Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.64

on 23 March 2014
owning a number of books about British railways in general and its steam period in detail, I always felt confused about the steam engines classification system(s), the sequences of development, etc. This excellent book brings structure into the development and classification of the British Pacific type steam locomotives.
Good text, good Pictures good general explanations, what I miss as engineer (and as Swiss) are some more technical details in the tables (e.g. about the boiler/steam generator design, the valve gear) and that the figures are only given in British dimensions and not in addition in metric System.
However, I found this book so good that I ordered more copies of this book to give my friends as a gift.
What I would like to see is a book dealing with the British ten-wheeler classes (4-6-0) by the same author.
on 8 June 2014
As a Railway Signalman of 43 years (retired) it certainly bought back memories of my steam days, seing a Brittania race through our station was exciting. There are lots of pictures in this, but for me it leant very heavily on the Great Western, Southern Region and the LMS, not a lot on the Great Eastern, nevertheless it was very informative, such as why was only one loco 71000 Duke of Gloucester was built and why, and even i discovered why in my younger days there were a few gaps in my Ian Allen Combined Edition train spotters book, they were shedded in Scotland! A good read.
on 30 January 2014
A lovely book with great pics and narrative on the great steam Pacific loco engines of our time. Nice to see the preserved ones as well. Recommended for steam enthusiasts everywhere !
on 28 February 2016
Some good information and great pictures. Another good read in these series.
on 21 March 2015
Enjoyable easy reading, it gives a good incite of the engineers who help build these engines