4.0 out of 5 stars Much better
Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars More Argos than Argus
Reviewing Blue Horizon raises so many thorny issues and makes me wonder about the whole scenario of music criticism and public opinion. Maybe my title is unkind, but I've read the positive reviews of this album and the one truly negative one and I feel that people are being unrealistic if not a little deluded. Firstly, I must say that Andy Powell is one of the most...
Published 8 months ago by David Eade

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Blue Horizon (Audio CD)
After the disappointment of Elegant Stealth I wasn't in any rush to get Blue Horizon. I succumbed and was immediately impressed with the standard of the songs. Elegant Stealth wasn't a bad album, just uninspiring. This one is far superior and would get 5 stars if the guitars wailed a bit longer! Just like the Allmans, I prefer Ash live with their 15 minute pluse renditions, but as studio albums go, this is pretty damned good!
After several plays, it became obvious to me that Way Down South was the standout track. I would go as far as to say it's the best number Ash have written since their classic 70's albums. The guitar solo at the end is gorgeously sublime, and sends shivers down my back. ASH ARE BACK!

4.0 out of 5 stars Over the Horizon and far away...., 6 May 2014
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blue Horizon (Audio CD)
.. well thats how it felt,it took so long for the disc to reach me,was it worth the wait,definitely,its a great album,the first thing that catches the eye is the quite striking cover on the digi pak.

The music well unlike say Magnum's fist pumping rock on their recent release,this is more laid back,like an old pair of comfy slippers,an easy fit just sit back and let the music wash over you.

Having spent the last few albums stating that they are as far removed from ARGUS as you can get,then its with much irony that opening track 'Take It Back' immediately reminds me of that disc.

The likes of 'Deep Blues/Way Down South & Mary Jane,keep a smile on my face and my foot tapping,excellent stuff.

Favourite tracks - the title track's laid back class and the folky feel of album closer 'All there is to Say'.

There are some great individual performances on here,yes its laid back and the 'rock' days are long gone but its still worth purchasing for some genuine class music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Blue Horizon, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Blue Horizon (Audio CD)
For me, this is the best Wishbone CD in quite a few years. Elegant Stealth was good but Blue Horizon totally blows that away. For me there isn't a bad track on the album and I'm constantly impressed by the great musicianship displayed throughout. Favourite tracks are Take It Back, Deep Blues, Way Down South, Tally Ho and American Century. There's a great depth to the playing and each time I play this album I hear something new. My overall favourite track is way Down South - which has a very catchy first section and an amazing second section starting after 4 minutes. If I'm in the car, the sound level gets cranked right up for the second half of totally brilliant soaring guitar work and driving bass. Magnificent.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Elegant Horizon!!, 28 Mar 2014
K. Buxton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Horizon (Audio CD)
I went to see these in Oct 2012, billed as the Elegant Stealth Tour; although they only played a handful of songs from the album they were brilliant.

I've had a good listen to this latest release from Wishbone Ash and noted some of the comments from some reviews, but no way is this better than Elegant Stealth, ES to me is the modern Argus, every album the band makes from now on has to stand up to ES, (depending on how long Andy can keep going of course) and in my opinion this doesn't.

Don't get me wrong I really like Blue Horizon, `deep blue' & `way down south' being my favourite tracks, excellent guitar work from Andy & Muddy as usual and great backing by Bob & Joe, but the guitars on ES are much more in unison and solo's a bit longer, all the other tracks on the BH album are a mixture of jazz, rock, folk, blues.

How many tracks would I take off Blue Horizon and put on ES, the answer 2. How many tracks would I take off ES and put on BH, the answer an easy 6.
I really like this latest release but it's not as good as ES so it's 4 stars for me.

I'm just glad the band is producing great music and hope they keep it up, how many modern bands today release one good album after another like WA, keep it up boys can't wait for the next release, I hope I have the same issue next time deciding which is the best album!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars WORTHY ADDITION, 1 April 2014
Mr. Alan Dawson (BOLTON, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Horizon (Audio CD)
So yet another album from W.A. For a fan of the band to give this very good album 1 star is bewildering to say the least. Can't really give it 5 stars as it isn't as good as Argus. However it is their best album for some time & a great guitar rock/folk/prog album. The tunes are better than Elegant Stealth & the opening track 'Take It Back' is a truly memorable song. If you like guitars & you aren't bothered about liking cool & trendy bands then this album is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Blue Horizon (Audio CD)
a triumph of craftsmanship, melodic tuneful and executed with a high degree of musicality.

