Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Voyage Shop Now Shop now

on 18 August 2014
I am only marking this down, as you get ALL of Matt Smith's Christmas specials when, if you have series 6 and 7 - you will already have the Christmas Specials so it is a waste of a disc.But The Time Of The Doctor Disc IS good and includes, American produced documentaries which shows just how much Doctor Who Confidential is missed. wonderful farewell to Matt Smith though
on 27 January 2014
'The Time of the Doctor' is the last story of the Matt Smith era!

This was shown on Christmas Day in 2013 towards the end of the 50th anniversary year of 'Doctor Who'. For me, this was a well-earned send-off to an actor I've grown to like as the Doctor. It's not the best episode I've seen, but it's a fitting tribute to Matt Smith.

This is a 2-disc DVD set with Disc 1 containing `The Time of the Doctor' and Disc 2 containing other Matt Smith 'Doctor Who' Christmas specials.

Let's go back to when the announcement was made when Matt Smith was leaving 'Doctor Who'. I was sad to hear Matt leaving. Honest. I didn't want Matt Smith to go. I had been rather critical about the way he played the Doctor, but felt he got better in Series 7 with Clara.

I was equally sad to hear that Matt's final story would be the 2013 Christmas special following 'The Day of the Doctor'. This wasn't enough time to last Matt Smith's departure. If he did one more season in 2014 before he left, it would have made the most of Matt's departure.

Despite this setback, I was keen to find out what would happen in Matt Smith's final episode and wished him when leaving `Doctor Who'.

Matt Smith's final episode wasn't bad as I thought it would be. I enjoyed watching it on Christmas Day. Although after speaking to some friends, they found it rather hard-going and complex. I sympathise with that, as it was a complex story with so many things going on in it.

The story is about a signal being sent from a backwater planet in the outer reaches of space as it summons the Doctor's enemies including Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, etc. The Doctor wants to find out why as he goes to the planet taking Clara with him during Christmas.

With the help of a torn-off Cyber-head called 'Handles' and an old acquaintance called Tasha Lem; the Doctor and Clara find the message sent by the Time Lords. It is sent through a crack in time. The crack in time is the same one that the Doctor discovered in 'The Eleventh Hour'.

The Doctor and Clara discover the planet is Trenzalore, where the Doctor is to die and be buried as seen in 'The Name of the Doctor'. The Doctor sends Clara back to Earth and defends the planet from all his enemies; and to avoid answering the question where 'silence will fall'.

Matt Smith delivers a really good performance as the Doctor. I didn't like some of the opening moments where the Doctor was 'starkers' and I found it shocking when we saw Matt's bald head, even though it got him and Clara out of a tricky situation with the Weeping Angels.

I liked the Doctor's relationship with Clara as they bond with each other, even though they're separated most of the time. I liked it when the Doctor was older and lived his life on Trenzalore. The make-up on Matt Smith's face is incredible and he delivers an amazing performance.

Jenna Coleman is lovely as Clara Oswald. She gets on well with Matt Smith's Doctor. I enjoyed it when Clara and the Doctor talk about regeneration, looking out to the sunrise and when she hugs her Gran. Clara pleading with the Time Lords to help the Doctor was lovely.

The guest cast are good too. There's Orla Brady as Tasha Lem, the Doctor's old acquaintance who tends to flirt with him. There's James Buller as Clara's Dad; Elizabeth Rider as Linda; Shiela Reid as Clara's Gran and Jack Hollington as Barnable, who is loyal to the Doctor on Trenzalore.

Talking about the monsters, I find this a problem. There are too many monsters to contend with making the story convoluted. It's like one of those 'Spider-Man 3' situations where the hero is faced with too many monsters allowing little room for the story and characters to develop.

The Daleks appear in this. I've always wanted the Daleks to be in a Christmas episode. But with the addition of other monsters, it didn't do the Daleks justice. Steven Moffat added the humans turned into Daleks with eye-stalks in their heads from 'Asylum of the Daleks'.

The Cybermen were okay, though we didn't get to see enough of them. I didn't really understand how the Doctor got a Cyberman's head calling it `Handles. Also...a wooden Cyberman?! No way! I don't buy that at all. That's such a silly and daft thing for Steven Moffat to do.

The Silence are back and I think it's rather good to have them in Matt Smith's final story. I liked it when Clara sees the Silence for the first time and she's terrified and forgets them when she looks away. I didn't get it when the Silence worked with the Doctor in the end.

The Weeping Angels are in this too. I found the scene where the Doctor and Clara are in the snowy wood and are surrounded by Weeping Angels very frightening. They try not to blink but he falling snow keeps getting in their eyes. That was an effective scene in the story.

In the end, the Time Lords give the Doctor a new regeneration life-cycle that was offered to the Master in `The Five Doctors'. It gets round the regeneration limit of Time Lords having thirteen lives. I didn't get this at first and think Steven Moffat should have made it clearer.

We have the last scenes with the Doctor and Clara in the TARDIS as he takes off from Trenzalore. The Doctor's reset to being young again before he regenerates. I like it when he has a bowl of fish fingers and custard and there's a cameo appearance by Karen Gillian as Amy Pond.

Then we have the 'regeneration', which was a bit sudden and rather disappointing since we didn't have the usual firework display. But I suppose Steven Moffat wanted a change, and we did get the fireworks display earlier when Matt Smith exploded destroying the Daleks.

Peter Capaldi appears as the Doctor in the last few minutes with Clara in the TARDIS. He's scary-looking and frightening, as he's got something of William Hartnell about him. I didn't know what to make of this new Doctor yet, but I was looking forward to finding out.

