Platform: PC Download|Change
Price:£38.73 - £40.99

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 March 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Up until recently I’ve only really used Adobe Premiere for my video editing needs, but I’ve found it to be consistently awful for many reasons, notably it is awkward, slow and unstable. In fact I’ve never created a video with Premiere without at least one major crash occurring. So, after another unsuccessful trial of the Creative Cloud version of Premiere I turned to Cyberlink’s PowerDirector as an alternative. I have to admit that I did not have high hopes. To my surprise, PowerDirector is, in fact, rather good. Not perfect, as I’ll get into, but good enough to put Premiere in the bin where it belongs.

So, what does PowerDirector get right? Well after 4 weeks of use, I would have said it has never crashed, but then it blotted its copy book with a single, minor crash. By comparison I’ve lost hours and hours of work using Premiere because of its propensity to bomb out and even junk projects.

Secondly, it has a nice, rich feature-set with a good mix of pre-set effects and user customisable transitions. The choice of title fonts and the movements you can apply to them is quite impressive. Overall PowerDirector offers a great variety of easily accessible visual effects for those who don’t want to have to learn all the bells and whistles of an application to get quite complex looking results.

The media formats supported for input is extensive and for output is acceptable. I’ve had no issues importing anything into the program.

On to the not so good stuff. Remember I said the software hardly crashes? Well, it does have some other annoying side effects when running, namely it appears to take full and exclusive control of the graphics card’s driver, preventing other applications (e.g. Photoshop, VLC) from running or functioning properly. This could be down to the driver being a little weird (I have an ATI mobile graphics card), but I have never experienced anything similar anywhere else.

Another problem is that, even though this is the Ultra version, it is a little too general public in the way it handles video. You can’t specify non-standard dimensions for video output and it if you try to import a clip that is neither 4:3 nor 16:9 it will scale it rather than let you have it with empty borders.

I can’t believe that this is version 12 of PowerDirector because it feels much more like a well debugged version 1 or 2 rather than something that’s waved goodbye to its 10th generation. The user interface is surprisingly good in some places and woefully inadequate in others and the inconsistencies really rankle. Scaling a video clip, for example, is a pain. For a start there are two different places where you can modify the scale (three, if you count the import) and neither are satisfying. One allows you to apply a uniform scale, but only manually so it is difficult to scale everything the same way, the other allows you to type in scale values, but you need to enter the X and Y scales separately each time. Since I have needed to rescale my clips because PowerDirector won’t import a video without stretching it this has badly impacted my productivity. If all the little niggles like this one (and there are quite a few) were to be corrected, then PowerDirector would be awesomely good. As it stands it has great potential, but makes you work hard to extract that potential.

So, it’s not great, but it is GOOD, especially compared to more expensive alternatives and I would happily recommend you try it (as with most software, a trial version can be downloaded from the publisher’s website).
on 11 December 2014
Note this applies to version 12. A comprehensive suite of video editing software with (too?) many features for most people. The reason for giving this product 3 stars is that it did not work out of the box with a bog standard PC ( Windows 8.1, Intel i5 core 8Gb RAM etc) the software could not produce any type of output file. Fixes, suggested by CyberLink, that drivers etc were not up to date, made no difference, but wasted a lot of time when I needed to produce a video to a deadline. Finally CyberLink issued a patch that worked and I've had no problems since. Lets hope that v13 includes this fix.
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Hands up. I'm no professional...nor even semi-professional. At best I'm an amateur in this arena but I have used one or two of the software products that are out there (with varying degrees of success). So how does PowerDirector compare ? Well I have to say that it's difficult to find fault. The layout feels excellent....the easy editor is relatively, well, easy to get to grips with. That said I do sometimes wonder if the various software developers working in this field are pushing the boundaries to far for the likes of me. Do occasional dabblers really need all the advances laid before us ? Perhaps I crave the simple life....long for the days of cine films when pretty much all you could do was cut out the occasional bit of dodgy footage. I'm wittering. So my bottom line is that if you're gung ho for the most sophisticated software out there then this is for you.....if you're a novice I'd advise that you save yourself some money and go for an earlier iteration at a, hopefully, knockdown price.
on 25 February 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a previous PowerDirector user I must say I am impressed with this package. PD10 bears a lot of similarities and older users should also feel right at home. Installation was simple and relatively quick. Personally the main draw for me were the new 3D and 4K options. This time we have 'real' 3D as used on a 3D tv, and it works well. This will of course at least double your hard-drive usage for a given length of video, and also rendering time. Personally I only mess about with small close-camera effects which are very short, but this software is undoubted capable of use for full-length videos as long as you have the PC to cope. Rendering times on my Win 7 SSD i7 16GB rig were acceptable.

