on 16 May 2013
It has been difficult to find the right books for an early reader, my grandson,6, has a higher reading age, but is still 6, so older books don't appeal. This provides stimulating reading, and wide appeal, hearing him chuckling to himself as he reads is very special. Techy games etc have their place, but loving a good book is an important skill. My daughter, an English teacher, tells me these books are great for up to 12/13 years as well. Great stuff!
This is exactly like all the other Tom Gates books in the series, and none the worse for that. Light on text, heavy on illustration and with lots of blank spaces, this is an easy, unchallenging read about the life of a boy who really hasn't got much to worry about except where his next caramel wafer is coming from. In this volume, Tom goes on an activity holiday with his school. Nothing much happens, which is exactly why Tom Gates is so appealing to so many readers, because his life is so much like any child who has a reasonably normal existence. There are a few amusing moments, and lots of silly jokes and daft ideas that make it fun to read.

These books are a huge hit with every child I've introduced them to, and their popularity in our school is as high as Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I rate them more than Wimpy Kid, possibly because Tom Gates is English, and the humour translates better (to me), and Tom is a much more likeable character than Greg in Wimpy Kid.

It is a delight to be able to recommend a book that I know so many children enjoy.
on 7 May 2013
An other great book to carry on the series. I pre-ordered this book for my 9yr old daughter and it arrived on the day of release, vey efficient. My daughter was over the moon to be the first in her class to have this book.
And it lived up to expectations, she read ot in 3 days and is already maoning that she needs to wait at least another year for further Tom Gates books.
on 8 September 2013
Hi I'm 10 years old and I read books galore. Review:
Great book - books to read, they made sense even tho I didn't start on the first book, there are lots of funny characters like Tom (main character). He is funny because he has a sister called Delia who he plays jokes on, and there is a boy at Tom's school called Marcus and Tom draws funny pictures of him. I am not really a fan of books that don't have pictures in so this book is good because it has comic pictures. The thing that it reminded me of was Jeff Kinney who wrote the books Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I have not read all of the books yet but they look great. =)
on 23 June 2013
Well, after a long wait.... I don't mean the book arriving, just the published date,my son was very , very pleased to get the next instalment of the Tom Gates books. Another brilliant read. Well packed, and as good as all the other Tom Gates Books.. My son age 7 LOVES them, !
on 22 June 2013
I buy these books for my Grandchildren to encourage them to read ,it must be working as I am asked if i can buy a different one every month which i do willingly,they must have quite a collection.
on 10 April 2013
All the Tom Gates books are 'absolutely fantastic' at inspiring reluctant boys to read!
The children in my class have loved the whole series!
on 10 June 2013
I got this book for my 9 year old son who is a computer fan and is reluctant to read books. There are lots of illustrations in it so I thought it would help to get him interested. My idea worked and he really enjoyed it and now reads every bedtime. Thanks Tom Gates. Would recommend.
on 5 September 2013
I bought this for my daughter originally to get her into reading more. It worked. She now reads any books that interest her and has read all the Tom Gates book. We are currently waiting on the release of the latest book which I will save for xmas.

I recommend these books as they are written as though by a child & have the humour to match.
on 7 June 2013
My ten year old son loves these books. He isnt the best of readers but finds these easy to read without being to young for him. Would recommend. The text is broken up by small pictures / cartoon doodles, which i think helps to make it easy to read.