4.0 out of 5 stars a trips down imagination road review

Published 15 months ago by Laura Greenwood

2.0 out of 5 stars Just too silly
The first scene of this book is great - Tristan watches Rachel get ready for her wedding whilst he is invisible and knowing that he intends to stop her marriage going ahead. After that the book gets silly and the plot falls apart completely.

Published 14 months ago by Anne

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars a trips down imagination road review, 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Agent I1: Tristan (DIRE Agency Series Bk #1) (The D.I.R.E. Agency) (Kindle Edition)
I received a copy of Agent I1: Tristan in exchange for my review.

Being the only man in the world that is able to become invisible, and teleport, has its disadvantages, as D.I.R.E agent, Tristan, finds out when his best friend, Aidan, asks him to help stop his sister's wedding. Rachel is all set to marry Cody, but not for love, rather in order to get her family's debt paid off after the death of her father. Whisked away from her wedding to a tropical island by Tristan, Rachel trys not to fall for the mysterious and seemingly aloof Tristan. But when he whisks her off to see the sights of Europe for the night to cheer her up, she begins to find it harder and harder to resist him...

The concept behind this book was what attracted me to it. Super heroes but with powers granted to them by science (placing the D.I.R.E Agency series firmly in the science fiction genre as opposed to paranormal or urban fantasy) and I wasn't disappointed! It was pulled off in such a way that it made the science seem possible, but yet didn't quite lose the magic that would be associated with such powers. And on top of that, there was the promise of even more interesting things to come from the Agency!

I'm now going to do something slightly unusual and I'm going to speculate! More specifically these are my thoughts on Cassandra, a character who seemed very much side lined and was made to seem unimportant. But I have this feeling that she is going to become important, and I think she has the potential to become the main antagonist. I could of course be completely wrong about that!

Something quite noticeable about this book, on reflection anyway, was the small size of the cast, particularly for a book this length. There were very few central characters, and not many more secondary ones. This is something that I have come to expect from novellas as opposed to longer works, but in this case I think tat it worked, particularly as the characters were clearly well thought out.

I enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading the next one!
I received a copy of Agent I1: Tristan in exchange for my review.

I enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading the next one!

Blog: [...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Just too silly, 5 Feb. 2014
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Tristan has a range of superpowers to meet every occasion - although the science of how he gets them is not described at all. He protects Rachel at the request of her over-protective brother with the two men making her life decisions for her and without consultation - not cool. The bad guys (a comic book evil family) seem to be able to identify Tristan by some sort of signal he puts out - how is never explained. I never really understood why this private agency went around the world righting wrongs and killing bad people and how this was a good thing and how they knew these people were doing bad things without the benefit of the criminal justice system and giving them the opportunity to defend themselves.

I really couldn't concentrate on the romance because the silliness of the plot was too much for me. Would have made a good comic book but no real thought or depth was displayed. Not one for me. I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superhero powers and romance - fabulous mix, 4 Feb. 2015
New series for me and it began with a bang!!! Secret government agency does technological enhancements to soldiers. Tristan is the first to go through the process. He can become invisible and teleport himself wherever he wants in an instant. But superhero powers come at a price: relationships and superpowers don't really mix.

Rachel Monroe is the sister of Tristan's friend, Aiden. She;s getting married to douchebag of the century Cord, as he has promised to pay off her late fathers medical bills! Tristan was asked to help scrap the wedding and almost succeeds. The wedding is called off and he teleports her away from the mayhem which ensues. They initially butt heads but things quickly become hot and heavy.

I loved the plot twists, the romance, Tristan's struggles to settle into his new abilities. The background stories involving their parents, friends ( I loved Ben) and co-workers are great and it gets real messy real fast. I love to have a bad guy to root for and Naylor is bad in spades!!!!!!

I did think Rachel was a bit too sweet and naive and ready to run at the least provocation but other than that I thought it was great and I am already enjoying book 2, featuring Aiden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing!!, 26 Dec. 2014
For a first time author Joni creates a unique and brilliant world which exists just within our own, an agency of "super heroes" protecting us without any one knowing!
The concept of genetically modified soldiers is not a new one, and as a fan of fantasy & military genres I have read many books which include the concept but failed to get the reader hooked...I'm glad to say any reader of the DIRE agency books will not be disappointed, the characters are unique and the stories gripping from the outset.
Will be downloading the rest of the series!

3.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable romance., 11 Feb. 2014
The writing is excellent, although there are a few typos/missing words. Nothing that distracts from the book though. The ideas are imaginative and somewhat unique and the characters are believable and interesting. Why only three stars? The romance while being tasteful managed to overshadow the actual story. Which meant that I was a little puzzled to find it in the sci-to section on Amazon. Maybe I expect too much from such a short book but I just felt there was a lot of background information missing. It was good as a romance (if a little short) but to become a sci-to (or even Superhero Romance as listed) then there needs to be a bit more science for me. That being said if you can suspend your disbelief for a bit then this book is worth a look. I will probably buy the rest of the series but they just won't be at the top of my list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agent I1: Tristan, 4 Feb. 2014
Evampire (Gonzales, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This intriguing and exciting futuristic action romance is the first book in the D.I.R.E. Agency series.

Having always been a force to be reckoned with, former Navy Seal Tristan Jacobs is now a walking unstoppable weapon thanks to the D.I.R.E. Agency. When an ex-team mate calls in a favor, Tristan reluctantly agrees and finds himself on the toughest mission he’s ever been on, protecting Rachel Monroe, but she is way too distracting and he’s a lethal weapon that can’t afford to lose focus. Now his enemies have come to her small town looking for vengeance. Have they found more than they bargained for? Or, does the past have its own retribution in mind?

This fast paced plot takes the reader on quite an action packed adventure with some rather unusual aspects. The author brings the story to life with vivid images and details that ensure the readers feel as if they are part of the story. The strong compelling characters are easily related to and capture the reader’s attention from the very beginning and keep it to the end.

The chemistry between Tristan and Rachel radiates heat from every page and the sex scenes are hot and steamy. The author draws the reader into the characters lives with intense details that make the reader empathize with the characters and making them feel as if they know them. All the characters are interesting with great personalities and charisma that leave the reader wanting to know more.

The story created by the author keeps the reader on the edge of the seat with anticipation, suspense, action and romance. The concept is fascinating with lots of excitement throughout that keeps the reader thoroughly engaged from beginning to end and to spice things up a few interesting surprises and unique elements.

I was totally caught up in the story from the very beginning and what an attention getting way to start a story and it just kept getting more interesting from there. I had to finish the book and I am certainly looking forward to reading more about Aidan and his super hero abilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 22 Jan. 2015
A new author for me. But this story was grey it had my heart pounding in places, a super hot hero a sassy heroine and the other characters in the book are exciting too. If you like suspense and romance you will love this. Off to read Aiden's book now.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing., 15 Sept. 2014
S. Shepherd (hampshire, uk.) - See all my reviews
One of those books where you start reading, and get to the end realising your still waiting for the story to start. The characters were overly macho and a bit too perfect, was all a bit too false for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read., 19 Sept. 2014
One of those books you are glad you found. Another good author that can tell a good story. The book flows easily and the characters are all true individuals.
Well done the author for a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars missing some of the book, 14 Mar. 2015
I have enjoyed reading the book unfortunately some of the book is missing and I couldn't finish the story and left wondering how it is going to finish

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›