on 9 April 2015
If, like me, you have the series' boxed sets, it's great to have "The Time of the Doctor" but really irritating to have to buy it in this form - along with the Christmas specials (which are already on the afore mentioned boxed sets).

Come on BBC - what are you playing at?
on 18 August 2014
I am only marking this down, as you get ALL of Matt Smith's Christmas specials when, if you have series 6 and 7 - you will already have the Christmas Specials so it is a waste of a disc.But The Time Of The Doctor Disc IS good and includes, American produced documentaries which shows just how much Doctor Who Confidential is missed. wonderful farewell to Matt Smith though
on 25 December 2013
First off this is a bit cheeky getting people to repurchase specials from previous sets. However I will bite because Matt Smiths final performance was truly amazing!

As with many overly ambitious episodes of who, this promised more than it could deliver and although it was good they couldnt find the balance. Either make it longer and make use of the weeping angels and other protagonists more effectively or drop them from the story and then make it flow a bit better.

That gripe should make me drop this to three stars but Matt's final speech had me sitting with a lump in my throat as I remembered all the adventures he had taken us on! There was so much variety. Moffat seemed a bit unsure in places with what to do with the plot he had set up but Matt showed what a truly great actor he is at the end. There was no whining self referential farewell, kicking and screaming like the last doctor. Matt was dignified and his leaving really did feel like it was too soon. Though I thought David Tennant was superb, toward the end his doctor was becoming egotistical and self congratulating. More Russel T Davies fault than Davids but I had had enough. Matt brought an energy and innocence as though the Doctor was literally reborn. I know he has had a few poor episodes but for me he is the best Doctor of any series, classic or new. I wont spoil it if you have yet to view it but the final 10 mins are worth the price of the disc. A fitting end to a great 11th/12th timelord! Thank you Matt for giving me a great few years of adventures in time and space.

UPDATE: I missed a few things. Having gone back and rewatched it I have a greater appreciation of the episode. There are loads of subtle references to this doctors time in the tardis and also previous incarnations. The battle music played during the silence will fall speech is that of the tenth doctors as an example. This is a love letter to all the fans that bothered to follow the doctor through all the ups and downs. It reminds me of Babylon 5 in that you were rewarded for your investment. I'm sorry some don't get it but ultimately I feel appreciated for supporting the eleventh and Ifor the negs out there I can only ask you go back and watch series 5-7 again. If you don't want to do that I understand but base your reviews with that restriction in mind.
55 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 March 2015
The most beautiful Dr Who episode ever. I cried. Never has true love been portrayed so beautifully on film.
on 5 April 2015
Attention whovians this makes for a perfect night in........... don't forget your fez
on 7 November 2014
The product itself was exactly as described and works perfectly. The only problem I had was I was first delivered the wrong item so I had to send it back and wait for the correct one, but that didn't cost me any money, so it wasn't too bad
on 26 November 2014
I've not actually brought this yet, I'm about to, but the following needs to be said. The 3 stars are for 'The Time of the Doctor' which on the whole is ok, although the Time Lords giving the Doctor a new set of regenerations without actually appearing is a bit of a cop out by Head Writer Stephen Moffat in my opinion.

Now for the thing that really sucks (there's no other way of putting it) and frankly, baffles me. Why have the stories been released like this? Everyone adding this to their dvd collection DOES NOT want repeats of episodes they have in previous boxsets. Why is 'Night' and 'Day of the Doctor' not released as part of the series 8 boxset to link it up with where the series 7 boxset ends? Frankly this would have made series 8 more watch-able a second time.

In short, I now have to buy 3 DW boxsets this year to complete my collection, including some episodes I already have.. Completely unnecessary, BIG fail BBC
on 18 October 2014
Simply fantastic
on 14 January 2014
There's a lot of complaints here and elsewhere at the BBC's decision to include an extra disc featuring all the previous Christmas Specials for the Eleventh Doctor.

Please look at the price of this release.

That's the amount that it would have been priced at, even if the other specials weren't included.

The fact that they ARE included, and that the price hasn't altered at all, means that this release is actually great value for money. Plus it gives everyone who already has those episodes the choice to watch them on a different release.

I too have already got all of those other specials. I have them multiple times on multiple releases.
It won't stop me from buying this one though, like the completist that I am.

Relax, everyone.
99 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 April 2015
good, laugh, the doc rules, lol!