Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 January 2014
The band Huis hail from Canada - Quebec I think and features Mystery (0ne of my favourite bands), main-man Michel St Pere; indeed the music has a distinctly Mystery feel.
I am actually reviewing the CD which I got from source.
The music is slick and polished, the sort of thing one expects from St Pere. It is a mixture of instrumentals and vocal tracks - the longest lasting just over 9 minutes.
I would really like to be precise and detailed but will rely on my judgement/opinion that it is good, honest and reliable Prog, with the Mystery comparison hopefully providing some further assistance in deciding whether to buy or not.
Vocalist Sylvain Descoteaux has not anywhere near the range of the mighty Benoit David but they are more than up to the mark.
The rest of the band are Pascal Lapierre on Keyboards; Michel Joncas on Bass and Keys and William Regnier on Drums.
11 tracks in all and the set is well produced and presented.
I took a punt with this and am happy with my purchase - I thinks it's worth a punt; perhaps it might be an idea to listen to some samples?
No surprises. Nothing really new and it's not going to change the world - but it is good, solid music.
on 6 March 2014
Now this may be a surprising statement,as its only just the third month of 2014, but I'm going to say that Huis debut album "Despite Guardian Angels" will definitely rate as one of my top three for the year!Awesome is to small a word for this five piece band from Quebec.Eleven tracks of varying length, the shortest at 3.00 minutes, the longest just under10.00 minutes.Eight with vocals supplied by Sylvain Descoteaux, who has a sharp ,clear voice ,which often reminds me of Ted Leonard ( Enchant/Spocks Beard/Thought Chamber ), and three classy instrumentals.The rhythm section of bassist Michel Joncas ( chief composer of the majority of the songs ),and percussionist William Regnier are both tight and energetic,and lead the way for keyboardist Pascal Lapierre and Mystery guitarist, Michel St-Pete to shine on the record.Yes there are echoes of St-Pete " other" group, but Huis are definitely more influenced by the classic eighties neo-prog bands such as IQ, Twelfth Night,and Haze,and more recently Comedy of Errors.
Unicorn Digital have unearthed a real gem with Huis.Five stars without any hesitation! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on 22 March 2016
Excellent first album from Huis. The influence of Mystery guitarist is very evident on here. The songs are complex at times and take a bit of getting into. If you like Mystery then you will probably like this. Its a bit heavier in places but the arrangements are very busy which makes it all the more interesting for the listener.
on 25 June 2016
Quality prog rock nice you will not be disappointed, close cousin to the band Mystery. All we need now is a UK tour please !
on 29 August 2014
A real gem of a discovery. Musicianship, writing and vocals are superb. Top drawer!!!
on 17 April 2014
This is a terrific album of a new band with very melodic and rich music, it really exceeded my expectations