4.0 out of 5 stars OK few niggles though
Published 5 months ago by maisies mummy

1.0 out of 5 stars Very insufficient clasp!
Published 6 months ago by Rhee

4.0 out of 5 stars OK few niggles though, 18 Jun 2014
i kind of like the fact that when you get up its good to see, how good or bad your sleep actually was and i like seeing how many steps i have done which seems more accurate than most pedometers BUT i hate the fact that it keeps falling off my wrist!! I also don't understand the whole calorie burning thing?? according to this i have burned more than 500 calories whilst just sleeping?? seems a little off to me, but i do like the way you can plot your progress on graphs etc and motivate yourself into more exercise, even just how far you would walk doing housework, the biggest bain is definitely the catch holding it on your wrist, you would think that with something so expensive they would have something a little better

1.0 out of 5 stars Very insufficient clasp!, 9 May 2014
This product should be awarded 5 stars for it's usability, programmes and capabilities but unfortunately it's major flaw is the clasp. I bought this for my fiancé as a birthday present because he's a keen cyclist and runner and I knew it would suit his requirements, on day 2 of using it the clasp came loose just from putting his coat on and the next day from just closing the car door! The title vivofit would indicate (correctly) it is meant for use during fitness activities, sure enough day 5 the watch must have come off on his bike ride never to be seen again. For £100 I'd have expected at least a proper watch clasp not something I've seen on children's dress up bracelets, 2 push through nodules and a weak magnet, I have contacted garmin to discuss this fault in design but have not had any feedback :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fitness monitor with ability to link to HRM and Garmin Connect, 26 Mar 2014
Purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will update this review when I've had my Vivofit monitor for longer, but wanted to post now as it's recently become available in the UK and many will be wondering how it compares with other fitness monitors and I'm able to compare it with the fitbit flex.. My left wrist is currently sporting both my Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker & Sleep Wristband and my Garmin Vivofit so that I can do a direct comparison. I have also owned previous incarnations of the fitbit - the ultra and the one, and was awaiting the (now withdrawn) fitbit force with much anticipation.

I was lucky enough to get the Vivofit bundle with the Garmin HRM strap and have found that very useful. Vivofit works with any ANT+ strap, so if you already have one then just this unit is all you need.

Pros

+ Vivofit can be linked to a HRM so you can view your rate rate as you run - Vivofit works with any ANT+ straps so if you have one already you don't need the bundle
+ Vivofit links to Garmin Connect. The Heart rate band picks up higher heart rates and logs them as activities. If you already have a Garmin it is possible to integrate this with the rest of your data
+ Garmin Connect data can be uploaded to the Fitbit site, so there is the possibility of using this tracker and the overall calorie in/out info provided by the excellent Fitbit site (I haven't tested this capability yet)
+ Charge is via watch batteries and should last a year, rather than via USB every few days/per week
+ Waterproof to 50 meters, so good for swimmers
+ Display is on permanently and you can toggle through steps (daily total), goal (steps remaining), distance covered (in miles or kilometers), calories burned, time, date and heart rate (when connected via HRM strap) and you can remove any of these via the website.
+ Goal for daily steps is automatically set based on your performance to date, though this can be manually overridden. Default start is 7500 which is lower than fitbit's 10,000 default
+ Set up is straightforward and syncing is via USB dongle on your computer or via the Garmin connect app. Videos are available online and instructions point you to the online site
+ Website Connect UI for vivofit is widget based and not dissimilar to the fitbit one in look, but has less functionality and is generally less slick
+ Bracelet clasp feels secure and is similar to the fitbit flex
+ Has a sleep function
+ Has a red inactivity bar which highlights when you have been inactive for an hour or so. This has prompted me to get moving when it catches your eye.

