on 9 March 2014
Having put up with BT's shoddy Homehub for a while, I splashed out and bought the Nighthawk. It was very easy to setup and once powered on, browsing to any internet page brought up the router's home page. Clicking through the wizard to connect to BT was simple enough (you'll need the username and type anything in the password box) and within a few minutes you're back online.

I changed the default wireless key and hid the SSID and all of this was simple to do, with well laid out web pages. I've not explored all of the detailed, advanced features yet, but it was simple enough to add in the port forwarding I need. The WiFi, particularly over the 5GHz network, is very quick indeed and the range is roughly double what I was getting from by HomeHub (I can now get two bars of WiFi on my iPhone 5 at the bottom of the garden, before, I'd lose the signal as soon as I got outside

There are a few nice features, such as QoS, the parental controls and the USB port for device sharing. One thing I've not seen before is the idea of a guest network - this allows you to give people WiFi access to the internet through your router, without exposing the rest of your network to them.

The only slight downside is that the box is pretty large and may this put some people off if you are limited in where you can put it. You will still need your BT Openreach modem if you are connected through one of these currently.

I'm very pleased with my purchase so far.
on 12 November 2014
We were using a BT HomeHub 3.0 router, which kept giving us incredible amounts of grief - dropped connections, slow speeds, etc. The Netgear R7000 was a stark contrast. Being able to run a 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz network at the same time means that you get the best of both worlds: High speed, good range, and incredible connectivity.

I've had a lot of routers over the years, and I was hesitant to spend the extra money... But I shouldn't have worried. The R7000 is an *incredible* piece of kit. Buy once, and worry never again type of thing. Highly recommended.
on 4 July 2015
Excellent! Streaming netflix and using apple tv without any issues. I had many problems with the virgin media superhub when connecting wirelessly but everything sorted now. It took less than 10 minutes to install it.
on 10 December 2014
Bought to replace my old d-link router which was causing intermitant drop outs on my bridge.
After installing the performance downstairs increased by 100% from an average of 3.5MB/s to 7-8MB/s and that was still on the old N standard. Replaced the old wireless dongle on another PC and download went from 2MB/s to 10MB/S and this was enclosed in a cupboard so pretty impressive.
So far no issues and happy with the range, can't test its wull ac capabilities as still using N on most of my devices, but they all experianced a speed boost
on 23 August 2014
Have Plusnet Fibre for over a year now. Router provided by them is rubbish. I tried cussing corners and bought TP-LINK router. Which gave me 17Mbps speed and lots of buffering on videos. I started reading and heard of Nighthawk. Read some reviews and bought from Amazon. Config was very easy (IT guy). Hooked it up. Now upstairs in my Room where my iMac is, I have 61Mbps and excellent download speeds. I have 2 TV, IP Cam, Xbox, 4 Mobile phones, 2 Tablets, iMac, 3 Laptops connected simultaneously and still no buffering. Its a very expensive piece of equipment but I think it was worth buying. I have a 1TB USB HDD connected with Router, which every device in the house can share either using Genie or Readyshare. There are some bugs when you use ready share, if you skip a movie, sometimes it closes it. 5G is still a new technology so only 2 devices in my house can connect to 5G. iPhone 4S cant even see it in the list as well as a year old HP Probook. So if you have all new 5G capable device then 5G is worth using. Overall even for 3G if I have to buy another fibre router, I would buy Nighthawk. Router is quite big and placement of antenna is a bit odd. Range in the garden has improved but still lower then I expected. Overall If you are serious about getting speeds then this is your router.
on 24 April 2014
Pleased with the product in most other respects, but very disappointed with the performance of streaming from YouTube, iPlayer or calls on Skype. Tried switching on the QOS for upload and download and while it improved things a bit, watching streamed video is still spoiled by stuttering video and crackling in the sound. I have raised a support case with Netgear and will see how it gets handled. Will report back.

Netgear had me try a few things (play with the MTU settings, reset to factory settings) before deciding I had a faulty unit. They offered an RMA requiring that I foot the not insubstantial cost of return postage despite it being their fault they supplied me a faulty unit! Thankfully Amazon collected my faulty unit and delivered a new one in less than a couple of days - fantastic service and this is a big part of the reason I use them! I'm pleased to say that the new unit works perfectly with no stutter or crackle at all, and I haven't had to turn on the QOS. It worked fine with the firmware it came installed with ( but I updated - with some trepidation that the problem my reappear - to and it was still fine.

The wireless signal strength was the big selling point for me. The speed will be a bonus as my other networked kit gets updated to 802.11ac.