I don't have any 4K native equipment yet, but it was able to handle some timelapse clips I'd made (in another package), although it was noticeably slower than in 3D use. I'm sure this will become standard in all editing software within the year.

The rest of the package is full-featured and at least as good as anything under £100. Cyberlink have fixed some of the smaller annoyances of old versions and everything is a little bit quicker in terms of interface (again assuming you have upgraded your PC in the past few years).

A beginner may find this software a little overwhelming at first, but like all video-editing applications the functions and layout will be quite familiar to anyone using a mainstream package in the past five years or so.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 January 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Power Director 12 is the latest version of Cyberlink's video editing software. The company supplies a wide range of video, photo and audio editing software, competing with the numerous products in the Adobe Photoshop family of editing tools. It is currently pitched at around the same price as comparable Adobe products.

This is the `Ultra' version of the product - the starter in a range of three from Ultra, Ultimate and Ultimate Suite.

Supplied in the pack is a disc, activation code and an instruction booklet - this I found much more helpful than instructions in PDF format, saving time and paper for the user. System requirements are Windows XP and above, minimum 6GB memory for the full 3D editing facility, and 10 GB hard disk space for DVD production.

I loaded onto Windows 7 with no problems, and a free download version is supplied by Cyberlink.

The key features I noted are the multicamera editing tool - enabling up to four camera angles to be pieced together, and a host of useful editing tools such as picture-in-picture effects, motion blur. Most importantly for me was the user-friendliness of Powerdirector which enables good video editing to be carried out by learners and beginners like myself, but with a host of advanced features to suit the advanced user.
on 20 March 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been using the PowerDirector editing suites for a number of years now, though I skipped version 11 as it didn't really seem to offer me much additional functionality over version 10. With another year comes another refresh, with a bit of spit and polish added to the general user Interface. Whilst there is the usual broad palate of effects and filters to modify your movies with, what stood out most for me was the additional Windows 8 companion app. For those that use hybrid devices or swap between a desktop and a tablet, this will come in handy. However, it doesn't offer the full range of editing options as the main package and it isn't compatible with Windows 8 RT tablets. The installation of the full application is a little slow, but ultimately that's only something you need to do once. Whilst there may be more feature filled movie suites out there, in terms of its price range, this will give you an awful lot of mileage for your money.
CyberLink Power Director V12

I am evaluating this software on an Intel i5 based machine with 16 Gb of RAM, an SSD disk for software and a 2 TB conventional hard drive for data storage.

What is it?

This is Cyberlinks comprehensive video editing and publishing software.

In the box.

The box contains two DVD’s. The first one is the actual program and the second is a set of extras. There is also a printed manual and instructions how to download a digital version in case you don’t have a DVD drive.

This is very simple, it auto boots and apart from inputting the serial number there is not much the user has to do.

User screens.

I have used version of this software before so am familiar with It’s layout.
The software has two modes – easy editing and full editing. Obviously the easy editing screen is a cut down version of the full main software and allows the user to quick basic video editing.

