5.0 out of 5 stars An Unknown Mistress
Published 14 months ago by Anita Davison

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor
Stilted dialogue, unsympathetic characters.
Richard found guilty of the crimes history accuses him of with no evidence at all.
A statement at the end reveals that it was never a serious attempt at finding out the truth.
I would not recommend it
Published 8 months ago by Mec

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An Unknown Mistress, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: By Loyalty Bound (Hardcover)
Before reading this novel, I knew nothing about Richard III's alleged mistress of Richard, as all the stories I have read speaks of a devotion to his wife, Anne Neville, daughter of the Kingmaker. However Ms Ashworth makes a very convincing case for Anne Harrington being his lover and the mother of his surviving children, an heiress at the mercy of a guardian of the Stanleys.

This complicated era of history is handled extremely well. Edward IV did not have an easy rule and no one was certain of which side to join, and many changed loyalties according to who was in the ascendant and whose army was biggest. By the end I was confused as to who actually was the `rightful' king, so even with hindsight, had I lived in the 15th Century I would have made the wrong decision.
Villains abound in all guises and Anne has to tread a careful path with her in-laws who regard her as having brought disgrace on them by being Richard of Gloucester's mistress - hypocritical in the extreme as they forced her to marry their son so they could grab her estate!

Despite its difficult beginning in that she was presented to him as a bribe by her family - girls had a rotten time in the 15th century! Anne's devotion to Richard of Gloucester is touching, - so much so, she refuses to consummate her marriage to Edward Stanley - though fortunately he does not press the issue and takes a mistress of his own. In an age where bearing heirs is vital, I wondered at her father-in-law's silence on the fact she had produced two healthy children for Richard but none for her own husband, but he remains enigmatically silent.

Margaret Beaufort joins the Stanley family, making the entire crew even more sinister, and Anne has to watch her back for stray daggers, at times relying only on her aloof serenity to keep her safe.

A thoroughly enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of By Loyalty Bound, 16 July 2013
This review is from: By Loyalty Bound (Hardcover)
We've been waiting for a long time for someone to write a novel about this forgotten period of the life of Richard III. The history books have been shamefully quiet about the way in which the Stanley family were rewarded for their constant wavering, dodging, disloyalty and treason, all to maintain Royal power in the North, while families like the Harringtons who remained staunchly loyal to the Yorkist cause lost everything. Only recently have non-fiction books like "Richard III and the Death of Chivalry" by Hipshon found that the Harrington-Stanley feud might have been a major factor in the Stanley betrayal of Richard at Bosworth. So it was with some excitement that we received our copy of "By Loyalty Bound". The story is seen through the eyes of Ann Harrington, who despite being treated as a pawn, is able to provide a narrative focus for the novel. The conceit that she was Richard's mistress is cleverly worked in (I don't believe there is any clear evidence either way), and it is even brought up to date with mention of Richard's scoliosis. A fascinating read about Richard III from the unusual perspective of the Harrington family.

5.0 out of 5 stars By Loyalty Bound; by Elizabeth Ashworth, 9 Oct 2013
Mrs. PG MCCORMACK (Cannock, Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: By Loyalty Bound (Hardcover)
With news of the discovery of Richard 111's remains in a car park in Leicester, I found myself trying to recall what I had learned of that period in history. The Princes in the Tower and the Battle of Bosworth sprang to mind. History wasn't my favourite subject in school but I was looking forward to reading Elizabeth Ashworth's `By Loyalty Bound: The story of the mistress of King Richard 111'. I pre-ordered my copy from Amazon and after several delays it arrived. `What a beautiful cover!' was my initial reaction.

It was some weeks before I had time to sit down and read, but once I started I didn't want to stop till I'd come to the end. It is a beautifully told tale and sounds so authentic. In Elizabeth's Author's Note she makes a convincing case for her suggestion that Anne Harrington was Richard's mistress. I found myself reading as if it were a true story and not fiction and this is a tribute to Elizabeth's thorough research into and love for local history.

Having previously read `The de Lacy Inheritance', I knew I was going to enjoy Elizabeth's latest book and I did. All through, I felt sympathy for the heroine - for her resistance to the unwelcome attentions of the nasty Sir William Stanley, for her loyalty to her lover and their two children, and for her reaction in the end when the happiness that was almost in her grasp, was snatched from her.

When I came to the end of the final chapter, entitled August 1485, I put the book down and felt really sad - sad, not just because there was no more to read, but sad for Anne Harrington. That shows how deeply I became involved in this brilliantly related tale.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not entirely idle speculation, 2 May 2014
This review is from: By Loyalty Bound: The Story of the Mistress of King Richard III (Kindle Edition)
As a native of Lancaster I was immediately intrigued by the squabbles over property between the Stanleys and the Harringtons over Hornby Castle and estates. We know from the Paston Letters that the 'Wars of the Roses' had strong implications for local disputes over property as people aligned themselves with one side or the other depending on who they thought would do their families most good. This novel begins with the young Richard of Gloucester supporting the Harrington claims over the Stanleys and being induced to form a liaison with the daughter of the house which produced Richard's two acknowledged bastard children. Although Richard was unsuccessful In persuading his brother Edward to back the family against the Stanleys, the story, if true, provides another motive for Stanley distrust of and disloyalty to Richard as King. Of course no-one knows the identity of Richard's mistress but this theory does at least have more going for it than most I have heard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another mistress story, 1 Mar 2014
Yet another 'mistress' of Richard III; this time it is proposed that the lady in question was Anne Harrington, whose family was helped against the Stanleys by the young Duke of Gloucester. A little slow to start, it really hit its stride half way and enjoyed it. However, one event near the end (I won't reveal what as it would be a spoiler) did stretch my credulity a little bit. Still, well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars By Loyalty Bound by Elizabeth Ashworth, 4 Jan 2014
A very good read, pure escapism! Also she manages to stick to the historical facts while weaving a really good story around them

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 26 July 2013
This review is from: By Loyalty Bound (Hardcover)
What a great book, couldn't put it down. We live not far from Hornby, my interests being History, Local History and Royalty this book ticked all my boxes. Found it well written and it kept my interest to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 6 April 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was interesting to here another slant on the Richard lll,s life. Would definitely recommend this book

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 5 Mar 2014
Good read and an interesting perspective. Nice to hear about a famous person through the eyes if someone not so famous.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 6 Mar 2014
Stilted dialogue, unsympathetic characters.
I would not recommend it