5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!
downloaded the prologue, and i was captivated!! started too read the main book, and an incredible universe has been unleashed!! read this and you won't look back
Published 5 months ago by Henry Fox

3.0 out of 5 stars Good with some "but"s
I enjoyed the book. I enjoyed it quite a lot. The author has created a solid universe with an almost unlimited number of possibilities, I really liked some of the characters (Elm, Throam and Santani are great), the story is catchy and the writing style is really good. So very well on that side.

But there are a pair of issues that don't allow the book to get the...
Published 6 months ago by Interloper

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 3 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic - So much promise for future parts, 25 Feb 2014
Excellent

I read a lot of books and this has serious potential. A real page turner. Whilst not the same I remember feeling the same when I read Ender's Game for the first time. Knew it was bigger and wanted more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Mindblowing, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Steal from the Devil (Armada Wars Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
5/5 I highly recommend this book if you are a fan of Sci-Fi and books that always leave you on edge and wanting more. A fantastic book that utilises many great aspects to keep you very well stuck into it. With an in-depth storyline and characters I will defiantly be getting the second book and highly recommend others too as well.

Christopher Elliott

4.0 out of 5 stars Top introduction to the series, 1 July 2014
W. Stokeley "Heartbreak" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steal from the Devil (Armada Wars Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Reviewing this book fully would be a tad unfair because I picked it up, read about half, became embroiled in change in my job and resumed it about a month and a half down the road.

Although I lost track of it a bit during this interim period, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I think it has a great introduction to a wider world. The pacing is perfect too, each chapter and 'change of scene' well timed, building tension wonderfully (particularly towards the end's great set piece). The book also introduced a larger galaxy in a way which didn't seem overbearing on the reader, by which i mean it was written in a manner that wasn't condescending, but still explained the wider concepts that we were introduced to. Truly excellent stuff.

To be clear, this is a military scifi with a political dimension. If you liked the intrigue aspects of Dune, coupled with spectacular action scenes from recent scifi movies, this would be the book for you.

I picked up some nods to other genres of writing and cultural references.... Particularly the Hitchhikers Guide. Bioshock. Battlestar Galactica, Dune etc. I saw the late, great, Ian Banks reflected in the writing of Mr. Venture at times too. I can also tell that the author's career choice has had a profound effect on some of his phraseology.

There were even some black comedy elements here that I loved, and some satirical elements too. - one such quote that particularly stood out for me: "Sometimes the most effective idea was just so simple nobody could slow down their brain enough to think it up".

Hardly a in depth review then, but definitely a book I would recommend to scifi fans. Though perhaps not as an introduction to the genre, but I'm pretty sure the author never intended it to be one anyway.

I leave reiterating the comments i have seen from Amazon re this instalment in the series... I'm really looking forward to the next one, and will definitely be picking it up.

Finally, May favourite character, by far, was Maber Castigon and he is one I hope to see / hear much more of...

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Steal from the Devil (Armada Wars Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this world created by the author. What better compliment is there than to say it has left me looking forward to the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Steal from the Devil (Armada Wars Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I brought it and then read it in a day, this has left me hooked for more.
Its well written, with a good plot line that is exciting and mysterious, this is some of the best indie Sci-Fi I have read in a while.
This well worth the read if you are looking for good new indie authors or stories, I cant recommend it enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good with some "but"s, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Steal from the Devil (Armada Wars Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

But there are a pair of issues that don't allow the book to get the four-star rating (sorry, five stars are only for masterpieces). First, the whole book leaves you with the sensation of being a very large prologue. The main events of this book are nothing more than preliminaries for what is to come in the next books, and by the time the actual plot starts to develop... the book ends. So here I am now, desperate for putting my hands on the second volume (dear R. Curtis, if you need proof readers, please, PLEASE give me a call ^_^). And also, I think some of the characters really need to be further developed. Bruiser is an asset that, if used well, could be SO benefitial to the story arc.

And Eilentes. PLEASE give more life to Eilentes. I really can't believe that a high-skilled pilot that is also a great sniper has nothing else to contribute to the story than being in love with another character, making a fuss over a name, and being jealous. Sorry, but it is SO cliché and waste of a potentially great character... I usually don't like to make comparisons, but if you want to look at a great and rich female character, there you have Naomi from "The Expanse" trilogy. I believe THAT is a reference of what a well written female character is.

Apart from that, I enjoyed the book and I can't wait to put my hands on the second part.

Steal from the Devil (Armada Wars Book 1)
2.49