4.0 out of 5 stars 48 Times Better Than Fish Oil
Krill oil is made from krill, a small, shrimp-like crustacean that inhabits the cold ocean areas of the world. Despite their small size, krill make up the largest animal biomass on the planet. There are approximately 500 million tons of krill roaming around in northern seas.

The antioxidant potency of krill oil is 48 times more potent than fish oil...
Published 5 months ago by OEJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Krill oil
Published 5 months ago by Smallvillenews

3.0 out of 5 stars Krill oil, 17 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to say that it is very hard to review these krill oil capsules, because I genuinely don't know if they are doing anything for me or not, because I can't really tell any difference from when I use them to when I don't. The only thing I can say is that I suffer with occasional palpitations and these have reduced, but I have also lost weight, so this could be a contributory factor and is not necessarily related to the use of the krill oil.

This brand of krill oil has a pleasant vanilla coating which smells very nice when you open the container and I have not noticed any unpleasant fishy odours. The capsules are average size and easy to swallow with water.

I can only advise on what I have read about the use of krill oil and that is to say that whilst there is some evidence that it works, there is insufficient evidence to confirm its effectiveness, as there has not been enough study into it and research is ongoing. The following is a list of ailments that have ongoing research into the use of krill oil.

Developing research shows that taking 1-1.5 grams of a specific krill oil product daily reduces total cholesterol and "bad" low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, and increases "good" high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol in patients with high cholesterol. Higher doses of 2-3 grams daily also appear to significantly reduce levels of triglycerides, another type of blood fat.

Early research shows that taking 300 mg of a specific krill oil product daily reduces pain and stiffness in people with osteoarthritis, reduces pain and stiffness in people with rheumatoid arthritis and might reduce symptoms of PMS. It may also be effective in treating, high blood pressure, reducing the risk of strokes, cancer, depression and other conditions.

However, as stated previously, more evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of krill oil for these uses.

Krill oil is POSSIBLY SAFE for most adults when used appropriately for a short amount of time, current recommendations are for use up to 3 months only. Research on krill oil has not adequately evaluated its safety or possible side effects, but it is likely that krill oil can cause some side effects similar to fish oil products, such as, bad breath, heartburn, fishy taste, upset stomach, nausea, and loose stools.

Special precautions and warnings are given about using krill oil during pregnancy and if breast-feeding, as there is not enough known about the use of krill oil during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid using it altogether if this applies to you.

Some people who are allergic to seafood might also be allergic to krill oil supplements. There is no reliable information showing how likely people with seafood allergy are to have an allergic reaction to krill oil; however, until more is known, avoid using krill oil or use it cautiously if you have a seafood allergy.

There is concern that krill oil might increase the risk of bleeding during and after surgery, as it reduces blood clotting. So it is advised to stop using krill oil at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

You should be warned and be cautious about using krill oil in combination with medications that slow blood clotting, as anticoagulant / antiplatelet drugs interact with krill oil. Because krill oil might slow blood clotting, taking krill oil along with medications that also slow clotting might increase the chances of bruising and bleeding.

Medications that slow blood clotting and may interact with krill oil include aspirin, clopidogrel (Plavix), diclofenac (Voltaren, Cataflam, others), ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, others), dalteparin (Fragmin), enoxaparin (Lovenox), heparin, warfarin (Coumadin), and others.

Other medicine interactions are linked with Orlistat (Xenical, Alli). Orlistat (Xenical, Alli) is used for weight loss and it prevents dietary fats from being absorbed from the gut. There is some concern that orlistat (Xenical, Alli) might also decrease absorption of krill oil when they are taken together. To avoid this potential interaction take orlistat (Xenical, Alli) and krill oil at least 2 hours apart.

The appropriate dose of krill oil depends on several factors such as the user's age, health, and several other conditions. At this time there is not enough scientific information to determine an appropriate range of doses for krill oil. Keep in mind that natural products are not always necessarily safe and dosages can be important. Be sure to follow relevant directions on product labels and consult your pharmacist or physician or other healthcare professional before using.

All this said, I do not think they are worth the price tag as it is still essentially a product with inadequate test results and over all has no proof that it is better than other fish oils, despite how well it is packaged and how well it is advertised in stores everywhere at the moment. I would advise to use the best generic fish oil you can afford and don't just buy into hype.

4.0 out of 5 stars 48 Times Better Than Fish Oil, 24 Jun 2014
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The antioxidant potency of krill oil is 48 times more potent than fish oil.

Krill oil, like fish oil, contains omega-3 fats such as eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) and docosahexanoic acid (DHA). However, in fish oil, these omega-3 fats are found in the triglyceride form. I have a personal interest/concern with triglyceride levels and I was reassured to learn that supplementing my diet with krill oil can regulate genes in the liver and influence the production of glucose, fat and cholesterol metabolism.

I have been taking cod liver oil capsules for many years and I am convinced that this daily habit has been of benefit to my health. But I believe krill oil is an even better option for most people, for several reasons. I particularly appreciate the fact that the omega-3 is attached to phospholipids that dramatically increase its absorption, especially into brain tissue. High-quality fish oils are certainly great products with many important health benefits but fish oil is weak in antioxidant content, whereas krill oil contains potent antioxidants.

Its only drawback is that it does not contain more than a trace of vitamin D, which is nearly as important as omega-3 fats. You can remedy this however, by making sure you're getting plenty of appropriate sun exposure as that is your best source of vitamin D anyway.

As far as supplements are concerned, two of the best yet simplest ways to improve your overall health include:

Increasing your intake of antioxidants
Increasing your intake of omega-3 oils

And krill oil accomplishes both of those missions.

