5.0 out of 5 stars Relentless Rifferama for the New Year
Published 3 months ago by Big Jim

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed
Pretty much carrying on the musical formula from Dystopia. I am not a fan of the 'sing-a-long' choruses evidenced in four or five songs and I think they are a little cheesy/commercial and Iced Earth are not and were never a cheesy metal band. Stu is a fine vocalist but Matt had that unique underground vocal delivery which suited Iced Earth's music.

They have...
Published 3 months ago by Anthony

5.0 out of 5 stars Relentless Rifferama for the New Year, 6 Jan 2014
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Plagues Of Babylon (Audio CD)
Wow! You don't want to be listening to this album with a hangover. From the eerie Sabbathesque opener to the power ballad closer - and by "power" I mean "POWER" - this album beats you over the head with its unyielding, persistent strength and force. I mean just check out the album and track titles. That tells you all you need to know. Now I have to admit that when it comes to "metal" I tend towards the more traditional strain, Sabbath, Maiden, Metallica and the like, so don't tend to enjoy the more "extreme", "shouty" (sorry about the preponderance of "s) end of the genre, but for me this straddles both quite nicely. Sure the verses are a tad "shouty" but the choruses are glorious, ensemble jobs. Proper choruses that will go down a treat performed live I'm sure. It's not until we get about 2/3rds of the way through that we get a respite in the form of "If I could see you" and I have to say, this would make a great single if such things are still worth releasing. Am I tempting fate a bit by suggesting it is almost Bon Jovi esque? Well maybe that's going too far but all I can say is that I really enjoyed listening to this album, in fact it's on its third run through this morning as I type this, and it is probably Iced Earth's best work to date. Want to wake up the neighbours? Play this LOUD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Schaffer Delivers, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Plagues Of Babylon (Audio CD)
"Plagues of Babylon" is the eleventh album by American heavy metal band Iced Earth, and the second with Stu Block on vocals. I loved this album through and through! Rhythm guitarist and band leader Jon Schaffer delivers on his end, with epic riffing and all around heavy badassery. In my opinion the best tracks are the title track, "The Culling", "Among the Living Dead" (which features Hansi Kürsch of Blind Guardian, one of my all-time favourite vocalists), "If I Could See You", "Cthulhu" and "Peacemaker". Another great track is "Highwayman", which features vocals by Schaffer and Block, as well as Russell Allen of Symphony X and Michael Poulsen of Volbeat, who all have a verse each.

I would recommend this album to ANY Iced Earth fan, whether they were veteran fans or just starting out, and also to any metal fans who like their riffs crunchy and heavy.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!! WTH is this????, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Plagues Of Babylon (Audio CD)
Just the cover art worth the albun but it is far from be just this. In my opinion, this albun is sharing the first place with Dark Saga and Something Wicked....
Since Horror Show I haven't seen a albun with so many good songs that you want to play each one again before the next... no weak track... top quality production, instrumental and vocal. By the way, this vocal work does not have the "falsetes" like the albun before. I felt a level up on this point. To me, replace Matt is not so easy... Matt is Iced Earth's vocal classic, but I have to admit this new vocalist have made such a good job!
Perfect!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album and amazing customer support, 16 Jan 2014
DJ (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plagues Of Babylon (Audio CD)
This album is epic, I still prefer Dystopia since I liked the theme of that album a bit more, but musically I love Stu's vocals and the album itself is awesome. To be honest, there is 1 track I'm not fond of, but given the number of tracks on the album, that is a very small number, the others are keepers :). As for the outro track, you want to listen to it, it's short but funny, I'm surprised they actually put it on the disc!

Unfortunately, when they made my first copy they attached the cover of the book containing my discs upside-down, but I contacted Amazon support and they sorted it out with perfect customer satisfaction!

5.0 out of 5 stars Power metal at his best!, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: Plagues Of Babylon (Audio CD)
TOP power metal mixing elements of Iron Maiden and Metallica. A lot great riffs backed up with solid complex rhythm structures. Incredible vocal range used all over the record, from growling and low tones to incredible high tones. These songs should be a challenge to sing live, but I can confirm that Stu can delivery it!.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Plagues Of Babylon (Audio CD)
one of the best Iced Earth albums, darker than the previous one,I can't stop listening it,buy it , don't wait any longer :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Flying the flag of old school metal in 2014, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Plagues Of Babylon (Audio CD)
A prime slab of old school influenced metal, heavy riffs with galloping baselines that Steve Harris would be proud of highly recommended, go and see the on tour if you get chance they won't disappoint

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Plagues Of Babylon (Audio CD)

They have lost their brutality a bit and I hope they get it back on the next album but doubt it

ARRAY(0xab5480f0)