The full editing screen opens an arsenal of tools that cater for just about everything you could ever want in a video editing package.
The main workflow is logical – Capture, Edit, Produce and create disk. Each option opens a series of sub menus allowing your video to be manipulated in just about every way imaginable. The software also includes a simple but capable wave editor to edit sound track and sound effects. It’s everything most people will ever need. A useful addition to this version is the ability to have multi camera inputs and do screen in screen productions. I have found this very useful for the type of instruction videos I produce. Just about every effect you could ever want is here and the slow motion function works very well.
The produce menu allows the user to set up the output for the video and the quality. It’s all pretty straight forward and there are lots of formats there including those for social media upload.

The create disk menu allows the creation of a video disk and here you can add cinematic title effects, transitions and overlays. There is a lot her and the user should be able to produce a polished end product using all the tools.

Extras.

Cyberlink include lots of extras from title fonts to back grounds. To be honest there is not much more you will need to produce nice video output.

Stability.

I have read other reviews where this software has been unstable. I have not found this at all even when loading very large clips and multi camera effects. What it does do is slow down under the sheer volume of data. I expect my machine with its SSD drive helps keep the software working in a stable manor as it is fast. I can see this being a problem when using a conventional hard drive and slower machine. This is not a criticism of Cyberlink, any video editing software needs a lot of fast horse power and these programs will be unstable if there are bottle necks. SSD drive are now quite inexpensive and easy to fit and I think most serious video makers will use one to run video and graphics editing software these days.

Overall.

This is a very comprehensive suite that will take the beginner time, practice and patience to master. Everything is here to enable high quality videos to be produced but it will take time and push your machine to its limits as video software really needs a lot of processing power
This is a comprehensive package and is really aimed at the experienced video maker. There is the easy screen but you will only be using a fraction of the power available. If you have the need, inclination and time to put into this package along with a reasonable powerful machine you will be rewarded.
IF you are new to video editing I would suggest you start with something simpler like the editor built into Window 7 just to get a feel for what can be done before you attempt to emulate Steven Spielberg. All video editing no matter what software is time consuming.
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Premier Elements is my standard editor, these days, but I've tried a number of others including PowerDirector 11 Ultra.

This new version offers some worthwhile enhancements but also some frustrations. Cyberlink really needs to focus on the detail before adding further features to the next version.

It's a reasonably straightforward package for beginners while offering sophisticated features for more-advanced users. There are enhancements for all and certainly PowerDirector seems more feature-rich than Premier Elements, and that's saying something. It's fast too, for both previewing and rendering.

Version 12 installed easily enough and I had no significant problems running the software. As with version 11, I liked the interface and found it generally easy to use, if clunky in places. Timely, effective hand-holds pop up - very useful. You can easily display all the hotkeys and modify them to suit your needs.

The new effects are quite useful rather than gimmicky: Lens Flare, Water Reflection, Magnifier and Tilt-shift, the last of those blurring most of the picture and leaving just a small area of sharp focus.

There's support for combining footage from up to four cameras with MultiCam Designer but I didn't have the opportunity to try it. If multi-camera support is important to you, that alone could be a reason for buying PowerDirector.

With version 11, I tried ripple editing but found it awkward to use. I usually gave up and backed out to where I started. Version 12 doesn't seem to have done much to improve things. That's just one example of what I mean about focussing on the details.

I didn't use PowerDirector 12 for long enough to realise its full potential but, overall, certainly wouldn't advise against buying it. If you like the sound of it, download the trial version and give it a good thrashing before handing over your money.
on 21 January 2014
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
One of the things that should be included with any software pack is a printed manual I know we need to think of the environment but its no good trying to print out large manuals from pdf files on the disc, it cost too much for cartridges. Cyberlink always give you the printed manual and you get a 254 page manual with this pack.

The activation is pretty straight forward just type in the serial number and it activates over the net, you also get a free download version of the software too and a free mobile tablet version with the enclosed coupon which gives you simple instructions on how to download it. The program now boots up much faster than the previous version I noticed as it used to take quite a while am pleased to say and there are three boot up modes "Easy", Slideshow and Pro mode.

New features in this 64 bit version is the integration of Cyberlinks Audio director which has 5.1 surround sound support with panning and there's a Theme designer for graphical picture-in-picture effects and multicam designer. I like the added audio track-based synchronisation feature as for me I have had many issues with synchronisation in the past especially with working with large video files and HD.