Elegant Stealth was always going to be a hard act to follow but this does the trick and for Wishbone addicts like me it was well worth the wait.
there are may stand out tracks and such a range of melodies, Joe Crabtree's drumming is awesome, driving, tuneful, the rythm combo with the excellent Bob Skeat lays a firm foundation to the classic twin guitar 'licks' from Andy Powell and Muddy Manninen.

initial listens favoured tracks like Tally Ho and American Century, but I just cant get Way Down South out of my mind, almost poppy in a rocky way, my current favourite is All there is to say- it starts like a homage to old days and Throw Down The Sword and becomes anthemic at times, it sounds really corny but it has a 'religious' quality to it, its a very special track to end the album with and compliments the opener Take it Back, those lovely guitars building on the repeated base line-luverly.Tally Ho has a real message of corporate greed veiled behind great vocals and some excelllent drum licks , very very nice indeed.

special mention to Andy Powell's vocal prowess, his voice just gets better and the vocal harmonies with Skeat and Manninen throughout are great.

I look forward to hearing some of these tracks live but meantime this CD is playing and playing......
Thanks Wishbone Ash - this album adds to your growing Canon of superbly mastered rock music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 16 Mar 2014
David R. Walters (Huntingdon, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Horizon (MP3 Download)
I had to cancel the order with Amazon as they did NOT have it in stock. Got it somewhere else eventually. I think 5 stars is reserved for the best albums, classics, and that takes time to realise, but 4 is certainly a good album. It's a real mix of their styles from over the years. The first listening I was a BIT disappointed after the raving reviews as I thought it might rock-out a bit more, but now I am enjoying it for what it is which quite classy. Lots of fluid guitar playing though not extended enough. Elegant Stealth finally gave us some twin-guitar workouts, which the band MUST have known we wanted, so I thought that would have continued more on this one. Anyway, a nice CD, and certainly better than Clan Destiny and the one before. Both pleasant enough, but this is better. Worth noting that Andy Powell actually only gets MUSIC credit for ONE track on the whole album, which is a bit worrying....

Now mid-June and I am enjoying it even more. Maybe 2-3 tracks not that essential, but mostly very classy. No - not Argus but better than some late 70's / early 80's albums. Martin may have been a vital contributor on the first few albums, but not his last 2. Maybe he will return with some new stuff. I hope so. In the meantime, whether this is Wishbone Ash in name only, it could only be that band when you hear it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ash for ages, 14 May 2014
G. Roberts "vid-wiz" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Horizon (Audio CD)
This has to be the best ash album since there's the rub. It's all here! Great riffs, extended solos in several tracks some with twin guitars. Never the greatest vocals but not at all bad.

Elegant stealth was in and back out of the car within days but this is still there several weeks later. If you like wishbone ash you should like this. Looking forward to seeing them live and hope they play a few of these songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great record, we are 'here to hear', 27 April 2014
This review is from: Blue Horizon (Audio CD)
I am not going to enter the debate around the Andy Powell/Martin Turner versions of WA - having been a fan of the band since 1970, I am going to review this record. Hang on, I will say this, anyone who comes down 100% on one side or the other cannot be wholly right.

The disc's a grower, there are some great dual guitar licks and a great many stand out tracks, like 'Way down South', 'Take It Back' and 'Tally Ho!' (corny title but good track). Every time I think I will not go and see WA anymore live, they bring out fresh music, no mean feat when you have been in the business as long as AP - where does he get his drive from? the touring schedule is bruising as always, hats off to him and Muddy, Joe and Bob.

Forget the rows, just buy this CD...oh and Martin, when are you going to record some NEW music, we would all love to hear and we will all be 'here to hear'!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wishbone moving into other territory, 20 April 2014
This review is from: Blue Horizon (Audio CD)
A change of direction to some degree but still the distinctive Wishbone sound. Took a couple of plays but I like the more proggy approach if you can describe it in that vein.
The song writing is excellent and the playing of all the instruments display their professional and experienced approach. Certainly one I shall play in the future

Blue Horizon
Blue Horizon by Wishbone Ash (Audio CD - 2014)