I have upgraded my rating from 2 stars to 5.

Thanks Amazon!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 October 2015
I have been having trouble with my internet ever since I changed provider some 16 months ago. The problem? A cheap and ineffective ISP router that was probably faulty from the start and provided by them, so I decided to splash out and buy a router with some excellent reviews. I am pleased I did. Dull spots in my house no more. Hanging internet pages; gone! Slow downloads; stopped. I cannot believe how much I have been missing using ISP's routers. It DOES pay to pay out some decent money. You can see quite clearly if the internet is down rather than be concerned with 'is it me' or 'is it my I.T.' The Netgear Genie that you can download is excellent at getting you connected and also for ironing out any niggling connection issues that you may have due to your settings. I have also bought a 64GB USB 3.0 stick to back up all of my files automatically by the router and this appears to work fine. Word of warning. The only thing you may need to be aware of is that if your internet keeps going down, (especially if you have been away for the weekend and come home to find that you have an orange warning light illuminated), you may need to change the settings. The router can disconnect from your ISP if you keep the default 5 minute idle setting. You need to select the 'always on'. Was really easy to set up. Just remember that you need your email address and password from your ISP to get the internet working.
on 23 June 2014
My previous router was an Asus rt-n66u,never been really happy with it and had trouble downloading so as i read the positives about this netgear r7000 i thought i would try. Netgear have done a very wise thing in that they have with the router put a booklet in that explains simply how to download it instead of going onto the net to find out,a disc is not required or sent,it took me 15 minutes to complete and i am 76 so most of you should have no problem. I like where you can set up for more power uploading or downloading the latter for me as i get sports,bbc,itv & film channels & it works a treat,it is simple to change from one to the other.My tip is download GENIE first before you start downloading you R7000. Signal is quite good through a concrete wall and glass patio @ 42feet signal still GOOD but then tapered off 50feet signal still but showing poor. It is large i was surprised how large when taking out of the box and i have the router on a shelf halfway up a wall to get the best signal so it was a slight modification required a plastic strap sorted the problem,the asus ran hot and i used to switch off at night as i thought it could be a fire hazard,no problem with the r7000 really cool. When handling the router be careful not to switch the wireless off it is on the front above the wireless l e d. Finally i downloaded with a DSL cable not wireless.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Style Name: AC 3200 MbpsVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
OK this is a great and feature rich router but why did I give it only 4 stars?

It has a couple of things that annoyed me. Firstly ... it's not Tri-Band at all. It's a 2.4Ghz band and 2*5Ghx bands. I was expecting a new bandwidth that I hadn't seen before an assumed some new development had been made. Nope.
So why get grumpy over 2 * 5Ghz ? Well there's already lots of problems with kit not communicating properly becuase some of it works only on 2,4Ghz and phones and ipads use both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. That's great when you wander about the house and your phone switches from one to the other but webcams and wireless hi-fi and speaker systems don't and so the phones and pads controlling all this tech drop the signal frequently and cause loss of coms with your camera, speaker etc. So now they have introduced another pointless additional band which will only increase this happening.
The big selling point is that this will intelligently route different traffic types. However the real need is in cross band traffic. I want to be able to communicate with different kit on different bandwidth seamlessly and that's the real problem. Other than that it's a great bit of kit with really nice throughput and range.
My last grump is why the heck have 1 USB 3.0 slot and a USB 2.0 slot ? Makes no sense ... prvious routers have had 2 * USB3.0 slots
on 14 April 2015
I purchased this last October (2014) and have been using it for just coming up to 6 months.
At first, considering the price, I was disappointed. QoS was pretty pointless and transfer speeds over the Wifi, particularly 2.5Ghz was poorer than expected.
However, I held out hope that things would improve with new firmware releases (Reason being, the chipset inside the router was so new at the time) and I wasn't disappointed to do so. Connection speeds and transfer speeds improved dramatically with each firmware update (Very easy to do this through the web interface on the router. A few clicks of a button and you're done. Even looks to see if there are newer versions). The version I'm currently using is (Latest as of writing) and made a huge difference.

I don't use the connectivity on this for USB nor ESATA so cannot comment on there performance, but from what I've read elsewhere, the firmware updates has had an impact on these as well.

If you're currently a virgin media customer like me and currently have either the Super hub 1 or 2 (Had both and they are TERRIBLE) then buy this and Wifi will seem like a different experience. The only thing I have to reboot now and again is the Super hub 2 router set to Modem mode as Virgin don't provide any other type of modem (!!!)

5 star..... eventually