Published 8 months ago by Purpleheart

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a great product and yet the strap is totally inadequate
Published 4 months ago by Mrs M J Edley

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a great product and yet the strap is totally inadequate, 23 July 2014
I no longer have my Vivofit. It didn't leave my side from the day I bought it and I used the heart rate monitor to make sure I was training safely. The strap is rubbish. If you catch it at all, the watch unclips - such that I have now lost the watch. It's such a shame that such a great product fails on something so simple.. but in the end a complete waste of money.

Like some of the other customers below, I will contact Garmin - at least if we tell them they might do something but it doesn't pay for a replacement!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fitness monitor with ability to link to HRM and Garmin Connect, 26 Mar 2014
Purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will update this review when I've had my Vivofit monitor for longer, but wanted to post now as it's recently become available in the UK and many will be wondering how it compares with other fitness monitors and I'm able to compare it with the fitbit flex.. My left wrist is currently sporting both my Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker & Sleep Wristband and my Garmin Vivofit so that I can do a direct comparison. I have also owned previous incarnations of the fitbit - the ultra and the one, and was awaiting the (now withdrawn) fitbit force with much anticipation.

I was lucky enough to get the Vivofit bundle with the Garmin HRM strap and have found that very useful. Vivofit works with any ANT+ strap, so if you already have one then just this unit is all you need.

Pros

+ Vivofit can be linked to a HRM so you can view your rate rate as you run - Vivofit works with any ANT+ straps so if you have one already you don't need the bundle
+ Vivofit links to Garmin Connect. The Heart rate band picks up higher heart rates and logs them as activities. If you already have a Garmin it is possible to integrate this with the rest of your data
+ Garmin Connect data can be uploaded to the Fitbit site, so there is the possibility of using this tracker and the overall calorie in/out info provided by the excellent Fitbit site (I haven't tested this capability yet)
+ Charge is via watch batteries and should last a year, rather than via USB every few days/per week
+ Waterproof to 50 meters, so good for swimmers
+ Display is on permanently and you can toggle through steps (daily total), goal (steps remaining), distance covered (in miles or kilometers), calories burned, time, date and heart rate (when connected via HRM strap) and you can remove any of these via the website.
+ Goal for daily steps is automatically set based on your performance to date, though this can be manually overridden. Default start is 7500 which is lower than fitbit's 10,000 default
+ Set up is straightforward and syncing is via USB dongle on your computer or via the Garmin connect app. Videos are available online and instructions point you to the online site
+ Website Connect UI for vivofit is widget based and not dissimilar to the fitbit one in look, but has less functionality and is generally less slick
+ Bracelet clasp feels secure and is similar to the fitbit flex
+ Has a sleep function
+ Has a red inactivity bar which highlights when you have been inactive for an hour or so. This has prompted me to get moving when it catches your eye.

Cons

- No altimeter, so doesn't give you a stair count like the fitbit one does and the withdrawn fitbit force did
- Display is always on, but doesn't have a back light so can't be read it in the dark
- Style is functional rather than aesthetically pleasing and it's a bit clunky and heavier than others (trade off with the battery life) and it's certainly less pretty than, say, the jawbone. Other colour straps are available though.
- Website does not have the food database of fitbit and the links to partner sites such as Withings and MyFitnessPa,l but Connect data can be ported to Fitbit
- Sleep function is rudimentary and does not provide as much analysis as the fitbit, for e.g.
- Have to press button to initiate sync instead of it happening in background (no doubt to preserve battery life)

In terms of accuracy: the Vivofit and my Fitbit units are providing almost identical measures when compared - within 5%

In terms of websites the fitbit website is better for overall healthy lifestyle monitoring as you can get an overall picture of calories in and out. There is the possibility of syncing my Vivofit data to the Fitbit site automatically and I will test that over the next few days to check that double counting does not happen when wearing both devices.