I still haven't been able to use the chroma key to great effect yet I think it needs an auto fix mode like with picture edits. It would be nice to be able to add more backgrounds into videos when doing chroma keying and be able to add more then one effect when working with various picture in picture effects. The clip on clip feature is good where you can use a small section of video you want to add in the main clip without having to split it first.

The program still stalls a bit when using MTS video files downloaded from a cam recorder for instance though you could scale them down a bit first. One of the things I like about this program is you can download more video effects, animations etc to use in your project. These are all free from the cyberlink website which you do have to sign up for but I have found many useful add ons from there as the site is constantly updating all the time. If you are new to video editing there is plenty of tutors on you tube and some on the Cyberlink site.

I do have other video editing packages which I use for my projects which are mainly music related being a musician but Cyberlink is the best for me still out of the three.
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Another year another incarnation and we are now into version 12. I was curious as to whether Cyberlink would be able to pack any more features into this product at this price point and if it would be a worthwhile upgrade from the previous version. I have also had previous versions in the past, occasionally bugs would rear their head when the products had just been released but to give them credit, Cyberlink do push out updates on a regular basis.

Installation was on a Windows 7 partition on a Macbook Pro with a i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB memory 1TB hard disc. I have run directly from the Windows partition and also through Parallels though this slowed it down a little.

Check the system requirements, to get the best out of this product you will need a fairly up to date PC, it is resource hungry so if your PC borders on the minimum or is just above the minimum you might struggle to get it to work properly.

To put this into perspective, this product, the Ultra version is actually only one up from the base product. I must admit I get a little annoyed with Cyberlink for doing this. There are five versions, starting with Deluxe, Ultra, Ultimate, Ultimate Suite and Directors Suite. When you compare the differences between the products you will see that the last two are actually a compilation of a number of products, most of which you will not need.

Steer clear of the base product the Deluxe version as it has very limited features. The Ultimate version only actually gives you a few extra `premium' effects' and no extra functionality. Not worth it in my opinion, so this product sits just about right.

Unfortunately you may well get pop-ups informing you that you have the opportunity to upgrade if you are willing to pay extra. Switch the reminders off.

As to the product, it has a number of new features that are actually quite good.

The multi cam editing feature is quite novel. Having a family that all took video over Christmas on various devices we were able to put together a film from various angles and perspectives. Quite interesting to see the same thing happening from four different view points.

The lens flare and the magnifier effect are actually quite good. Amazingly, well not quite, they also cater for 4K HD and for those of you who can afford a 4K TV this might leave you jumping for joy. Personally I still think it is a headline grabbing feature rather than being practical.

There is even motion blur and particle effects and an animated theme designer. Converting video into 3D is carried over from the last version and to be honest it was always a bit hit and miss, but can be fun.

Content-aware editing leaves a little to be desired and is not always successful but the TrueTheatre enhancement can be very good. It might make the picture a little better but if your film is rubbish it won't magically make it into a masterpiece.

Once completed it can output the finished article to many formats, but be warned. Last years version claimed it could do this into `every' format, it couldn't and so the claims on the box are now more in keeping with what it can actually do.

Finally it claims to render up to 40% faster, wow that is a big statement. It's a bit like the promises that we get about our broadband speeds. So let's put it into context, you will need the latest PC with the latest processor and latest graphics card to get these kind of percentages if ever. Take the statement with a pinch of salt, it is a little faster perhaps, but we are not talking Usain Bolt here.

I like the fact that this product has so much to offer in terms of features and it really is what can only be described as feature rich. It is also good value at this price. However for all of the bells and whistles I still prefer the simplicity and ease of use of Premier Elements.

This doesn't detract from this product being good value. It is not perfect, but the extra features are worth the upgrade from the previous version. Adobe would be wise to a take a leaf out of their book, the Elements upgrade offered very little extra. Cyberlink offer a lot more. A worthy successor.