5.0 out of 5 stars harry heartwarming
a wonderful film with a very modern message. protect our environment & those creatures who live in it.

Don't hunt creatures just for the sake of having a gun and the right to use it.

Think before you act, you may hurt someone or something who will suffer for your actions.

The extras add so much to this film. I wish this addition had been...
Published on 28 Feb. 2010 by Delana Ro

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the movie - hate the bad language!
Published on 22 Feb. 2013 by J. Brindle

5.0 out of 5 stars harry heartwarming, 28 Feb. 2010

Don't hunt creatures just for the sake of having a gun and the right to use it.

The extras add so much to this film. I wish this addition had been available in the UK without importing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you don't have kids you'll love it!, 4 Jan. 2011
This is a happy, feel-good movie. Just the very talented John Lithgow and crew doing a wonderful job of making a movie that all the family can enjoy. This movie "cured" my son's fear of bears and Big Foot(Feet?); both he was sure were going to get him at night, in bed, in the dark. We got tired of people "losing" it after borrowing it at our local library (if you get my meaning) and decided to just treat ourselves to a copy we don't have to return within a week!

Btw, is there any movie/play Lithgow HASN'T been brilliant in?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blu-ray!, 15 Mar. 2014
Pantheon (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Harry and the Hendersons [Blu-ray] [1987] [US Import] (Blu-ray)
I bought this American blu-ray on the chance it might be region free. Thankfully this played without any problems in my UK blu-ray player.

The picture quality is excellent and a definite improvement over my R2 DVD. Also, there are some featurettes included which are quite interesting. Also, the upgrade to a DTS HD Master 5.1 audio track was very noticeable.

If you're a fan of this film then this is the version to buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Is there a beanstalk involved in this...., 9 Dec. 2013
Returning from a hunting trip in the forest, the Henderson family's car hits an animal in the road.

At first they fear its a man, but when they examine the body they find it's a Sasquatch, or Bigfoot. They think it's dead so they decide to take it home, after all there could be some money in this.

It isn't dead. Far from being the ferocious monster they fear it to be, he's a friendly giant.

In their attempts to keep Harry a secret, the Henderson's have to hide him from the authorities and a man, who has made it his goal in life, to catch a Bigfoot.....

During the late eighties, there were a spate of these types of movies, something out of the ordinary that invades a normal family or persons life. We had this, Short Circuit, Batteries Not Included and a few more.

When these movies were released, I was at an age where I would lap these up, and so I do really have fond memories of this film. Introducing my daughter to it yesterday was revelatory, as she lapped it up as I expected, but for me, I couldn't believe how predictable the film was and how often the same jokes were used again and again.

But it's still a fun high concept family film that doesn't rely on toilet humour to raise a laugh. Baker has done wonderful work on Harry, its still holds well today, and with his body language, it provides some genuine laughs.

The funniest scene being when George says to Harry 'how's it going?', Harry's reaction is comedy gold.

The narrative and story is something you'd expect from this sort of film, and you can see the tropes coming a mile off.

The bad guy turning good at the end, George feeling bad and sticking up for hardy, and the worst troupe of all, which still gets me is the one where George starts being nasty to Harry to make him leave, AKA tough love to protect him.

All in all its a typical fun eighties film, that doesn't hold up as well as I'd thought, but its fun nevertheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigfoot comes to the big screen!, 24 Oct. 2003
By A Customer
As a child i remember watching this film all the time, it was one of my favourites. So when i saw it was on TV a few weeks ago, i decided to watch it. To my surprise i sat through the whole film and absolutely loved it! So i straight away came on Amazon and bought it.
It is a classic for all the family and everyone will love it no matter what there age. it is hilarious, moving and Bigfoot still looks fantastic.
I usually like to buy the more action packed violent movie, but this was truly irresistable.
Go on, give it a go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than E.T., 10 May 2011
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Harry and the Hendersons is one of the first films I remember seeing in the cinema as a kid. It was 1987 and my uncle had just passed his driving test so he was well into driving places and the cinema just happened to be one of them.

Even though the film is only 110 minutes long, they still had an intermission halfway through, for some reason. And I swear, they actually had ushers coming round selling stuff before it started back up again. I believe that is the first and only time I have seen such old-fashioned picturehouse practices. But it makes my original memory of this film so much more nostalgic.

