5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners
I've been using my Vivofit and HR monitor over the last month since Christmas. Although Garmin's online syncing issues are a little sketchy I have had no problem with the band or HR monitor itself. First I will start off reviewing the heart rate monitor;
Published 1 month ago by Rebecca Greaves

1.0 out of 5 stars Strap came off and got lost within a week
Having bought this product last week, it has already been lost. The tracking functions work well, but given that it is designed for active use, I am surprised that the wrist band is so poor.

Published 2 months ago by Anthony Musto

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 25 Jan. 2015
The HR monitor is light and fits comfortably over your chest (just under the bra line) it does not itch or move throughout exercise, even high impact workouts. It's easy to wipe clean as it does cause sweating and does not hold odours. The band is fully adjustable and fits securely with a small plastic clasp. I find it to be very accurate and have not had any problems using it.
Now for the band. The band is waterproof and I have regularly worn it in the shower however it can cause some skin irritation if not allowed to air or dry properly afterwards. The screen is clear and all information is easy to read. It does not had a backlight however I knew this when purchased and have not found many situations where I can't find alternate light to check it. I find the steps very accurate and usually agree to a + or - 10 steps each day. The band comes with wrist straps, I find the small to be the best fitting. I've kept both as the larger band fits around my ankle when doing exercises that require static arms (e.g. cycling.)
I find I don't use the date or time function on the watch, and regularly stick to goals/steps. The Garmin app is very well designed although this is where I've experienced the most issues. On a number of occasions Garmin has been down and I've been unable to upload my steps, HOWEVER the band does track these for over a week so no information was lost.

I wouldn't recommend this is you're more interested in distances travelled or prefer swimming and cycling as this really is essentially a pedometer. However it has motivated me to move more and reach my 10000 steps a day. Would recommend to anyone wanting to fit a bit more exercise in.

1.0 out of 5 stars Strap came off and got lost within a week, 6 Dec. 2014

The design of the wrist band is 2 tabs which feed through holes on the strap, and testing the spare which came in the box, it's clear that it can come undone quite easily if twisted. It's also worth noting that due to the design of the product, it would be difficult to swap the band for something more durable such as a watch strap.

Edit: thankfully, somebody has found my Vivofit and it has been returned to me. Inspecting my strap compared to my wife's, hers came with a rubber strip which goes around the band to stop it coming loose; mine was not supplied with this, which was the cause of the issue with the product. I suggest that anybody who purchases this product ensures that they have this. For now, I'm using a rubber band.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK few niggles though, 18 Jun. 2014
i kind of like the fact that when you get up its good to see, how good or bad your sleep actually was and i like seeing how many steps i have done which seems more accurate than most pedometers BUT i hate the fact that it keeps falling off my wrist!! I also don't understand the whole calorie burning thing?? according to this i have burned more than 500 calories whilst just sleeping?? seems a little off to me, but i do like the way you can plot your progress on graphs etc and motivate yourself into more exercise, even just how far you would walk doing housework, the biggest bain is definitely the catch holding it on your wrist, you would think that with something so expensive they would have something a little better

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for overall fitness, 20 Jan. 2015
Great piece of kit for most blokes who like having a multitude of graphs and charts.
It's primarily designed for runners and walkers, monitoring every step you take, every move you make (couldn't resist!) and the addition of the HRM adds to the functionality. You can use an existing HRM provided it's bluetooth compatible but be warned: although the wristband is fully waterproof (I've used it twice a week for the last 2 months with no problems), you can't use the HRM underwater.
At the end of each day you check how many steps you've done and measure how well you've done against a goal; if you exceed the goal, tomorrow's goal is a bit more; miss a goal and it pulls the target back a bit.
You can also integrate the app with MyFitnessPal to track calories and the garmin will adjust your calorie usage accordingly.
Love this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 31 Dec. 2014
I had a Jawbone before this but it didn't last very long and broke after a couple of months so I looked into buying another fitness band. I found band and was very pleased with what I found. Both my parents, my sister plus many of our friends bought it as well. After using it for a while I wasn't as pleased with it. It records information amazingly and you can change the colour but I found there to be many issues. Firstly the band is very bulky and uncomfortable on my wrist, I also found the app unattractive and difficult to use. Lastly I wasn't pleased with the way the sleep was recorded and displayed on the app. It records well for steps, heart rate and motivates well with its idle bar but it is equally disappointing. Not as good as it sounds in the descriptions.

