5.0 out of 5 stars Brings balance to the extremes of musical 'worship'
Published on 11 Jan 2010 by J. Wakelam

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible
Since I heard in advance that the central thesis of this book is, "we do not go to church to worship God", I was prepared in advance to be un-impressed. But I was still surprised by the poor, or non-existent exegesis that Roberts uses to attempt to back up his bizarre claim.

Published on 17 April 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings balance to the extremes of musical 'worship', 11 Jan 2010
J. Wakelam "Jacqui" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: True Worship (Paperback)
Speaking as a songwriter, singer and former 'worship leader' I found this book very helpful and confirming of what I already felt. Having been part of an organized church and serving in the music ministry, I often struggled with the whole (what I felt) over-spiritualisation of the music, and its power in a meeting/over us. All too often I would see ungodly things behind the scenes and wonder how we could then lift our hands and voices and claim God was blessing us. The writer brings a scriptural balance to the idea of musical worship, putting it in context with other aspects that make up our worship to God. He kicks over some sacred cows that needed kicking, things I feel DO keep people from connecting with God in a much more ordinary, less lights, less smoke, less synth pad kind of way. At the same time, he doesn't throw the baby out with the bathwater, he merely puts musical worship in its place, a place it should be lower in than its currently elevated state. In a climate bursting at the bookshelf seems with books on 'worship' I found this little gem and have gone back to it time and again when I've needed grounding. As a singer its easy to be drawn to that platform, the entertainer in you likes an audience, yet we forget an audience of one is watching for our worship all the time. It would grieve me to have either the sound guy or the drummer with serious issues in their life (such as drug addiction or violent behaviour) and not be able to step them down as they were 'needed', apparently they were so 'anointed' that if they didn't play/serve, God's hands would be tied and He couldn't move in the meeting?! A very level headed, well written, well researched, balanced, biblical, TRUE look at 'worship' in context.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very welcome Biblical Theology of Worship, 13 July 2006
This review is from: True Worship (Paperback)
Vaughan Roberts has done what sadly many of our generation have not - turned to his bible for the final authority of what Worship is and isn't. It is not a smack down for charasmatics, or 'I told you so' for conservative evangelicals, but a book simply putting forward what the bible says, and how that should shape our understanding of life.

Vaughan goes through Gods word and shows what worship was under the old covenant, how Christ fulfils the symbolism in the new testement, and so what has changed - what you might call a biblical theology of worship. His exposition is as usual top notch, as is his clarity of writing and sensitive handling of controversial subjects.

Read this with the bible in your mind and not preconceptions, and this book may well radically change the way you think about life! Vaughan sings the song of Romans 12:1

''Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship''

I warmly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Prophetic Book Calling Us Back To "True Worship", 27 Jun 2002
This review is from: True Worship (Paperback)
This latest book by Vaughan Roberts is a much-needed exposition of what true Christian worship should be. He argues for something far deeper and spiritual than what he calls "the liver shiver" - instead, living every moment of every day in obedience to God is true worship. With helpful chapters on the place of music in the church service, and on the meaning of "Holy Communion", this book is a must-read for anyone serious on worshipping the living God "in spirit and in truth".

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Book, 2 Mar 2008
Mark Morris "demac18" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: True Worship (Paperback)
don't listen to this last post, I'm a firm believer of a spirit led church and this book reflects that excellently- it will enhance your faith undoubtedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: True Worship (Paperback)
This is an excellent, very readable book. It is short but packed with helpful insights for anyone trying to understand worship in more depth.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 17 April 2012
This review is from: True Worship (Paperback)

As I read through carefully, I was amazed at the huge swathe of relevant and helpful things that Roberts failed to say about worship. No-one really believes that worship is such a tiny subject as this book makes it out to be.

In fact, Roberts reserves his greatest energies for ridiculing those who believe that worship means something more.

His chapter, "The place of Music and Singing" would appear to be in the wrong book, since Roberts contends that we do not sing to worship God. But in fact quite a bit of his negative message is in this chapter.

I'm afraid my impression is, Roberts is attempting to defend his dull and boring corner of the church, by attempting to show that others whose church experience is less boring are actually "false worshippers".

Worshipping God is uplifting, inspiring, transformational, life-affirming. Unfortunately there are no words like these in this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, 15 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: True Worship (Paperback)
I was given this book a couple months ago to read by a friend...big mistake! It has the dying orthodox church written all over it, it is heavily religious, extremely legalistic, boring blande beige and totally irrelevant. New Christians out there...don't read this it will totally undermine your faith! It is because of leaders like this the orthodox denominations are dying and the reformed spirit led churches are exploding. As an alternative I suggest you read some of the worship books by Darlene Zscheche such as "Extravagant Worship"...

True Worship