4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: Pretty Poison (Kindle Edition)
If you want to read something sexy and pass the time this is the book for you. With a romantic twist and a family that is quite strange in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Pretty Poison (Kindle Edition)
I have read this book so many times I've lost count! Pretty Poison is an excellent tale, and very well written..

I found the characters well-rounded and their motivations understandable for the most part. The only thing I struggle to understand is Wade's dismissive treatment of Noah at the beginning, which seemed to serve little purpose. However, the rest of the story moves on and that day or so becomes less important. The characters' reactions to events were realistic and I think the human and shifter politics were well done; not that there was much of it in the book, just that the explanations worked well.

One of the best elements of this book, I think, is that the characters seem to be rational beings. There are so many shifter stories with ridiculous over-the-top characters who react in such an extreme way that it's great to finally read one where I can think 'yeah, I might have done that'. No insta-love. No 'I am alpha, everybody bow down'. I liked that Wade's motivations had absolutely nothing to do with Noah as an individual (it sucks for Noah, but makes the story so much more believable), but it did mean that Wade was willng to make Noah's life a misery if the mating didn't work out (biologically tied forever to somebody who could never offer more than just a warm body) or maybe he just hadn't thought that far ahead (I suspect this is the case).

I noticed one review where the dubcon element mentioned in the blurb is called into question. There is definitely dubcon, but the degree to which it should be considered as such is very much up to the reader. The dubcon happens once early on, where even though Noah didn't fight it, the fact that he didn't actually have a choice means that it could not possibly be consensual. It is impossible to consent where a choice doesn't exist, regardless of how turned on you feel. Noah even acknowledges this, and that is one of the strongest points of the story because most stories tend to gloss over the element of force, as though the one who has been forced is immune to the concept. Personally, I think the whole dubcon element was well done - it's definitely dubcon, not out-and-out rape - but I did find Wade's lack of acknowledgement of the position he put Noah in a bit worrying when they did get round to discussing their issues, but I think it was probably just not stated strongly enough. If the argument had gone just a little bit further, this review would have been 5*.

The ending was excellent - HEA, but not too saccharine. There is potential for more stories to be tacked on (maybe relating to another pack who has seen events unfold in Wade's pack, or a stray) but it's a great ending for a one-off story too. I suspect it will remain a one-off, but I'd buy a sequel without even reading the blurb.

This book certainly hits the spot and I definitely recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun shifter romance, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Pretty Poison (Kindle Edition)
This was a great shifter romance which I thoroughly enjoyed. The alpha shifter was powerful and intimidating, having to learn how to adapt to someone who was unused to his culture. And Noah was no pushover, yet smart enough to know when to compromise for the safety of his family. There are some things about the shifter culture that I was unclear about and would have loved to understand in more detail (for instance the having children bit). Hope for more in this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wolfy love, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Pretty Poison (Kindle Edition)
Pretty hot and an enjoyable read ;)
starts sexy and gets sweet...
I will definitely be trying more of this author's writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about the dubcon that the blurb refers to, but this is an excellent, non-stereotypical shifter tale., 4 Jan 2014
ROROBLU'S MUM "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pretty Poison (Kindle Edition)
This is an excellent tale that drew me in so much that I read it in one go. In some ways, it is a typical shifter tale with an extremely alpha pack-leader, but what I liked is that it wasn't all about the 'call' that shifters are so ruled by, and that emotions, needs and wants came into it too. Also, unlike in most shifter tales, there wasn't the bog-standard, 'shift and all wounds/damage will be healed'.

Wade, alpha of the pack from which Noah's family fled following his accident, is a new-thinker type of guy, but based on their past experiences, Noah's family thinks he'll be in danger in his new pack. Noah ends up having to mate with Wade due to a pact between their families, whereby the pack leader would mate with a child of Noah's family, but as his sister fled to marry a human, Noah is to be the sacrificial lamb.

The sex is hot and frequent, but I didn't get the dubcon element that the blurb refers to. I read many shifter/were/vampire/paranormal tales and an alpha is always dominant, and most of the time, the sex is hot, hard and heavy, overruling everything else - which was pretty much the case here. I did like that Wade realised that Noah was a virgin and that he did try to make things easier on him, but that at the same time, he was driven to take he who was rightfully his. Had the author written the tale any other way, Wade would have come across as too soft and non-alpha, which would have spoiled the tale - and, Noah didn't reject him or object.

I liked that Noah didn't get miraculously cured by being forced to shift, but I did like that he started to embrace and appreciate his inner wolf, and that his life changed for the better in every single way, after mating with Wade. Noah was a bit stubborn, though, which did make for some conflict, but it was realistic and relevant.

Best of all, this tale ends in the start of a HEA, one that I appreciated, but some traditionalists may not appreciate it. I can't say more without spoiling the tale, but let's just say the leads end up talking about 'non-trad role reversal' and a future with white picket fences et al.

This is a 5* Keeper of a tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kari at her best, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: Pretty Poison (Kindle Edition)
Loved this. I have favourites of kari gregg- I Omega, Collared and this reminds me of those. I especially like the fact is a story about a shifter who is disabled and the trials he faced. I love the fact his strong alpha wants him any way ( so sue me I like romance). When you have a favourite author it's always great to get a new book and have it fulfill the promise of a really good read. More please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Pretty Poison (Kindle Edition)
I found this book to be so different to other wolve books I've read I loved it I wanted more though lol

4.0 out of 5 stars Love shines through, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Pretty Poison (Kindle Edition)
Noah and Wades relationship didn't have a traditional start, but their attraction to each other grew. They overcame distrust on both sides, Noah 's family and Wade 's pack.

But they make it. It's a shifter love story.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved this book, 17 Dec 2013
This review is from: Pretty Poison (Kindle Edition)
really enjoyed this book. the characters were great and loved it nearly as much as i omega ,then again love most books from this author .have a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars PRETTY POISON, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Pretty Poison (Kindle Edition)
I've read so many books about shifters but this one was totally different. Loved it!! Wish it wad a series.

Pretty Poison