Cons

- No altimeter, so doesn't give you a stair count like the fitbit one does and the withdrawn fitbit force did
- Display is always on, but doesn't have a back light so can't be read it in the dark
- Style is functional rather than aesthetically pleasing and it's a bit clunky and heavier than others (trade off with the battery life) and it's certainly less pretty than, say, the jawbone. Other colour straps are available though.
- Website does not have the food database of fitbit and the links to partner sites such as Withings and MyFitnessPa,l but Connect data can be ported to Fitbit
- Sleep function is rudimentary and does not provide as much analysis as the fitbit, for e.g.
- Have to press button to initiate sync instead of it happening in background (no doubt to preserve battery life)

In terms of accuracy: the Vivofit and my Fitbit units are providing almost identical measures when compared - within 5%

In terms of websites the fitbit website is better for overall healthy lifestyle monitoring as you can get an overall picture of calories in and out. There is the possibility of syncing my Vivofit data to the Fitbit site automatically and I will test that over the next few days to check that double counting does not happen when wearing both devices.

One of things that I have found most motivating about wearing my fitbit has been the linking with friends on a leaderboard for competition and, of course, I would lose that if I were to switch. I will report back once I have used them in tandem for longer.

In summary:
--------------

If you're already a Garmin user then this will fit in nicely with your suite of other gadgets. If you're already a Fitbit user then the reason to change would be for the link to HRM info on the tracker. Currently, I wear a Polar RS300X G1 Heart Rate Monitor and Sports Watch when running and it would be nice to cut down on devices. The other reason to change would be for the convenience of not having to think about charging your tracker, though the fitbit sends me warning messages when charge is low and charging takes only an hour or so. You'd have to weight those advantages against the less good website, the overall calorie in/out info and the history and links to friends that you'll have set up.

If you're in the market for a new tracker and are more interested in fitness activity than in measuring both your calorie input and output then this is a great unit - especially with the HRM strap as an add on.

Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Witness Fitness!, 28 April 2014
Mrs. T. Newton "Sassy Brit" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Honestly, this monitors your progress, tracking your movements and sleep - to some this may sound very Big Brother! There's no more pretending to walk the dog with one of these little fellas; the step count just doesn't lie.

What I love about the Garmin Vivofit Wireless Fitness Wrist Band and Activity Monitor-
With a click of the button on the front of the band I can scroll through a screen, which clearly shows:
a) My step goal
b) The distance I have travelled
c) My actual step count
d) The time
e) The date
f) My heart rate (although this only shows when using a heart rate monitor - that is separate to buy)
g) The 'red line' that appears as a reminder when I've been sitting too long.
Handy if you work in an office, and a quick trip to the loo, or the photocopier will solve this.
h) it's easy to sync (using a dongle plugged into your computer) by pressing and holding down the button on the wristband until the word 'Sync' appears.
i) It's easy to 'put yourself to sleep' by holding down the same button a little bit longer until you see the word 'Sleep'. This makes keeping count of my sleeping hours until I awake in the morning. Great to see if you getting enough sleep each night.
j) BEST OF ALL it does not need re-charging weekly, like one of its competitors 'FITBIT FLEX Activity AND Sleep Tracker' does, and for me that is a real annoyance. A smart move for the Garmin Guys!
k) I also LOVE that I can connect with others doing similar challenges without paying extra!
l) It's water-resistant (up to 50 metres), so you can shower with it on. This I haven't tested though as I do not have a shower, and I think submersing it in a bath for long periods may be asking for trouble...

Dislike?

Hmmmm. If comparing to the Fitbit, which I still think is very good and worth a try - the Garmin Wristband is chunkier and not so sleek looking. At first I didn't like this, but it's actually grown on me, especially as all the other Garmin features are so cool.

I love it, and would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Whether you have large or small heath goals, the Garmin Vivofit Wireless Fitness Wrist Band and Activity Monitor will help you keep track of them, so you can actually witness your fitness all day long!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great device but useless strap, 28 July 2014
Whilst the device itself is very good at what it does and is a potential market leader, my issue is that it is designed to be worn on the wrist yet is secured by only a push shut plastic clip which has proven itself to be completely inadequate.

On several occasions I have noticed the device falling of my wrist by simply rubbing against myself or clothing as the clips can very easily be removed with little pressure. This is exasperated by the fact it is a watch like strap so has a certain amount of overhanging tab which is prone to catch on anything and everything.

