrus. 'I Blame Myself' is either a parody of a Gaga lifestyle or hilariously self-aware - either way it's a great tune. 'Omanko' is a bizarre but brilliant hissing beast - all motorik synth-chug with some particularly saucy lyrics if you translate...

The real gold is in the excellent scuzzy synth-rock tracks such as the ringing '24 Hours' - I can't help but see Molly Ringwald dreaming of John Bender post Breakfast Club whan I hear this. My personal highlight is 'You're Not The One' which instantly lodges in your brain after just one listen, the early/mid 80's distilled into a perfect pop song. 'Nobody Asked Me', 'Heavy Metal Heart', 'I Will' - all killer tracks with hooks to die for.
The album finishes with the astonishing, funereal title track which is like Cat Power fronting Shriekback (and every bit as great as that sounds)- the lyrics and title are based on lines spoken by Laura Palmer in Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

What really wins you over with this album is the sense of maturity and thoughtfulness that shines through. It reaches beyond the stroppy, angsty teen tropes which have been done to death and genuinely has something to say.
One of my favourite releases of 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the record, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Ltd) (Audio CD)
Night time my time i awesom! Sky is such a brilliant artist and i love her so so much... i hope she releases new stuff very soon :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut, LTD edition worth getting, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Ltd) (Audio CD)
A great first album with some really catchy hits, the 'ghost ep' that comes with the limited edition is a wonderful addition as it comes with probably my favorite songs of the lot

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Different!, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Ltd) (Audio CD)
Great album apart from the bilious CD artwork and dodgy lyrics in Omanko track. Otherwise it's pretty full on as a music experience and has memorable tracks such as 24 hours and Boys. Worth buying the limited edition version for the 'Ghost' CD extra. Recommended buy just for the experience of something different!

4.0 out of 5 stars better than expected, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Ltd) (Audio CD)
stunning debut album, comes with free ep of extra tracks. should be big this year if there's any justice in this world.

5.0 out of 5 stars The biggest pop surprise of 2013, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Ltd) (Audio CD)
I'm the first to admit - I didn't pay much attention to "Everything is Embarrassing" when it was released. So when I first heard Night Time, My Time, I didn't have much faith in Sky Ferreira.

Boy, consider me converted now. Night Time, My Time is an embarrassment of riches. It's not the obvious, mainstream pop; it's definitely pop, though. Does the term "alternative pop" exist? What does it mean, exactly? If it means "artist whose songs should be playing all the time on the radio and clubs", then it's an apt description. "I Will" is the best single Garbage has never recorded; "Boys" and "24 Hours" bring to mind the best moments of Ladyhawke; "I Blame Myself", with its John Hughes atmosphere, is heartbreaking as few songs in current pop are. And there's also "Heavy Metal Heart", which gets better the louder you hear it (just be careful with the neighbors). Summarizing: I haven't stopped listening to this album for months. It's that good.

(This great limited edition contains also the Ghost EP - and guess what? Now I'm in love with "Everything is Embarrassing" as well)

2.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing, 12 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Night Time, My Time, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Audio CD)
Sky Ferreira's debut LP 'Night Time, My Time' was worth the wait!!!
The album consists of electronic and pop/rock vibes, due to the brilliant production of Ariel Rechtshaid, who brought Charli XCX's incredible debut 'True Romance'.

Amazing album, well worth buying!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars More Than Meets The Eye...., 23 Mar 2014
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
It is blatantly apparent in the "artwork" for her debut album 'Night Time,
My Time' that Sky Ferreira is not in any way backward in coming forwards.
I wasn't too sure what to expect but truth-be-told the results are not
half bad in a sixties-girl-band-meets-post-grunge-Courtney-Love-kind
-of-way. We cannot pretend that Ms Ferreira has the finest of voices
but she does possess a certain raw louche energy which keeps things
moving along nicely and enough good stuff to keep our attention engaged.

From the grinding opening number 'Boys' with its dense Phil Spector-ish
ambience; through the nasty but nice Madonna-esque flourishes of 'I Blame
Myself' (quite a good tune actually!), to the breathless rock-chick antics
of 'Omanko' and curiously pretty machinations of 'Love In Stereo', I found
myself unaccountably falling just a little bit in love with her efforts.

It would appear that there's just a bit more to Ms Ferreira than meets the eye.

Brava!

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOPE YOU ARE O.K, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Night Time My Time (Ltd) (Audio CD)
In my mind Sky Ferreira is an absolute superstar whether this album goes multi platinum or sells a few thousand.
I was actually caught a bit off guard by this album expecting a somewhat aloof hip sound or songs diminished by the very of it's time pop of the brilliant Everything Is Embarrassing.Not so.This girl is all about the songs rather then dead eyed ironic posturing.And there is plenty here to suggest Everything Is Embarrassing was not a one off.
On I Blame Myself Sky is singing herself almost hoarse above one of the most insanely catchy tunes with heart and soul on sleeve.
There are shards of great influences through the album whether this be a bit of Courtney Love[kinda obvious]or [rather wonderfully]Suicide or [even cooler]Flock Of Seagulls.The title track is reminiscent of David Lynch.Two things are beyond certain
a]sky Ferreira has an awesome record collection
b]ariel's production on this is wicked.

This is in no doubt a brilliant pop album that should be massive.And hopefully it will silence the foul tribes of bullies who clog up youtube venting their internal anguish and terminal unhappiness onto Ferreira.
I make no bones about it when I saw her in Everything Is Embarrassing I was slack jawed at her beauty.I don't think I have seen someone who the camera loves as much.
At first with the album I was underwhelmed before suddenly I'd found myself walking the dog singing the wonderful chorus of Boys in my head.I could listen to her sing "I knew it was you all along" pretty much all day.
Then I Blame Myself starting tapping my cranium.
So what we have here is an emergence of a beautiful,individual special artist.
It is weird reading the negative views concerning Ferreira.....it seems that people almost want her to have a drug problem.
Then the old "authenticity" chestnut.What?
Since when does authenticity matter in the pantheon of pop music?
One of David Bowies earliest recordings concerned a Laughing Gnome.
Ironically what comes across mostly in the album is how open and simple it is.
The cover photo shot by French bad boy Gasper Noe is very striking and maybe is garnering controversy because it is showing vulnerability as opposed to Ferreira in an overtly sexual pose gyrating with a foam finger or phallic cork poppin champagne bottle.
Very nice album.
Stunning girl.Major talent.
I am in love.

Night Time My Time (Ltd)
Night Time My Time (Ltd) by Sky Ferreira (Audio CD - 2014)