5.0 out of 5 stars Naff title but still a great book
Published 2 months ago by A. Linton

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult read
Quite graphic and some of it is very difficult to read but an ok book an best of all it has good ending
Published 13 months ago by Perry Medhurst

5.0 out of 5 stars Naff title but still a great book, 30 Dec. 2014
A. Linton (Manchester, Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Deadly Ground (Kindle Edition)
Thanks to the reviewer who warned that this was just a retread of 'King Blood' - I still wanted to get it for my kindle but I'd have been bitterly disappointed if I expected to get a new Clark novel rather than a chance to revisit an old classic. First the negative - what on earth was he thinking? - King Blood was a GREAT title and 'On Deadly Ground' sounds completely generic and to be confused with the Steven Seagal film of the same name.

I first got this as a library book back in the late 90s, started to read it on the way home and quickly became so engrossed that I didn't realise I was on the wrong bus and ended in Altrincham instead of Manchester city centre :) I had already read and loved 'Nailed through the heart' but I think this must be Clark's true masterpiece. From the way he evokes a perfect summer party, where affluent teenagers living on the outskirts of Leeds celebrate and look forward to their expected bright futures, to the growing unease that the world seems to be changing in unpredictable ways to an apocalyptic future in which the landscape has altered beyond the wildest imagination and humans face a desperate struggle for survival. But there is still beauty, hope and love in the world - Clark's descriptions of the apocalyptic landscape are often heart stoppingly beautiful and the novel has a wonderful redemptive ending.

I must confess that I find it difficult to understand why Clark isn't up there with the likes of Stephen King after all these years, but extremely delighted to see all these novels becoming accessible on Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Otherwise known as King Blood, 26 Oct. 2014
This review is from: On Deadly Ground (Kindle Edition)
Don't get me wrong this book is brilliant if you love the end of the world scenarios. It's brilliantly written and a thoroughly exciting read. My only complaint is it's a bit cheeky renaming King Blood as On Deadly Ground. I bought it on Kindle before realising I've read it before. For those that haven't read King Blood it's brilliant and you're in for a treat. For those like me I'm a few quid out of pocket. Naughty trick Mr Clark for your long term fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart stoppingly readable., 3 April 2014
Robi Kemp (Eastbourne, East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Deadly Ground (Kindle Edition)
I can't find the words to describe who brilliant this 'End of the World' book is.
It doesn't pull its punches and is very descriptively graphic in all scenes. Happy and horror!
It is kept simple, urban and REAL! The characters are every day people from normal lives thrown into a nightmarish world of Earth's effective collapse. You really feel you're there and can 'taste' the atmosphere with the characters who you either root for or loathe. I think it's the right length and you were left to decide for yourself how it all ended, which I like.
It is a sad fact to think that humanity would degenerate into murder and cannibilism but the story is crafted so well that you see it as a foregone conclusion. Like George RR Martin, Clark isn't afraid to eliminate main characters and readily invents new harrowing stress for his characters. I actually got this book free via Endeavour Press (who are producing some amazing stuff of late) but would quite readily pay for it! I am now looking up other books by this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult read, 20 Feb. 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Realistic!, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: On Deadly Ground (Kindle Edition)
On Deadly Ground is an 'end of the world' thriller a la Stephen King. The characters drawn by Simon Clark are so realistic that the reader is happy to be drawn into his world and believe every word he writes. At times it is gruesome and there are a fair number of sexual scenes in it - so generally speaking this isn't a book for the faint hearted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spine-chilling horror story, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: On Deadly Ground (Kindle Edition)
A truly terrifying story about the nature of man at its core and our innate survival instinct. I enjoyed the supernatural twist to this book which set it apart from other thrillers of its type. With some really vivid and rich descriptions which haunt you for a while after you’ve read them, this is one book you won’t be putting down quickly. Spooky, spooky, spooky.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great new writer, 28 Jan. 2014
h (london, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Deadly Ground (Kindle Edition)
A great start. All seems normal, but not for long! This really plays into a popular trend of natural disasters which are prevalent in both fiction and film at the moment. He conjures up some vivid images with cities burning and people going mad. Terrifyingly realistic, this is a great read from a great new writer. My only criticism is that I felt it was a bit long. Other than that, well worth it. Give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Known as King Blood, 14 Jan. 2014
This review is from: On Deadly Ground (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the best end of the world books I have ever read it is up there with The Stand I was abit surprised at the change of title.
A damn good read well worth having enjoy

3.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed Night of the Triffids, 10 Oct. 2014
This review is from: On Deadly Ground (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed Night of the Triffids, a clean sci-fi adventure story but altho I really enjoyed most of this book, really good story line, I found the sex bits over the top and far to explicit so I skipped those bits, which I found embarrassing.

On Deadly Ground