One of things that I have found most motivating about wearing my fitbit has been the linking with friends on a leaderboard for competition and, of course, I would lose that if I were to switch. I will report back once I have used them in tandem for longer.

In summary:
--------------

If you're already a Garmin user then this will fit in nicely with your suite of other gadgets. If you're already a Fitbit user then the reason to change would be for the link to HRM info on the tracker. Currently, I wear a Polar RS300X G1 Heart Rate Monitor and Sports Watch when running and it would be nice to cut down on devices. The other reason to change would be for the convenience of not having to think about charging your tracker, though the fitbit sends me warning messages when charge is low and charging takes only an hour or so. You'd have to weight those advantages against the less good website, the overall calorie in/out info and the history and links to friends that you'll have set up.

If you're in the market for a new tracker and are more interested in fitness activity than in measuring both your calorie input and output then this is a great unit - especially with the HRM strap as an add on.

Highly recommended

Update 18/12/2014 Although it's my Fitbit Charge that I wear every day now I was very impressed with the Garming Vivofit and particularly like it for its link to an HRM when running. I have never had any problem with the clasp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun, 10 Oct 2014
I bought two Vivofit Bands one for me one for the wife. We have now worn them for a week and the problem with the band coming undone has not happened. The bands we got have a band on the strap that covers where you attach it with the studs, the cover also clips in place so will not move. They have been great fun to use and as we both have one there is an element of competition appearing. I had an account with Garmin for a GPS so registering it was not a problem, however when I attempted to register my wifes it would not allow me to get the full use of the software as it thought it was my second band because it was on the same E mail address. Once I created an E mail address for my wife it worked and she now has her own data page. Would recommend if like us you want to crate a guide to how much you move around during the day. It will not register if you are on a bike or pushing the lawnmower as your hands are not moving.All in all good fun very accurate Pedometer Plus.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very insufficient clasp!, 9 May 2014
This product should be awarded 5 stars for it's usability, programmes and capabilities but unfortunately it's major flaw is the clasp. I bought this for my fiancé as a birthday present because he's a keen cyclist and runner and I knew it would suit his requirements, on day 2 of using it the clasp came loose just from putting his coat on and the next day from just closing the car door! The title vivofit would indicate (correctly) it is meant for use during fitness activities, sure enough day 5 the watch must have come off on his bike ride never to be seen again. For £100 I'd have expected at least a proper watch clasp not something I've seen on children's dress up bracelets, 2 push through nodules and a weak magnet, I have contacted garmin to discuss this fault in design but have not had any feedback :-(

1.0 out of 5 stars Strap came off and got lost within a week, 6 Dec 2014
Having bought this product last week, it has already been lost. The tracking functions work well, but given that it is designed for active use, I am surprised that the wrist band is so poor.

The design of the wrist band is 2 tabs which feed through holes on the strap, and testing the spare which came in the box, it's clear that it can come undone quite easily if twisted. It's also worth noting that due to the design of the product, it would be difficult to swap the band for something more durable such as a watch strap.

Edit: thankfully, somebody has found my Vivofit and it has been returned to me. Inspecting my strap compared to my wife's, hers came with a rubber strip which goes around the band to stop it coming loose; mine was not supplied with this, which was the cause of the issue with the product. I suggest that anybody who purchases this product ensures that they have this. For now, I'm using a rubber band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Witness Fitness!, 28 April 2014
Newton "Sassy Brit" (Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Honestly, this monitors your progress, tracking your movements and sleep - to some this may sound very Big Brother! There's no more pretending to walk the dog with one of these little fellas; the step count just doesn't lie.