On most occasions it has been ok as I have noticed it imedatiely, however recently I was walking along the beach when I noticed it was missing. This resulted in having to retrace 3 miles of steps in the vain hope that I would find it again. It was only thanks to the honesty of some unknown person that I indeed did recover it when I found someone had picked it up and put it on a bench near the start of our walk. Since this time I have been scared to wear it in case I was to lose it again – very much defeating the purpose of a fitness device meant to track activities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fills A Gap In My Training Regime, 6 Nov 2014
I bought two Garmin Vivofit fitness bands; a blue one for my wife and a black one for myself. The Vivofit with the blue band came with a 'vivokeeper' safety band, the black one did not. I mention this because other reviewers have reported that the bands have come undone whilst wearing them (more on this later).

The setup instructions that came with the fitness band is sparse and very basic. After a search on the internet, however, I found an on-line manual here

This will fully explain the setup procedure and therefore I won't duplicate it here.

There are two things you must do. The first is to download either Garmin express for your computer or the Garmin express app. for use with a smartphone. This download is used purely to sync the Vivofit. If using the fitness band on a smartphone, Bluetooth must be enabled; on the computer a small USB + Ant stick is provided and must be put into a spare USB port on the computer Once this app is download and you have paired your device with the app, you will be invited to setup an account with Garmin Connect. This is the business side of the whole kaboodle.

Garmin connect is where you see the results of your endeavours and is also a 'control panel' for setting up your device and user settings. Neither of these can be done directly from the fitness band. Each time you sync the fitness band using Garmin Express, not only will your daily endeavours be uploaded to Garmin Connect, but also any changes you have made to the device and user settings in Garmin Connect will be downloaded to Vivofit. There is a link from Garmin Express to your Garmin Connect Account. Those who use other Garmin fitness products will be familiar with this process.

The Strap:
I have worn the Vivofit (the one without the vivokeeper) continuously for about a week. Every day during that time, I have done weight training in the gym, swimming and other domesticated things like showering etc. So far, the strap has not come undone. When lane swimming at particularly busy times at the pool, on a few occasions, I have hit the strap accidentally on the lane ropes. The strap did not come undone. It also behaved itself when I caught the strap on clothing. Having said that, if, like me, after reading other reviews, you have concerns about the strap coming undone, for extra safety you can order a free 'Vivokeeper' here. So far though, I've had no problems with the strap.

Delivery time for the Vivokeeper is 4 to 6 weeks.

Accuracy
The fitness band converts the number of daily steps you take into equivalent mileage. I decided to check the accuracy using my Garmin Forerunner 305 (GPS enabled) watch which I use for training. I appreciate that there will be some inaccuracies with the GPS watch but I estimate that the fitness band is about 90% to 94% accurate when using my height as the default setting. It is possible to calibrate your pace length by putting the result of how many steps it takes you to cover ten feet. To be honest, I tried this and found that the accuracy got worse. It was probably because I wasn't walking at my normal stride length when counting my steps over ten feet.

Heart Rate Monitor
I already own a Garmin heart rate monitor that came with my Garmin Forerunner, hence I bought the fitness band only. As a result, the device setting on this particular Vivofit had no 'page' for heart rate. I therefore had to go to Garmin connect and tick a box to allow heart rate to be displayed (remember to sync fitness band). The fitness band paired very quickly with the heart rate monitor and for me, I found this very useful for getting 'into the zone' when using aerobic fitness equipment in the gym. It was also useful for counting calories whilst swimming. I understand that if you purchase the fitness band version that comes with a heart rate monitor, the 'heart' page will already be set as a default setting.

Summary
I found the fitness band to be neat and unobtrusive. The display is very clear and easy to read. There is only one button on the band that you use to scroll through the different pages. It is really easy to use. Having said that, it took me a couple of days to get used to the various symbols so I knew what information I was looking at on the display. Alas, there is no backlight so when it gets dark you are unable to read the display.

