on 11 June 2014
This is pretty good and does exactly what I want quite easily. It doesn't feel incredibly sturdy and I do worry that I'll overtighten the clamp at the bottom, also sometimes the yarn gets caught up in the mechanism. Over all though, it's excellent and if I had the chance over I'd still buy one.

The yarn cakes themselves are a great shape and make storage much easier. Also, because it creates a centre pull with a flat bottom the yarn doesn't roll about everywhere.
on 12 January 2016
I love this item, however it is not without its faults. Based on what I have written below, 4 starts may seem high, but I have not found a better method of winding yarn and I love to use this – I find it very relaxing (almost hypnotic!) and love the finished article.

Pros:
Give a lovely neat yarn ‘cake’ – nice looking and easier storage.
Allows you to easily pull yarn from the centre, so the yarn is easier to use.

Cons:
If you loose the rhythm, and the yarn skips over the top or bottom of the cake, it can be a pain to correct and get going again
I found that I had to feed the yarn into the winder to ensure it would wind properly.

Tips:
The section of the winder that the yarn winds onto detaches form the winder. When putting it back on, make sure it is securely twisted and locked in place, otherwise it will cause problems with winding.
The metal feeding arm at the back of the yarn winder needs to be pulled out from the winder to lock into place. I initially thought mine was broken as the arm kept flopping over, but I had to be really harsh with it and pull it out to about 2 inches for into properly lock. As mentioned above, even with this arm locked into place, I still felt that I needed to provide some extra help to ensure a steady feed into the winder.
on 30 May 2015
I purchased this for re-winding my balls of yarn that have become unravelled or untidy and also for re-winding all of my DMC Natura Cotton balls. They've got to be The most annoying for becoming so easily unravelled during use!
Really easy to use, and after reading previous reviews, I took someone else's tip and pulled the feeder bar out passed what I thought was as far as it would go, and hey presto! It does actually lock in, therefore stopping it from falling during use as other reviewers have complained of.
It is simple to use. I fix the clamp to my kitchen worktop ( haven't got a table ) place my part unravelled ball of yarn in the box the winder came in on the floor - lid open - place yarn in *groove* on the spindle, wind yarn once through the coil on the feeder bar and off I go. Do not get carried away and turn the handle too fast and I have found the tension to be perfect. Before gently sliding off the finished newly wound ball of yarn with both hands, I just pull up the very beginning piece of yarn that I initially placed in the *groove* on the spindle so I can use it as a centre feed!
Perfect 😃
on 17 November 2014
Very disappointed x cheap plastic screw that does not grip the clamp properly and the metal holder for the wool keeps falling x have used a wool winder before and this is a very cheap version x
on 21 December 2014
I love this gadget already. It is great for keeping your oddments of wool nice and tidy. I was a little unsure of how to use it although the instructions were fairly clear but I found a video on YouTube that was most helpful. One tip though when you set it up please ensure that you pull the yarn holder all the way out, I thought I had done this but you actually pull it a little bit more than you think you should and then it locks. I didnt pull it out far enough at first and the feeder was falling over all of the time. My husband looked at it for me and discovered that it needed to be pulled out more. It is a little scary because it feels as though you are pulling it out too far but you need to do this to lock it. You will know when it is right because it will become locked and rigid.
on 12 May 2016
Here are a few tips:
Don't buy this if you are of a nervous disposition
Patience is an absolutely necessary character trait one must possess when using this product
Slow is better
Hand strength of the Hulk is required when setting the yarn guide or it will fall over
DO turn the handle in a clockwise direction - seriously -
The product was made in China, and after using it I wasn't surprised by that one bit
On balance, it is better than hand winding an entire ball of yarn if the exercise is preceded by several tall gin & tonics
review image
on 6 February 2014
It might look like cheap plastic, but it does a fantastic job. I think I've gone a little mad on caking a LOT of my yarn. It's so quick and easy to do, especially when you use an umbrella swift to help along.
on 2 May 2014
This does as it say - winds all your yarn into neat little cheeses! The yarn can then be unwound from either the outside thread or the inner one. I have started to wrap the cheeses in paper or card tubes, which help keep my rather large yarn stash clean and tidy, I then write the weight on the paper so I can easily identify if I have enough yarn for each project! When I use the yarn I then pull out the inner core thread and use like that - leaving the card tube on so no animal hairs or crumbs become entwined as i work :)
I gave a three star rating because the yarn guide will not stay put! I have to hold it all the time or it just collapses then if I'm not watching it, the yarn starts to wind under the spool making a complete mess which is horrid to unravel! There is a little groove cut our of the plastic which is supposed to lock the yarn guide in position - but it doesn't work!
I contacted Housweety about this problem, they responded saying they were having a 'rest day' and would get back to me - 2 months ago - and I've still heard nothing!
Anyway - I am otherwise happy with it, so am gonna experiment with things like blue tac to keep the yarn guide n place.
on 28 April 2016
it does do the job (sort off), but i have found every time i wind a ball of wool a strand gets stuck in the cogs at least once
i find that it is best only winding small balls of wool as it cannot cope with large ones which is a bit annoying as i have to split big balls into smaller ones so more joins when knitting. if you try and wind a big ball then after a while the ball gets too big and once again the wool gets caught it the cog at the bottom of the gadget
the arm that you thread the wool through at the start of winding is supposed to stay up to feed the wool through but this keeps falling down even though i have locked it into place before i start winding.
the clamp works fine and once clamped onto the surface it stays put
on 17 February 2014
I've used this kind of winder before and wondered if it would be a bit flimsy as it was 30% cheaper than elsewhere. Worked perfectly fine though.