5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbeat, Heartbreak, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Persona 4: The Animation - Volume 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I bought this shortly after completing the game myself. I think it's a good adaptation of a very long game, I would imagine that condensing 80 hours down into 26 episodes is very difficult.

The first episodes are certainly a flurry of activity as they rush to get all of the main characters together quickly. Some people are of the opinion that the pacing is a problem in this, but I personally didn't have a problem with it. What I would say is that if you hadn't played the game, you might occasionally get lost as to what's going on.

I watched with Japanese audio and English subtitles, because I played the game in English, and was interested to hear the Japanese voices. Interestingly, every character sounds exactly as you'd imagine them to sound, which I suppose is more of a compliment to the dubbing done for the game.

Also, just to blow your minds, the japanese voice actor for Teddie also voiced L from Death Note.

Anyway - I'd recommend this to any fan of the series. If you have absolutely no way of getting hold of the game, or you don't like JRPGs, you might find watching this to be better for you. For anyone else, I'd recommend playing the game first. I hear that you can get the on the PS3 online shop for cheap, although I'd heartily recommend P4 Golden (on the Vita) as it is beautiful and you can play it anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to Inaba, the Midnight Channel awaits., 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Persona 4: The Animation - Volume 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
No matter how many times you watch this series, you'll enjoy every moment of it. Persona 4 is one of the best adaptions to come out of Japan, the story is faithful to the games, the characters are likable too.

Contains Episodes 1-9
Format: Blu Ray
Audio: English/Japanese
Subtitles: English
Region: B

Pretty much all of the game cast return, besides Chie and Teddie who have new voices, and Kanji has a new actor mid way through the series. The dub in general is quite well done.

The story starts with Yu Narukami, the protagonist moving to Inaba to stay with his uncle Dojima and his cousin Nanako. It starts as a typical highschool story with Yu attending Yasugami High and making new friends in Chie, Yukiko and meeting up with Yousuke. Though the pace initially starts slow in the first episode, when someone turns up murdered, an occurance that never happens in Inaba, things take an interesting turn.

Through circumstance, Narukami, along with Yousuke and Chie are drawn through the TV in Junes and end up in the TV world. Once there they encounter strange creatures known as Shadows, and after some running around and general drama, when Narukami is backed into a corner, he hears his inner voice and awakens his Persona Izanagi. After promptly dispatching the shadows, and with Yousuke and Teddie in awe at what they had just witnessed, they resolve to investigate the link between the TV world and the murders in Inaba and the existence of the Midnight channel.

When Narukami decides to form an investigation team along with Chie and Yousuke and Yukiko, the group slowly but surely increases in size like with the game. In the group they discuss their thoughts on the events that had transpired and resolve to rescue anyone who appears on the Midnight Channel.

Much like in the game, all of the characters that are thrown into the TV world by the murderer have their own demons to face and each have their own problems to solve, which their shadow makes them realise. When their shadow is defeated, they gain their Persona and a new found lease on life.

Also shown in the anime is the social link take on situations and the scenarios that play out in the game. While there is a fair amount of group bonding in their downtime, due to the anime being 26 episodes long, it can't cover everything in that regard but it covers enough.

There is a lot to like in this series, and it's something thats well worth checking out.

4.0 out of 5 stars The show in general is pretty good, I feel there's bits where maybe I ..., 8 Feb. 2015
Mr. C. J. P. Keane "omaru_sd" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Persona 4: The Animation - Volume 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Well I wanted to play the Persona 4 game so I could play the Arena games in the series, except I don't have a VITA, and PSN are probably not ever going to release the PS2 version on their store so I was left with one option, the animation.

The show in general is pretty good, I feel there's bits where maybe I missed something, or maybe the series didn't have time to tell something because you've got 25x 20 mins to tell a story, whereas the game probably has a bit mroe time to tell the story.

I'm not a fan of volumes though, not only do you have to wait for the next instalment, but they are overpriced, I'd rather wait for a complete series though this has been complete for a while, it's looking doubtful we'll ever see one. I was fortunate enough to find these on a streaming site about 18 months ago. The Dub is great I understand nearly everyone from the game has reprised their roles. When you hear Amanda Winn's voice as Yukio you'll probably fall in love with her instantly.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's is a blue ray of a fantastic series. It was first an RPG then later ..., 23 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Persona 4: The Animation - Volume 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It's is a blue ray of a fantastic series. It was first an RPG then later became a fighting game and an anime which quite phenomenal to be all three; suppose it deserves it, the games are so challenging and unique, the animation adaptation was spot on to the game but still felt new and fresh which was amazing. I would recommend anyone, even if you haven't played the games to watch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Persona 4: The Animation - Volume 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Watched all of these (Vol. 1, 2 & 3) after finishing the game on the Vita. Suitable if you want to get the Persona 4 story in shorter time (10 hours) than trying to finish the game (60+ hours), also you get to meet all the characters and get the true ending that you may not get in one playthrough of this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the game and love this., 1 May 2014
This review is from: Persona 4: The Animation - Volume 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I saw a few episodes after playing the game and I was happy to find this blu-ray. I have enjoyed this series immensely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 5 Mar. 2014
I love it I'm a hard fan to please when it comes to anime but persona 4 :The animation is just amazing.
I will defo say to anyone who loves the game to get the dvd and all of the volumes. I say the only down side about the animation is that I wish they would have made more episodes they have missed some great bits out but apart from that its got to be one of the best anime and best RPG I've seen for a very very long time

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Feb. 2015
great

Persona 4: The Animation - Volume 1 [Blu-ray]
Persona 4: The Animation - Volume 1 [Blu-ray] by Seiji Kishi (Blu-ray - 2014)