5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read
Having read Master of the Crows by this author I knew this book would be well written. This is a clever twist on the story of beauty and the beast but is unique enough for it to feel very original. I really wish there was more available by this author in this country as I know she has a much wider following in America. I urge you to read this and Master of the Crows.
Published 10 months ago by Mrs. C. Pesquero

1.0 out of 5 stars Uninteresting
Could not finish it - found it boring. Disappointing as I had really enjoyed Master of Crows and was expecting this to be just as good.
Published 2 months ago by Neck-Neck

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 26 Jan 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, 1 Feb 2014
Rachael Abbott (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Entreat Me (Kindle Edition)
A clever and witty retelling of Beauty and the Beast. The relationship between the protagonists develops in a believable way and I very much enjoyed the verbal sparring between them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally enjoyable!, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Entreat Me (Kindle Edition)
Loved it. Creative interpretation of beauty and the beast. Great author. Can't wait for this author's next book. Thank you Ilona Andrews for recommending her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great twist on a favourite fairytale, 14 Sep 2014
This review is from: Entreat Me (Kindle Edition)
I stumbled across this when Amazon threw it up amidst a search for Robin McKinley books. I am usually annoyed when Amazon does this but was actually grateful in this instance. I am a sucker for 'Beauty and the Beast' retellings and it seemed to have very good reviews. I took a gamble on it and it really paid off. I very much enjoyed the story and will be buying other books by the author. It is certainly a book for adults rather than teenagers. Grace Draven's other book can be purchased as part of the 'Darkly Dreaming' collection where you get the whole book 'Master of Crows' plus 4 other novels by other authors for a much cheaper price than just buying Master of Crows on its own - bargain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous and poetic fantasy romance!, 2 Nov 2014
This review is from: Entreat Me (Kindle Edition)
Miss Draven keeps writing this stunning, surreally beautiful books, damn it! I'm in total awe of this author. You know how sometimes you find someone's book and you feel like they totally get you and your taste? Like they are your bookish soul mates and completely dig you? Yeah, that feeling.

There are a few authors who fall under this category in my book, and Miss Draven became one of them with Master of Crows. Entreat Me only confirmed it.

Louvaen Duenda is a termagant, a shrew, a handsome widow who keeps her never-do-well father's finances barely afloat and the predators circling her younger beautiful sister Cinnia away. When Cinnia runs away with a young man Gavin to get much needed money to pay their father's debt, Louvaen chases the couple back to Gavin's father's estate, Ketach Tor.

There she is persuaded by Gavin's father Ballard to wait through the winter to see of the youngsters truly love each other and if there will be a wedding.

Ketach Tor is eery beautiful and very harsh. It's surrounded by 4 centuries old curse, which made it's roses viciously poisonous, and it's owner, Ballard badly disfigured. There are only a handful of servants living within, a loyal wizard of the family, and of course Ballard himself who Gavin visits from time to time.

Ballard is grumpy, antisocial, abrupt and resigned to his dark fate. Strangely enough Louvaen is just the woman for him as her own harsh nature sees right past his defences into his own soul, and what they make of it is beautiful, poetic and alluring as hell.

He ran a thumb over her soft lips, watching as her eyelids drooped lower and lower. "Kiss me, shrew, before you close your eyes and dream of a handsome prince."

They exchanged several drugging kisses before Louvaen slid down in the bed and laid her head on Ballard's shoulder.

"Ballard," she said in a groggy voice.

"Hmm?"

"Princes are dull. I'd be bored to death traipsing off to royal balls and in a foul mood because I would be cinched into a scratchy gown and wearing the latest fashionable shoes - something ungodly painful and foolish like glass slippers. I'd rather dream of a Green Man with horns or a margrave with pretty scars and a lovely body."

Ballard grinned and kissed the top of her head. "And if you wake up to find one in your bed? Will you run screaming for help?"

She gave an indelicate snort. "Hardly. I know a good thing when I see it. I'd swive him cross-eyed."

I loved it so much I think I'll return to this book soon and will savour it line by line. This is so wonderful and raw and not pretty that I urge you to pick Entreat Me up and read it. Don't let it pass you by.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Entreat Me (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the characters and the storyline. Would like to read more of this authors books if they were available on my kindle. Will definately enjoy reading this one again and will be putting it in my favourites

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly beautiful, 27 July 2014
This review is from: Entreat Me (Kindle Edition)
Words can't describe how beautiful this book was. Whilst this is firmly set in a fantasy world it is very definitely a book about human relationships. Grace Draven writes exquisitely about the human condition and somehow she just makes you care so so much about her characters. I think if you asked me to describe this book I wouldn't be able to describe the events so much as the feeling it gave me. Whilst Ballard and Louvean are a wonderful pair as our main characters the rest of the household are not to be outdone either and light up the page. I have absolutely no doubt at all that I will go back and read this book many many times. A true masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars An atmospheric, strong re-write of Beauty and the Beast, 13 May 2014
DebB (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Entreat Me (Kindle Edition)
The opening snippet re-titles this The Shrew and the Beast - with our hero Ballard only able to guess how the widow Lou's husband "must have worked himself into an early grave trying to remain master of his household with such a wife."

And to be sure, Lou can be a fine shrew, but she is also capable, loyal, loving and, when circumstance and mood take her, a sensual and carnal soul as well. She shines from the pages with her determination to save her father, save Cinnia, save Ballard... save 'em all. Ballard certainly has his "beastly" moments, but he too is loyal, loving, and, when circumstance and mood take him, a sensual and carnal soul... so they mesh well!

The "beauty" of the story is Lou's sister Cinnia, so fair men are driven to extreme lengths to possess her. She is rescued from such a man by Ballard's son Gavin, "as breathtakingly handsome as Cinnia was lovely" - as someone says at some point, just imagine the children!

This is a love story - well two, or even three love stories really, but the central one is a joy to read. This is a grown up pair, who've suffered and experienced both life and grief - they aren't looking for, or expecting romance and roses (and certainly not roses - the roses in this story are plain nasty).

There are sex scenes to be sure - straight, consensual sex between two people who really, really want each other - and a degree of blood and violence towards the end. There's some wonderful period language - with talk of swiving and tupping, and ne'er a Victorian rogering in sight! As well as figuring out the curse and falling in love, they farm, weave, eat, celebrate Christmas Eve (or Modrnicht), live a normal, mediaeval rural life - I suspect the author does a lot of research for her books.

This is an absolute bargain, totally worth the pennies. A book I'll re-read many times.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very promising new author, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Entreat Me (Kindle Edition)
This is a romance, the kind that would appeal to Ilona Andrews readers: it is good fun, with a plot line that isn't totally focused around the next bedroom scene. The narrative is a tightly written reinterpretation of the Beauty and the Beast story. Beauty has an interesting older sister who is furious when Beauty goes galavanting off with her 'one true love'. Draven's characters are fun and engaging. I preferred this to her first book Master of Crows where I thought the characterisation was a bit more clumsy and the story more focussed on the two main characters. But then, I don't really like straight romance. Either way, Grace Draven is certainly an author to watch and her ebooks are a bargain: both are under £2. For that price she is certainly worth a try and significantly better than many other authors I have tried in that price range and selling at mainstream prices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Entreat Me (Kindle Edition)
Beautifully written take on Beauty and the Beast. Characters are well drawn in particular Louvaen who is one of my favourite female protagonists for a long time. Recommend Master of Crows and Radience (online serial) also by this author.

Entreat Me