If you want a training aid for use in sport then this is not really for you. However, if you want to keep track of how many calories you are burning and need an incentive to get out and do something, set yourself goals and join online challenges then yes, I would recommend it. Indeed for me, the great thing it has got going for it is that I can wear it whilst swimming (waterproof up to 50 metres) and get an idea of how many calories I'm burning in the gym. My Garmin Forerunner 305 will not allow me to do either of these things because it needs a GPS signal to determine what distance I have travelled in order to give me a calorie burn figure. So for me, now I have the fitness band, I have the best of both worlds.

The reason I gave 4 stars is because there is no backlight and I would like to see better accuracy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life Changer, 18 Aug 2014
This device is simply an advanced pedometer, but it is a good piece of kit to own if you're looking to count or improve your activity levels. Since owning one I've lost 22lb, which is amazing, but it's all due to my competitive nature that was fired up with the group challenges on the garmin connect site that you upload your steps to. When paired with a compatible calorie counting app you can track your diet and fitness levels together and achieve great things.

In my opinion the device looks great, it works well and the motivational, but also guilt-mongering, red bar that show up after 1 hour of inactivity really does push you to move.

I've discovered three problems with the device so far:
The wrist band gets caught on things easily and pops off without notice, it's a huge pain and I've had to take to putting a band over the clip to keep it fastened.
The syncing of your Vivofit can be a problem if you rely the on doing it through your phone; I've had to update through data and turn off my wifi as connect locks it up when Bluetooth is turned on. It's happened on several different phones now.
The last problem is that the HRM data doesn't always sync correctly, which is slightly annoying once you've started tracking your HR progress. Garmin are aware of the issue but there's nothing done with it at the moment.

I would definitely recommend the Vivofit, regardless of the minor faults, and I would definitely feel a little lost without it and it's features now.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not perfect, 18 Sep 2014
Mrs. L. C. Watt "Lolly" (Chesterfield) - See all my reviews
I previously had a fitbit flex which I sold and bought the garmjn vivofit. I researched the vivofit before purchasing and thought it would work well for me as I was using a garmjn forerunner and have a garmin connect account. If I could merge the fitbit flex and vivofit I would have the perfect unit. I like the fact that the vivofit uses a HR monitor for accuracy and that the battery last a year without charging. I bought the vivofit in time to do a month of Munro bagging thinking it would be ideal. Unfortunately, it failed after day 3 to sync and I lost weeks of high activity data. It took weeks for garmin to answer my question about the failure and I never got a definitive answer 😠. It doesn't have a backlight which is annoying. I preferred the sleep function on the fitbit flex and the silent alarm was very useful for me as I'm totally deaf in one ear and often miss my alarm. What lets both units down is that they don't record steps when cycling or swimming, 2 sports I do regularly. When running and cycling I still have to wear my garmin watch as the vivofit doesn't have an auto pause function nor does it record lap times. I thought I'd be able to ditch my watch but I think I'm more likely to be ditching my vivofit. I'm persevering with the vivofit while I keep an eye on new gadgets that may have everything I need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Red line of doom! :-), 2 Aug 2014
Kelvyn Frost - See all my reviews
I'm really pleased with the Vivofit. I previously used the Fitbit Flex and various pedometers before that. What's great about this product is the ease of use, long battery life, and most importantly the "red line of doom" (my own description for the Red bar that starts to grow up the side of the display when I have been lounging around for too long). This has been getting me off the sofa to jump around and wake myself up a bit and I feel much better for it. I have also significantly increased my daily steps since I started using it over the Fitbit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a great product and yet the strap is totally inadequate, 23 July 2014
I no longer have my Vivofit. It didn't leave my side from the day I bought it and I used the heart rate monitor to make sure I was training safely. The strap is rubbish. If you catch it at all, the watch unclips - such that I have now lost the watch. It's such a shame that such a great product fails on something so simple.. but in the end a complete waste of money.

Like some of the other customers below, I will contact Garmin - at least if we tell them they might do something but it doesn't pay for a replacement!