2.0 out of 5 stars not too impressed, 27 May 2014
I went from a FitBit to this Vivofit wrist band in order to have it on me at all times. It seems to be living its own life. I can be working pretty hard moving around a lot and still it indicates I'm not moving enough (the red indicator comes on).

The wristband comes off if you pull on it, and since the locking has a sharp edge, this happens quite often.

When syncing you often have to do that more than once and update the page a few times for all the data to show.

I had high expectations to a Garmin product, but the FitBit seems a lot more stable. A really nice thing is that a typical hair wash gives you a few hundred "steps" just from moving your hands around. The same happens when driving in the car. Any hand movement gives you "steps". These things never happened with the FitBit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Love it, Love it!!!, 25 Feb. 2015
Having done lots of research prior to purchasing, I am more than happy with my decision to go for the vivofit and heart monitor. My partner bought it for me for Christmas. On boxing day, we went into town shopping. I wanted to beat the goal set for me and when my partner went up the escalator, I walked up the stairs. It definitely encourages more movement. Since Christmas I have bored everyone with statistics and numbers from my vivofit. I have used the heart monitor at the gym to ensure I stay within my optimum heart rate. The only two downfalls with this gadget are the initial set up,which for some reason took a couple of days. I think Garmin had an influx of people with vivofits/gadgets as Christmas pressies trying to register at the same time. The second problem I have found is that when I have been to the gym and come to sync, I can only input one activity despite my gym session covering recumbent cycling, cross trainer, rowing machine, and weights. If anyone knows how this can be separated in one session without starting and stopping the monitor between activities, please let me know. I have yet to go swimming with the vivofit and heart monitor but most certainly will.
I absolutely love my Garmin vivofit and it certainly encourages more movement throughout the day. It highlights how little I move during the week and how much more I move at weekends. I am now making a conscious effort to do more during my week days. The goals increase automatically and most days, with effort I achieve those goals, although I have been known to go for a late night walk in order to reach set goal!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars I like the fact that it has a screen so I ..., 27 Sept. 2014
It's ok. It does the job, i guess.
I like the fact that it has a screen so I can see at any point how many steps I have done already. I usually set it on 'time' so it is useful as well. The long lasting battery is a big bonus.
The bracelet however is not super comfy and the actual device is rather big and heigh. The fact that you can see the steps as you go along is also the devices downfall: I know now that when brushing my teeth, I am doing 250 steps, washing my hands is 300 steps... ... ... ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Trouble setting it up!, 25 Jun. 2014
The seller, Amazon no problems, the product is a little tricky. I would caution anyone with Windows 8 getting this, as after 3 hours of trying, the ANT usb does not connect. At present, I have a £100 plastic wrist band and nothing further.

Try getting hold of Garmin support, almost impossible and put everything down too my system not being set up correct. As an IT manager, this is a ruse they say to hide the fact they failed to highlight Win 8 issues...

If you get one, good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Step in the right direction, 12 Jan. 2015
So I was primarily looking for a way to track my activity and particularly heart rate under exercise so the combined package met my needs (and also that I could use the heart rate monitor with my Garmin cycle computer). The vivofit was easy to setup and sync with my existing garmin connect account via the iPhone app. Initially I was surprised at how close to my daily steps goal I was achieving and suspected its accuracy, however I have tested the steps and attempted to fool the device by shaking etc and it has always reported accurately :-) I was also interested in the vivofits sleep tracking and again this works well by setting your typical sleep times or pressing the button to confirm your about to go to sleep or just woken up. Though the sleep data seems interesting the app makes little suggestion on what the graph means or how patterns could be improved. Heart rate levels is simple to use and good for live monitoring during exercise and tracking in garmin connect.

Overall I would recommend, the design is good. Battery life of a year so no need to regularly recharge like other similar devices. Garmin connect syncing works well. I have however had the device a month now and do wonder how long the novelty value will last for me, however if your looking to get more active and increase your daily step count its ideal