4.0 out of 5 stars Good episode, but unnecessary extras
I am only marking this down, as you get ALL of Matt Smith's Christmas specials when, if you have series 6 and 7 - you will already have the Christmas Specials so it is a waste of a disc.But The Time Of The Doctor Disc IS good and includes, American produced documentaries which shows just how much Doctor Who Confidential is missed. wonderful farewell to Matt Smith though
Published 2 months ago by Jayke1981

3.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it, but the rest of the family were lost...
Obviously I don't own the DVD yet, so this is a review based purely on watching the episode broadcast on Christmas Day. Before I go on, I have to agree with the majority of other reviewers (so far) that it's a bit of a rip-off including Matt Smith's other Christmas specials on this particular release. I'm only going to be purchasing this for the 2013 special as I have...
Published 9 months ago by Mike Webster

4.0 out of 5 stars Good episode, but unnecessary extras, 18 Aug 2014
Jayke1981 (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doctor Who - The Time of the Doctor & Other Eleventh Doctor Christmas Specials [DVD] (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Farewell Matt Smith UPDATED, 25 Dec 2013
First off this is a bit cheeky getting people to repurchase specials from previous sets. However I will bite because Matt Smiths final performance was truly amazing!

As with many overly ambitious episodes of who, this promised more than it could deliver and although it was good they couldnt find the balance. Either make it longer and make use of the weeping angels and other protagonists more effectively or drop them from the story and then make it flow a bit better.

That gripe should make me drop this to three stars but Matt's final speech had me sitting with a lump in my throat as I remembered all the adventures he had taken us on! There was so much variety. Moffat seemed a bit unsure in places with what to do with the plot he had set up but Matt showed what a truly great actor he is at the end. There was no whining self referential farewell, kicking and screaming like the last doctor. Matt was dignified and his leaving really did feel like it was too soon. Though I thought David Tennant was superb, toward the end his doctor was becoming egotistical and self congratulating. More Russel T Davies fault than Davids but I had had enough. Matt brought an energy and innocence as though the Doctor was literally reborn. I know he has had a few poor episodes but for me he is the best Doctor of any series, classic or new. I wont spoil it if you have yet to view it but the final 10 mins are worth the price of the disc. A fitting end to a great 11th/12th timelord! Thank you Matt for giving me a great few years of adventures in time and space.

UPDATE: I missed a few things. Having gone back and rewatched it I have a greater appreciation of the episode. There are loads of subtle references to this doctors time in the tardis and also previous incarnations. The battle music played during the silence will fall speech is that of the tenth doctors as an example. This is a love letter to all the fans that bothered to follow the doctor through all the ups and downs. It reminds me of Babylon 5 in that you were rewarded for your investment. I'm sorry some don't get it but ultimately I feel appreciated for supporting the eleventh and Ifor the negs out there I can only ask you go back and watch series 5-7 again. If you don't want to do that I understand but base your reviews with that restriction in mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the 50th Anniversary special and needs at least ..., 27 Aug 2014
Not as good as the 50th Anniversary special and needs at least 2 viewings to pick up everything in the story-line. However, great to have and be able to watch as and when.

5.0 out of 5 stars Regarding the other Christmas Specials., 14 Jan 2014
There's a lot of complaints here and elsewhere at the BBC's decision to include an extra disc featuring all the previous Christmas Specials for the Eleventh Doctor.

Please look at the price of this release.

That's the amount that it would have been priced at, even if the other specials weren't included.

The fact that they ARE included, and that the price hasn't altered at all, means that this release is actually great value for money. Plus it gives everyone who already has those episodes the choice to watch them on a different release.

I too have already got all of those other specials. I have them multiple times on multiple releases.
It won't stop me from buying this one though, like the completist that I am.

Relax, everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars bargin, 4 Aug 2014
Well worth buying for a few of the christmas specials,and good price

5.0 out of 5 stars Ambiguously Excellent!, 28 Dec 2013
The writers were forced to: create an excellent Christmas special, wrap up the entire story ark of the eleventh Doctor, make the episode emotional - to show all of the elements of the character, write out Matt Smith, create an effective regeneration scene, show the incarnation's memories for the sake of nostalgia, clear up the regeneration limit, introduce something new for the next incarnation, introduce the new actor (Peter Capaldi), and make the transition meaningful, all in a single - hour long - episode; I think they made an excellent job under the circumstances. But will this set an impossible standard?

Some may be a little displeased with the episode, because it's what they believe to be "unsatisfactory", but how do you define that? At times, when a T.V show becomes popular enough, the expectations of the fans, go beyond reality - and not even an incredible episode like this one, can meet the expectations of those who can never be happy.

Personally, I think that the episode is a magnificent example of creativity, and real emotion. Some may see a couple of humorous elements to be "unnecessary", but all I can say is to please develop a sense of humor! Comical moments may not always fit the story art exactly, but they add an extra dimension to the show - which is much needed in a lot of others. The ending is also in my opinion touching, and fitting for the incarnation - ending in a blaze of glory, and an emotional speech. Many see Matt Smith's departure as too quick, and insufficiently dramatic; I however see the actual change from Matt to Peter as an excellent way of allowing the moment to set in, by reminding the audience of the core of the character himself; ironically followed by an almost instant and shocking regeneration moment - this is however separate from the main section of the regular cycle, which involved the glory that I talked about above.

This structure of a lack of any transition from one moment and the next, is perfectly represented in this special - compressing everything that was presented in the era, into a single episode. Be it the immediate final regeneration, or the change from almost childish moments of joy, to dramatic moments of shock and almost emotional trauma - fitting for a final episode.

To conclude, the episode is a perfect method to end an era, and must be seen by any fan - major or minor - or any intelligent and tasteful person. The standard for the story telling seems to have leaped from sometimes slapdash story arks, to the dramatic storytelling of the Name, Day and Time of the Doctor trilogy; this is likely due to Matt Smith's departure, following the regular pattern of a temporarily raised story line - in a similar fashion to David Tennant's era, resulting in the following episodes being terrible due to the comparison. Nonetheless, the standard has been set once again, and due to the significant number of reviews on Amazon, who complain that they are not entirely "happy" with the quality of this epic tale, such standard could backfire on the show, simply because the truth is that it's impossible to make everyone happy - as I have said before. All arguments aside, I strongly recommend that you enjoy the episode, before being influenced by other people.

Please note that I'm reviewing "The Time of The Doctor" only, as it is the most significant of the DVD set, at the time of this writing.

- C. J. Evans, author of 'The Falling Lemmings' (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Falling-Lemmings-Tale-Corruption-ebook/dp/B00MDXZWAK/).

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Aug 2014
J. Ellison (UK) - See all my reviews
Just great value and a real must for WHO fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab episode!, 30 Sep 2014
My son and I enjoyed watching this so much at Christmas, we kept it on our V+ box to watch again, so have decided to make space on the box, and bought it for him to go in his stocking this year!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely collection., 20 Sep 2014
What can I say......Ultimate collection of Matt Smith's Christmas special's all rolled into one..TOTHD is the ultimate crying experience...excellent acting and humour all rolled into one.x

5.0 out of 5 stars A great end to the 11th Doctor, 31 Dec 2013
David J. Ponsford "DJP63" (Doncaster, South Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The episode in question was a wonderful send off to Matt Smith, I was only disappointed that there was no new season review at the end, so when we will see doctor number 12 is anyone's guess. Having read some comments about this including the other specials, I agree that I already have them, but given the price of this Blu-ray compared to others you are hardly paying a fortune for privilege of having the extra's.