4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the older models, but still a bargain.
Published 5 months ago by Arheddis Varkenjaab

2.0 out of 5 stars best avoid until they update the firmware
I have been a fan of Sansa mp3 players for many years, so it is disappointing to have to report that this latest version is a distinct step backwards in terms of quality and function. To summarise:

Good points:

- takes microsd cards - I tried 32g and it works

- fairly cheap

- slightly larger screen size

- battery...
Published 6 months ago by Don Panik

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the older models, but still a bargain., 12 April 2014
This review is from: SanDisk Clip Sport 8 GB MP3 Player - Black (SDMX24-008G-G46K) (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've a SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black which is excellent, simple to use, light and strong and I love it, so it's hugely disappointing to get this new version and find that it's just not as good. The screen is poor quality, there's no 'lock' button so it's annoying to use on the move and it just doesn't have the same quality feel as the old one. It also insists on putting your music on in alphabetical order. The colour screen is not good enough to show cover art and the screen isn't high quality enough to really make it comfortable to read. The old one has a simple, bright two-colour display that is far better.

I find myself using my old Sansa rather than this one. It might not have a colour screen but apart from that, it's better in every way. Go for the older model.

All that aside - it's still a bargain for what you get. Sound quality is great, easy to use, no DRM rubbish or itunes nonsense (just drag and drop files like a memory stick) and cheap enough that you won't be too upset if you leave it on the train. Depsite me sounding down on it, it would still be second choice if I was buying again - my first being the older model.

2.0 out of 5 stars best avoid until they update the firmware, 24 Mar 2014
Don Panik (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Good points:

- takes microsd cards - I tried 32g and it works

- fairly cheap

- slightly larger screen size

- battery life is improved

Bad points:

- quality of plastic has got worse - feels cheap

- no lock button / function - useless for sports and not great if you just want to move around when wearing it, it skips tracks constantly

- software is very clunky, tracks arranged alphabetically unless you number them in the file name and play from the folder view

- display looks pretty bad

- music quality worse - tends to distort.

Overall I cannot recommend this player, which is a real shame because they used to be great. In fact I can't believe that Sansa have put this out at all. A firmware update could fix a few of the issues perhaps and then it might be ok. Until then I would advise to stick to an older model.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another hit from SanDisk!, 21 April 2014
uncle barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
San Disk Sansa Clip Sport 4GB

This is my 5th San Disk mp3 player - and I LOVE them! This latest one was sent to me by Amazon to review and so I feel duty bound to review it on its own - but also in comparison to older versions.

Firstly it IS small but actually bigger than previous Sansa Clip MP3 players - I am unsure why?

It has the usual annoying "feature" of limiting the volume unless you say you are from North America - then you can have the player as loud as you actually need. I often listen to talking books on these devices and the usual volume constraint means I sometimes cannot hear the reader! Perhaps it's just me - I just don't like being dictated to what volume I should be allowed to listen to!

The playback of music and talking books is also excellent - I cannot fault the quality of the playback. Also the battery life seems to be really good at the moment. I've got 12 hours+ out of it - even mostly at full volume.

There are 5 categories to choose from:

Radio: This is a great little radio with surprisingly decent FM reception - Radio for (for instance) is just about as clear as on my DAB radio!

Books:
Annoyingly this quite often plays books in a strange order - so the order goes track 1 and then track 10, 11, 12 etc - which is just frustrating! I ALWAYS therefore read my books by going into the FOLDER area (see below). Therefore the "Books" category is of no use at all for me!

Folder:
This is the ONLY way I listen to stuff these days - whether books or Music - it's the only way a lot of these mp3 players play the stuff how you meant them to be played!

Card:
This shows all of the files on the micro-SD card (when fitted)

Sport:
This has got the four categories "Stopwatch", Timer, Saved Logs and Delete Logs. With Stopwatch - the mp3 player just acts like a stopwatch (well that's a surprise) - you just use the play/pause buttons to use it, "Timer" (which is a countdown timer from anything up to 99 hours 99 minutes to just 1 minute) - it then plays a little tune until you hit another button. Erm… I am unsure what the last two categories do at the moment!

Having a slot for the microSD card means that it really doesn't matter which of these you go for because you can just put a further 16GB, 32GB or even a 64GB card in its side to increase its memory hugely (or have half a dozen on you with different types of music/boos on if you so wish!)

So, at the end of the day, how does this shape up with other mp3 players? It's a great little mp3 player and I am a fan… but… I still prefer the last generation of the Sansa Clips which were slightly smaller and without any unnecessary "Sport" stuff on - for me. If you like the idea of the extra stopwatch and Timer though - you could do a lot worse than this little beauty!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but with 2 baffling flaws, 11 May 2014
It would be churlish to be too critical of the Clip Sport given its low price, huge capacity (with a micro SD card) and good sound quality but there are 2 glaring errors that do spoil it. Firstly, Albums are stored and played in Alphabetical order, not track order. How this kind of error can make it to production is beyond me. Secondly, there is no lock facility which means you can inadvertantly skip tracks or change radio channels when all you were planning on doing was tying your laces. A good product spoiled by poor attention to detail.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive but flawed MP3 player, 22 Mar 2014
OMG! It's got a plug! - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Out of the box and switched on, the first thing you are presented with is the 'Regional Settings' menu. If you like your music loud, select either 'North America' or 'Rest of the World'. Select 'Europe' and the volume will be restricted due to EU regulations.