What I love about the Garmin Vivofit Wireless Fitness Wrist Band and Activity Monitor-
With a click of the button on the front of the band I can scroll through a screen, which clearly shows:
a) My step goal
b) The distance I have travelled
c) My actual step count
d) The time
e) The date
f) My heart rate (although this only shows when using a heart rate monitor - that is separate to buy)
g) The 'red line' that appears as a reminder when I've been sitting too long.
Handy if you work in an office, and a quick trip to the loo, or the photocopier will solve this.
h) it's easy to sync (using a dongle plugged into your computer) by pressing and holding down the button on the wristband until the word 'Sync' appears.
i) It's easy to 'put yourself to sleep' by holding down the same button a little bit longer until you see the word 'Sleep'. This makes keeping count of my sleeping hours until I awake in the morning. Great to see if you getting enough sleep each night.
j) BEST OF ALL it does not need re-charging weekly, like one of its competitors 'FITBIT FLEX Activity AND Sleep Tracker' does, and for me that is a real annoyance. A smart move for the Garmin Guys!
k) I also LOVE that I can connect with others doing similar challenges without paying extra!
l) It's water-resistant (up to 50 metres), so you can shower with it on. This I haven't tested though as I do not have a shower, and I think submersing it in a bath for long periods may be asking for trouble...

Dislike?

Hmmmm. If comparing to the Fitbit, which I still think is very good and worth a try - the Garmin Wristband is chunkier and not so sleek looking. At first I didn't like this, but it's actually grown on me, especially as all the other Garmin features are so cool.

I love it, and would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Whether you have large or small heath goals, the Garmin Vivofit Wireless Fitness Wrist Band and Activity Monitor will help you keep track of them, so you can actually witness your fitness all day long!

4.0 out of 5 stars OK few niggles though, 18 Jun 2014
i kind of like the fact that when you get up its good to see, how good or bad your sleep actually was and i like seeing how many steps i have done which seems more accurate than most pedometers BUT i hate the fact that it keeps falling off my wrist!! I also don't understand the whole calorie burning thing?? according to this i have burned more than 500 calories whilst just sleeping?? seems a little off to me, but i do like the way you can plot your progress on graphs etc and motivate yourself into more exercise, even just how far you would walk doing housework, the biggest bain is definitely the catch holding it on your wrist, you would think that with something so expensive they would have something a little better

4.0 out of 5 stars I was pleased with it but unfortunately I ignored other comments regarding ..., 5 Sep 2014
The band worked very well, I was pleased with it but unfortunately I ignored other comments regarding the way the clip is/was insecure. One day it just wasn't on my wrist anymore. Maybe Garmin has found a way to sell more. Despite many many complaints on the web they still sell the band with a totally insecure method of closing. I could therefor not recommend this unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great device but useless strap, 28 July 2014
Whilst the device itself is very good at what it does and is a potential market leader, my issue is that it is designed to be worn on the wrist yet is secured by only a push shut plastic clip which has proven itself to be completely inadequate.

On several occasions I have noticed the device falling of my wrist by simply rubbing against myself or clothing as the clips can very easily be removed with little pressure. This is exasperated by the fact it is a watch like strap so has a certain amount of overhanging tab which is prone to catch on anything and everything.

On most occasions it has been ok as I have noticed it imedatiely, however recently I was walking along the beach when I noticed it was missing. This resulted in having to retrace 3 miles of steps in the vain hope that I would find it again. It was only thanks to the honesty of some unknown person that I indeed did recover it when I found someone had picked it up and put it on a bench near the start of our walk. Since this time I have been scared to wear it in case I was to lose it again – very much defeating the purpose of a fitness device meant to track activities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 5 Jun 2014
I previously had a FitBit Flex which needed charging everyday and was a bit temperamental until the battery finally stopped charging at all. After a bit of looking I chose the Vivofit because it ran on watch batteries and has the support of the Garmin website. I couldn't be happier, set up was painless, everyday use is easy, it is accurate to a point and has performed faultlessly so far.

One area which is poor is the accelerometer for measuring steps. It can be fooled in a car if there are bumps it thinks you have taken steps and yet been sat down all day.

Other than that a good piece of kit and a good motivator to keep moving.