The DVD special features are as follows. There are three documentaries on Disc 1, including the 'Behind the Lens' documentary; the 'Tales from the TARDIS' documentary and the 'Farewell to Matt Smith' documentary focusing on the Matt Smith era of 'Doctor Who'.

Disc 2 is a bonus disc containing the first three Doctor Who Christmas specials with Matt Smith including 'A Christmas Carol','The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe' and 'The Snowmen'. This was rather pointless as the three Christmas specials are available on DVD already.

'The Time of the Doctor' isn't the best 'Who' episode and I think they should have spread it out over two episodes instead of one. But it's a decent swansong to end the Matt Smith era and he certainly has come into his own as the Doctor with Jenna Coleman as his companion.

Matt Smith! You're not David Tennant. But you definitely are the Doctor!

The next story for the Doctor and Clara is 'Deep Breath'.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 April 2015
If, like me, you have the series' boxed sets, it's great to have "The Time of the Doctor" but really irritating to have to buy it in this form - along with the Christmas specials (which are already on the afore mentioned boxed sets).

Come on BBC - what are you playing at?
on 25 December 2013
First off this is a bit cheeky getting people to repurchase specials from previous sets. However I will bite because Matt Smiths final performance was truly amazing!

As with many overly ambitious episodes of who, this promised more than it could deliver and although it was good they couldnt find the balance. Either make it longer and make use of the weeping angels and other protagonists more effectively or drop them from the story and then make it flow a bit better.

That gripe should make me drop this to three stars but Matt's final speech had me sitting with a lump in my throat as I remembered all the adventures he had taken us on! There was so much variety. Moffat seemed a bit unsure in places with what to do with the plot he had set up but Matt showed what a truly great actor he is at the end. There was no whining self referential farewell, kicking and screaming like the last doctor. Matt was dignified and his leaving really did feel like it was too soon. Though I thought David Tennant was superb, toward the end his doctor was becoming egotistical and self congratulating. More Russel T Davies fault than Davids but I had had enough. Matt brought an energy and innocence as though the Doctor was literally reborn. I know he has had a few poor episodes but for me he is the best Doctor of any series, classic or new. I wont spoil it if you have yet to view it but the final 10 mins are worth the price of the disc. A fitting end to a great 11th/12th timelord! Thank you Matt for giving me a great few years of adventures in time and space.

UPDATE: I missed a few things. Having gone back and rewatched it I have a greater appreciation of the episode. There are loads of subtle references to this doctors time in the tardis and also previous incarnations. The battle music played during the silence will fall speech is that of the tenth doctors as an example. This is a love letter to all the fans that bothered to follow the doctor through all the ups and downs. It reminds me of Babylon 5 in that you were rewarded for your investment. I'm sorry some don't get it but ultimately I feel appreciated for supporting the eleventh and Ifor the negs out there I can only ask you go back and watch series 5-7 again. If you don't want to do that I understand but base your reviews with that restriction in mind.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 November 2014
I've not actually brought this yet, I'm about to, but the following needs to be said. The 3 stars are for 'The Time of the Doctor' which on the whole is ok, although the Time Lords giving the Doctor a new set of regenerations without actually appearing is a bit of a cop out by Head Writer Stephen Moffat in my opinion.

Now for the thing that really sucks (there's no other way of putting it) and frankly, baffles me. Why have the stories been released like this? Everyone adding this to their dvd collection DOES NOT want repeats of episodes they have in previous boxsets. Why is 'Night' and 'Day of the Doctor' not released as part of the series 8 boxset to link it up with where the series 7 boxset ends? Frankly this would have made series 8 more watch-able a second time.

In short, I now have to buy 3 DW boxsets this year to complete my collection, including some episodes I already have.. Completely unnecessary, BIG fail BBC
on 14 January 2014
There's a lot of complaints here and elsewhere at the BBC's decision to include an extra disc featuring all the previous Christmas Specials for the Eleventh Doctor.

Please look at the price of this release.

That's the amount that it would have been priced at, even if the other specials weren't included.

The fact that they ARE included, and that the price hasn't altered at all, means that this release is actually great value for money. Plus it gives everyone who already has those episodes the choice to watch them on a different release.

I too have already got all of those other specials. I have them multiple times on multiple releases.
It won't stop me from buying this one though, like the completist that I am.

Relax, everyone.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 27 August 2014
Not as good as the 50th Anniversary special and needs at least 2 viewings to pick up everything in the story-line. However, great to have and be able to watch as and when.
on 30 August 2015
This DVD arrived in great condition and within a few days of ordering. I love Dr Who but I found myself not enjoying this as much as I had all the previous seasons. I can not pinpoint if this is because Peter Capaldi can not quite pull off his role or if it the story lines just not being up to the standard of previous seasons. I am leaning more towards it being a story line rather than actor issue.
on 5 March 2015
What an adventure! This is the end of the eleventh doctor and the very beginning of Peter Capaldi as the twelth. I love how the story ends: it fits perfectly with all the clues and pieces we saw in the Smith's seasons as the Doctor.
There are two discs in the box with all the Christmas specials played by Smith. Totally worth it!
on 16 April 2015
It's always hard to see him go again. In the end it's a nice story, with a cup of tea and a lot of tissues on the sofa. The Extras are done nicely. And are tense as a huge Matt Smith fan.
I also love the Christmas specials of the Moffat era, they are so nice and christmasy (I know that's not word! ;)).