The Hendersons consist of wannabe artist/gun salesman dad George (that always brilliant John Lithgow), loving mum Melinda Dillon, a bratty daughter and a hyperactive son. On returning from a camping trip in the Pacific Northwest, they accidentally run into some sort of large furry creature on the forest road. Originally believing it to be a bear, George steps out of the car to prod it with his gun a few times. But the bear has man-like hands and George suddenly asks his family 'What if it's...HIM'.

Bigfoot! Think of how much he's worth! So they tie him to the roof of the car and drive him home, while George thinks of the best way of selling him. Later that night, he is curious as to how big his feet really are. So he sneaks down to the garage with a measuring tape only to find that he's no longer strapped to the roof of the car, but poking around in the kitchen fridge.

The Hendersons stand back as bigfoot (or Harry as he is later renamed) stomps around the house and garden investigating all their strange belongings. Though he doesn't care much for all the animal trophies hanging around everywhere. Freaking out, George tries to snipe Harry from through the bedroom window, but has a change of heart when he realises that Harry is just big, harmless oaf.

The best scenes of the film involve Harry making himself at home in the Henderson house. His mannerisms and body language are similar to a child warned to be on their best behavior while visiting old relatives. He constantly looks a bit nervous and uncomfortable but is always ready to grab you for a big hug.

Rick Baker deservedly took home an Academy Award for Best Make-Up Effects back in 1988 for this movie. Harry Henderson is an amazing character with a wonderfully wide range of expressions and emotions. All E.T. ever did was sit there looking bug-eyed. Not Harry though, you can't help loving him. I so want my own Bigfoot.

Even now as an adult I think this movie is still great. As a kid I remember feeling the panic and excitement when Harry got lost in Seattle and the half-crazed Bigfoot hunter Jacques LaFleur (David Suchet) doing lots of sleaziness in order to have him shot, gutted and sold to science. Forgive the repeated comparison, but to me it was more involving and fun than the man with the keys in E.T.

You just don't get family movies like this anymore. Back in the 80's Steven Spielberg's Amblin production company made loads of great family movies like Gremlins, Goonies, the Back to the Future Trilogy, Young Sherlock Holmes, and Innerspace. They all had some kind high-concept spin that crud such as Rio or Mars Needs Moms.

It was a great time to be a kid back in those days. We weren't cynical and jaded and hooked on Playstation like modern children. We still had a sense of adventure, a longing for the outdoors. Anything could be out there. Maybe Harry is actually bumbling around in the woods as I write this.

Like the Patterson/Gimlin film that inspired it, Harry and the Hendersons is one movie that will be timeless forever.

The Blu-ray looks great in 1.85:1 1080p widescreen and is the best the film has looked since it was released in 1987. The DTS HD-MA sound fares pretty good and there are a decent amount of extras.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the movie - hate the bad language!, 22 Feb. 2013
J. Brindle "Mary Poppins" (Lancashire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
I remember this one from first time around and bought it as we are re-educating the kids in the "oldies" compared to modern type childrens films. Sadly, I either did not remember or owned a copy that edited out the shear number of swear words. I am so surprised that this PG rated copy contained so many "holy s***", "p***ed off" and a number of "b*****ds" all spoken by the main characters.

The story is an old classic with a heartwarming ending and lots of funny visual comedy but I really wanted other perspective buyers to be aware of the amount of strong language in the film if you are watching with children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories., 28 Nov. 2013
Kids these days like all the special effects. This is a good ol fashion story about family morals and right and wrong. Felt like being 10 again. Def one to add to the library to share

5.0 out of 5 stars family film, 19 Dec. 2009
S. Cole (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great family film
Very funny,warm. one of my all time favorites. From the 80s
if your 6 to 10 year olds haven't seen it give them a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as remember but not a PG!!, 23 Jun. 2012
Got this film for my kids to see as I remember it as a child. Watched it tonight and was shocked at how many swear words came up considering its meant to be classed as a PG film. Fortunately my kids didn't seem to notice as they don't really know what swear words are anyway!

But beware if purchasing for kids!

Despite this, still a great film.