Krill has been shown to be beneficial for a really wide range of health issues, including:

Support for concentration, memory, and learning
Blood sugar health
Healthy joints, with an increase in joint comfort
Fighting signs of aging
Protection for cell membranes
Cholesterol and other blood lipid health
Healthy liver function
Relief of normal PMS symptoms
Bolstering your immune system
Healthy mood support
Optimal skin health

I'm not replacing the cod-liver oil with krill oil, rather I have chosen to take both.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not in the least bit fishy, 31 May 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to be honest. I have absolutely no idea if these are of any health benefit and there is no real way of saying if they are. However, I don't eat a lot of oily fish and I have no doubt my diet lacks Omega-3. I used to take cod liver oil in the morning, but it used to repeat on me for hours after and it wasn't a particularly nice taste.

The opportunity arose for me to try these so I gave it a shot. How do I feel now? No different, but that doesn't mean that they are not having a positive effect on my health. There are arguments for and against taking supplements and I guess if you have a good healthy and balanced diet there should be no need to take them. However, we live in a time of fast food, missed meals, processed food, genetically modified crops and a general mish mash of unhealthy snacks, so what can it hurt to take a supplement?

They don't taste bad and don't keep repeating on you. The price isn't too bad, but you are looking at around £100 per year if you take one a day. They have a pleasant sweet smell in the bottle and there is a sachet of silica gel to keep the moisture out - don't eat that!. They are easy enough to take and not too large, so they should go down easy with a few swallows of water.

I can't say whether they are of any real health benefit or not, but neither can I find any reason to give them less than 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars really helped my arthritis, 17 July 2014
L. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
it really has made a noticeable difference to my athritis i dunno if its just a period of the athritis going down temporarily but so far for the few weeks its working.

AND ive only been using around 1 a week they say 1-2 a day but i received only a small sample and its really expensive and 1 a week is doing the job for me.

5 stars id recommend the product but its so expensive for something i thought to be abundant (krill). its too pricey but i will probably be buying this or some other copy from another company or at least some other krill product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sceptical, 17 July 2014
Kris (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Easy to swallow but very expensive compared to standard cod liver oil and omega 3. You would presume these must do you good but difficult to judge this. Personally I can't say they did anything for me but if you believe in this then no complaints about size and no fishy aftertaste either.

These would be very expensive if you take the advised daily amount (1-3) personally I think standard fish oils do just as much for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars No negatives to report., 16 Jun 2014
Andy O'Boogie (Widnes, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: MegaRed Krill Oil Omega 3 Capsules - Pack Of 30 (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As everybody says it is hard to review a tablet. However I can report no side effects, no bad taste, easy to swallow. It is krill so it is better for you than other products (according to people that know about these things). Loses a star because of the price compared to similar products. Other than that no complaints!

4.0 out of 5 stars Krill Ripple..., 9 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I probably haven't been taking MegaRed for long enough to really judge its benefits but I can comment on the drawbacks - there aren't any really. I wasn't currently taking any kind of fish-oil supplement when I started with MegaRed, but I have in the past and the MegaRed capsules are certainly easier to swallow than some. They're small and firm and do have, as others have pointed out, a weird scent mix of vanilla and seafood - if Prawn Ice Cream existed it would probably smell like this. The scent isn't that strong and isn't off-putting enough to stop you swallowing them - it just seems like a weird choice. I've had no side-effects from taking them, no upset stomach or fishy burps, and although it's too soon to look for real health benefits I can confirm I haven't keeled over with a major coronary yet - despite embarking on the most intense fitness program of my life so far. So that's good news then...

4.0 out of 5 stars No problem supplement, 12 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Small, easy to swallow capsules with a sweet aroma to them; so no fishy smell, or taste for that matter so all's good. Whether or not they'll be beneficial, I have no idea. I don't feel any different, but then I wouldn't expect to.

Interestingly, when I mentioned these to my friend she said her doctor in Finland recommended she start taking 9,000mg of fish oil pills a day to help with her arthritis and she insists it makes a difference but that's 10-30 times the recommended amount you'd get from these pills depending on whether you intend to take 1 or 3 pills a day, which is a huge difference. Obviously, that's for arthritis and these pills make no claim about that, only heart health, so just passing that info on really :)

3.0 out of 5 stars in for the Krill, 15 July 2014
G. J. Oxley "Gaz" (Tyne & Wear, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It seems that every other week there is a new medical wonder producuct on the shelves in homeopathic or herbal stores - and the latest of these are tablets containing krill. They are billed as being good for your heart, among a host of other claimed benefits. You can see the manufacturer's point - can anyone name the last occasion on which they spotted an Orca recuperating in a cardiac ward? I rest my case.

But seriously, these can apparently do you good - and this is allegedly scientifically proven.

I've been taking these for 5 weeks now, and while I haven't felt any benefit, I can only assume they are doing me good. The capsules themselves are easy to swallow and the coating contains vanilla, which means they are tasty as well. The only drawback? They definitely aren't cheap!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, 15 July 2014
Babs (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using fish oils for many years but am new to Krill Oil. I started taking this to help with Mild arthritis and for me it has helped reduce stiffness and mild pain. Thats not to say it will work for everyone. I think with supplements a 'suck it and see' approach is needed.

I have read that Krill Oil reduces cholesterol (yay!) and has blood 'thinning' properties. If you are taking blood thinners, anti coagulants or statins, or any medicines at all - then in my opinion you really ought to consult your GP or medical practitioner before taking these - in case it interfers with your medicine and causes dangerous side effects.

For me personally, I like this. I have noticably more hydrated skin, and my joints are not as painful when I take them. I think these are certainly worth a try.