5.0 out of 5 stars Live Kefir grains - a successful experiment
Published 8 months ago by ljssbl

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed. ..
It taste too alcoholic for my taste. I tried another farm that were selling it and the mixes of lives kefir cultures (around 100 differents strains) give a great taste just like my grand-ma use to do. I can make nice yogurt, fromage frais and soured cream as well as the drink.
Published 2 months ago by Helen Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars Live Kefir grains - a successful experiment, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Happy Kombucha Mixed live Kefir pack (Personal Care)
The first time I came across Kefir was in December when researching alternative therapies to suggest to a friend. I concluded that it was exactly what was needed and that if it didn't prove as beneficial as its exponents claim it certainly wouldn't do any harm, if only I knew where to get some. Finding it on Amazon, when stocking up for Santa, I ordered it straight away. Then began to worry that my house might be too cool at this time of year since it is like an ice-box and all my research told me that Kefir likes warmth. However, before I'd even had time to finish that second thought the product had already arrived. Conclusion - delivery was really fast.

Each 20g of grains was tightly packed into a tiny plastic bag not a lot bigger than my thumb and double wrapped against leakage in a second plastic bag labeled with the instruction 'Please check your email for instructions'. I did, there weren't any. However, in truth, I didn't really expect there to be since an instruction sheet was enclosed within the outer wrapping that had provided protection in transit. Conclusion - the grains were well packaged.

What with the Christmas rush and because I had convinced myself that my cool temperatures would bring about utter failure I didn't do anything with the grains for a couple of days. Then guilt (they are living after all) got the better of me and I cleaned out a couple of jars. Prising the contents out of the plastic bags I was pleased to see that they looked exactly as the images on the website had led me to believe they would. Conclusion - what you see is what you get.

For the first culture with the water grains I used bottled spring water, since there is chlorine in our tap water and I hadn't boiled any in advance; unrefined sugar; lemon, unsulphured dried fruit and bi-carb. Concerned that the house is too cold for the milk grains to culture a whole litre in 24/48hrs I just covered them with a cupful of shop bought homegenised jersey milk. Then I placed the jars in the warmest corner of my warmest room and crossed my fingers. On taking a peek the next morning I was totally dumbfounded to see the milk had turned to the consistency of a thick greek yogurt whilst the water had gone from a transparent amber to opaque with masses of bubbles lifting the hydrated fruit to the surface. And so it has been with a fresh culture every day, day & a half since (for the uninitiated, where it states in the product description that 'This pack contains [enough] to enable you be able brew up to a litre of each type of Kefir.' this should be qualified with the addendum 'time after time' since Kefir grains may have an indefinite life span). Well every day until a couple of days ago. That day nothing had happened and I feared that all had gone as anticipated and I had succeeded in killing the grains off. But leaving them an extra day proved to be all that was needed. Though that batch of Water Kefir did go very syrupy, thicker than runny honey, and I ended up slinging it on the compost heap. Today everything was back to normal, in fact the Milk Kefir was the thickest it has been so far - so thick I could stand a spoon up in it!! Conclusion - the grains were/are extremely healthy and could, potentially, go on forever.

In my research I was directed to 'the expert on kefir culturing' at users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html (other websites are available, lol). A long time user, Dom has vast experience which he offers to his readers in easy to follow sections, explaining everything in great detail. The bit I was most grateful to read at this point was his explanation of the issue of metal and Kefir grains since the only sieves I have are steel. From my reading on this and other sites I expected the flavour of the Kefir to make my eyes cross on first taste but was pleasantly surprised. I have had sharper tasting natural yogurts. By way of experiment I decanted the first culture of milk kefir into a lidded container and left it on the worktop. Weeks later it is still there and doing very well both in looks and in taste. The flavour of the Water Kefir was even more of a surprise and one that I wasn't at first sure was pleasant with its tangy fizzy bubbles but I took another sip, then a third and am now looking forward to a glassful for breakfast every day. I have also added some of the strained Water Kefir to Pomegranate juice to produce a secondary fermentation that has proved delicious. Conclusion - if, like me, you haven't tried Kefir before it is worth taking the plunge and giving it a go. If you've used cultures rather than live grains, again and for a one off initial outlay, these are well worth making the change. If you're used to culturing live Kefir but need to restock your grains after a disaster, there is nothing wrong with these as far as my limited experience can tell.

I am still not using a full litre of milk with the milk grains but I have increased the amount I am using to produce enough for a serving adequate to my needs each day. Come spring when I have plenty to spare I intend to experiment with other milks - coconut, dry powdered, goats and maybe a few others. Then, when I have more Kefir than I can eat in a day, I shall try some of the recipes I came across on the web and with grain storage (freezing and dehydrating) against future disaster. Because I am using unrefined sugar the colour of the water grains is changing and they are taking on an amber hue. When I have water grains to spare I shall try those in different liquids too. Given the correct conditions, or so I have read, the grains should double in quantity every day or so. Mine haven't but, given that they are kept very cool, who can blame them. They are replicating, just very slowly. Conclusion - I'll soon have enough to pass on to my friend to help with his health problems - which is where we came in ;-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed. .., 15 July 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Use High Fat Milk, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Happy Kombucha Mixed live Kefir pack (Personal Care)
Very happy, working cultures. Feeling more energy and vibrant. Though I am trying a high alcohol beverage with water Kefir may work....but still fermenting after 3 days?

5.0 out of 5 stars both worked great the first time, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Happy Kombucha Mixed live Kefir pack (Personal Care)
both worked great the first time. Love the water kefir! Not quite sure what to do with the milk kefir yet... After just a few days our grains had more than doubled in size so very very good value :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Kombucha, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Happy Kombucha Mixed live Kefir pack (Personal Care)
I have just started using this and making it is very simple as per the instructions given! I have only been taking it for 2 weeks now so waiting to see the effects but overall im happy with my purchase

Happy Kombucha Mixed live Kefir pack