This is a tiny MP3 player (not too much bigger than the iPod Shuffle), it weighs next to nothing and it has a built-in clip. Transferring music onto it is simple - just connect it to your PC and drag and drop files onto it. One of the best features is that you can expand its capacity with a MicroSD card. I slotted a 64GB MicroSDXC card (formatted to FAT32) into it not sure if it would accept such a high capacity card but it did and within a couple of minutes I had approximately 400 CDs worth of music available to play.

I'm quite obsessive about tagging my MP3 music correctly and was surprised that when attempting to playback albums from both the internal storage (3.88GB) and MicroSD card, it played the tracks in alphabetical order! I'm not sure why but if you have this problem too, there is a simple workaround - instead of selecting the 'Music' folder when accessing your music, select the 'Folder' folder and play your music files from there and albums will then playback in the correct sequence. However, when accessing music from this folder, albums stored on the MicroSD card are not listed in alphabetical order and it can be difficult to find the exact album you want to listen to. It's an unexpected flaw from such an established brand but not an all out disaster given the workaround. One thing that I really like is that when switched on it carries on playing from exactly where it was when you switched it off and it's ready to go within a couple of seconds of being switched on - it doesn't have to re-scan the MicroSD card.

Sound quality is SUPERB - it goes way louder and sounds better and clearer than my Samsung MP3 player and the supplied earphones are OK too but not particularly comfortable (I'm using it with Sennheiser earphones). It has a number of pre-set EQ settings (Rock, Pop, Jazz etc.) and you can also custom set the EQ too. It's very easy to navigate using an LCD menu and a few simple buttons, displays (tiny) album artwork and you can shuffle and repeat tracks and set-up playlists. The FM radio works well with a surprisingly clear reception and you can pre-set stations. It has a sleep mode and there's also a timer and stopwatch in the 'Sports' folder with the option to save your logs. The battery lasts a reasonable 17-18 hours when playing 320kbps encoded MP3 files with the volume at approx 70%.

If you're in the market for a basic, small and affordable MP3 player this is OK and the fact that it supports 64GB MicroSD cards is a big selling point. The only real faults I can find are the playing of album tracks in alphabetical order kerfuffle (albeit there's a workaround), displaying albums in random order when using the workaround and there is NO Lock button. Not having a Lock button is not too much of a problem if you clip it onto your clothing but put it in your pocket and it skips backwards and forwards between tracks very easily.

Overall rating: 3½ stars.

Update: A 128GB MicroSDXC card (formatted to FAT32) works with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent + fix for track playing order, 3 Aug 2014
Mike L (St Helens, UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent product. NOTE - if you go to the sandisk website and upload the latest firmware update you can then play tracks in the order they come, not just aphapbetical (which would have bugged me)

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Marks, 3 July 2014
This is a cracking good little gadget!. Compact and reliable, with a good storage capacity, which produces good quality audio at a decent volume and without distortion.
You can clip the SanDisk onto your t-shirt whilst working out in the gym, cycling or walking, so it's accessible and won't get lost.
We're now a two-SanDisk family, and I would recommend this product to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great battery life, 25 Aug 2014
A. Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
This is my third Sansa Clip. I love the extra battery life of this model - I seem to hardly ever charge it and I use it for an hour at the gym every day. I presume that the slightly slower response to me pressing a button is what allows this extra battery power so I can live with that. I don't mind that it is a little bigger than the previous model - it's still very small and I can see the screen a little better! The clip is still the main benefit for me so I can easily use it while running etc. I don't miss the extra features either - I only ever used it to listen to music. My only disappointment is that you can't lock it and so sometimes I accidentally cause the song to skip to the next one or previous one when exercising. I was a bit confused at first about how to get playlists on it (I used to do it via Windows Media Player for previous models) but the Sansa website gave good advice and now I am sorted out. Overall, for the price and battery life, I've happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars great item, 30 Jun 2014
small, light, tough build, color screen is nice, battery lasts forever, easy to charge with universal cable. takes sd card, and does what it says on the tin. really top notch product

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad the Evo went faulty-Super Sansa Clip!, 29 Jun 2014
got this to replace the 8GB evo player that went faulty! First day after a run I dropped it in the bath-used a hairdryer and left it in a bag of rice overnight. Switched it on the next day- working fine :-) -the following week I ran a 10K- poured a bottle of water over my head- straight down into the player. switched it off and left it again. Still working. Great little player, only downside is the top volume level could be higher. overall very happy with it. I'll probably get a cover for it though!!