5.0 out of 5 stars Great new missing manual
Published 7 months ago by A W Skone

1.0 out of 5 stars The shell is the most interesting and useful feature of a Unix computer
Facile and superficial.
Everything "difficult" is labelled "for geeks" and not properly covered. I got irritated in the end by his patronising manner, and found the book to be very unhelpful anyway. I'm a geek, I suppose, and I find this anti-intellectualism irritating in the extreme. The shell is the most interesting and useful feature of a Unix...
Published 1 month ago by Sinnerman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new missing manual, 24 Jan 2014
Until recently,I had never used any Mac equipment. With much trepidation, I purchased a MacBook Pro 13.3 with Mavericks. At 73 years of age, I knew that it would be a slow process learning even the basics. I attended a few one-to-one sessions with Apple staff, but to be honest, I was struggling. Then I saw the OS X Mavericks "the missing manual" advertised on Amazon, and ordered it immediately.Since receiving my copy, I can honestly say that it has totally changed my outlook. I now know that I can instantly find out how to do almost anything that I need to do with this wonderful book. Because of my age, I cannot retain things in my mind for as long as I used to. With this book though, I can easily go back to previous subjects and refresh my memory, and also use it as a reference point. I would thoroughly recommend this book to people of all ages. If I can learn from it, anyone can.

5.0 out of 5 stars First choice for OS X manual, 3 Jan 2014
"OS X Mavericks: The Missing Manual" written by David Pogue is latest edition in "Missing Manual" series that provide excellent and detailed information for all applications and devices that had the good fortune these unofficial guides been issued for their usage.

OS X Mavericks being 10th major update of Apple's Unix-based operating system is the software you cannot purchase on DVD/CD or flash drive - you have only possibility to download it.
This means that the user won't get any printed instructions for its usage, except those you can download (and then print) from the vendor website that describe some of the basic functionalities; or you can turn to help system that lacks examples and any kind of tutorials.
And it's precisely in these areas Missing Manual series of books shines, unburdened by the pressure of information that have to be written in official manuals, offering countless examples, tutorials and how-to tips.

OS X Mavericks MM is intended for those users who are already familiar with OS X operating system on intermediate level, though those who are beginners can also use it thanks to small sidebar articles "Up to Speed" that offers great advices for novice users due to which they'll soon cease to feel like rookies.
If you're seasoned Mac user, there is no need to worry because you can also find it helpful due to similar articles called "Power Users' Clinic" that offer advanced tricks, helpful technical tips and many shortcuts that facilitate your work.

The author divided manual for this great OS in six major chapters:
- first chapter discusses about OS X desktop and all the things you can see on your screen when computer with OS X is turned on
- second chapter theme are the applications of all types you can use on OS X among other things, providing information about their opening, switching and swapping data between them, usage of AppleScript and Automator automation tools, even how to run Windows on your Mac
- third chapter is about the components that make OS X discussing more than 30 System Preferences panels and more than 50 applications in App/Utility folders
- fourth chapter speaks about a bit advanced themes, like networking, screen and file sharing - in few words, everything due to which is Apple father of multitasking and role model that is still unequaled in this area
- fifth chapter speaks about online capabilities of OS X, mostly about Safari browser and Mail application, but also about iCloud services and many ways and protocols of sharing information over the Internet
- final, six chapter speaks about troubleshooting, installation and great list of keyboard shortcuts that would be especially helpful for all those old-school computer experts which for more than 20 years are not separating from their keyboards

David Pogue's "OS X Mavericks" is another great title in "Missing Manual" series, a well-made unofficial guide that offers great examples, walkthroughs, useful tips and behind-the-screen tricks - due to that I can fully recommend it to anyone as a first choice for OS X manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one to get., 12 May 2014
I usually resist the offer to review something, but this is special; in fact it's the bee's knees. At 860 odd pages you aren't going to read it cover to cover, but if you dip into it you immediately discover some nugget or other - it never occurred to me to have dual monitors with a different window open in each and the mouse moving seamlessly across both, until I read that I could. I picked up a second monitor on eBay for 5, and Bingo!
And when I think, There must be a way of doing that?, I look it up and the answer is there, every time.
I am on my first Mac, and it's not all as intuitive as they like to lead you to believe; but with this book all becomes plain sailing.
I looked at other Mavericks manuals in Waterstones, and concluded that wouldn't really help me, and certainly weren't worth the price. But this book is a bargain.
Richard

5.0 out of 5 stars The Missing Manual does it again, 22 Jan 2014
Audrey Toptani (Guildford, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
The Missing Manual does answer pretty well every question you might have (I have a whole bookshelf full of those green books).

5.0 out of 5 stars seriously good, 6 Aug 2014
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
[later note: the new OS X Yosemite is out soon.]

Thorough, easy to understand, now I can get started on my new Apple MacBook Pro quadcore 2.5ghz!

Due to recent a burglary in which I lost my precious PC, have at long last made the jump to Apple and my first impressions are: wow! and why did I wait so long.

Having started to play with my new toy I was anxiously awaiting guidance about all the new jargon, where things go when you click on them, how to download, and more. A quick glance at this book shows that this offers everything I'll need to know to get up and running.

Having an Ipad has helped too, and one of the first things I noticed is this book shows how the current OS goes a long way to merge the old OS with the Ipad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why don't apple supply a manual like this ?????, 18 April 2014
Recently had a mid life crisis and changed all by computers from PC to Mac (couldn't afford Porsche ) I was disappointed with the iMac couldn't see what everyone was raving about until I read this book now the capability of a mac and the advantages of the mac obvious. Wouldn't buy a PC again. Why don't apple supply a manual like this with the product? Thousands must buy a mac and wonder why they have if they haven't read this book. Excellent guide

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 3 May 2014
Clarke (Linlithgow, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: OS X Mavericks: The Missing Manual (Kindle Edition)
One of the best investments I've made since owning macs, is David Pogue's OS X Mavericks: The Missing Manual. Pogue knows what he's talking about AND he writes about technical stuff in a way that's easy to absorb.

I also read his Switching to the Mac book, way back, and I recommend it to anyone who is switching from Windows to Mac.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for, 18 Feb 2014
Upgraded to Mavericks on the release day but would have appreciated the security of a handy guide too.
As always, The Missing Manual provides excellent support and reams of fascinating detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are buying a MAC read this!, 18 Jun 2014
Gives al the secret ways of using the MAC an many short cuts. Very useful reference book. Always something useful to find.

5.0 out of 5 stars OS X Mavericks The Missing Manual, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: OS X Mavericks: The Missing Manual (Kindle Edition)
For new users of Mac the coverage of the operating system is vast and a must have.

For old Mac users there is so much stuff that is available in this manual you're sure to find something that you don't currently know.

The help that apple provides although useful is not a patch on this manual and I as a new user have already found this extremely useful

OS X Mavericks: The Missing Manual