3.7 out of 5 stars1,973

on 23 November 2007
A fast-paced and explosive thriller about a subject that really matters. It's quite a feat to twist together a daring and unpredictible plot with a real insight into the way the drug industry works. I found it not only more exciting than 'The Constant Gardener', but more convincing too. There's a truly amazing twist towards the end, and I defy anyone to guess it.
on 4 November 2008
Loved this book, normally I read crime fiction such as Jeffrey Deaver but this was up there with the best thrillers I have ever read. Loads of plot twists, action, amazing characters and really thought provoking. I was just disappointed it had to end, still wanted to know more about the characters. A thoroughly good read and would make an amazing film.
on 5 March 2008
Wow! Started to read at 19.00 and finished at 00.10. Really couldn't put it down. Lots of gripping twists, then a twist on the twist. In the end Max could trust no one, and maybe the bad guys would win. Read it to find out. Me, I'm waiting for the film.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 April 2014
This book captivates you from the beginning with a cracking opening chapter, then splits into two storylines in different time-frames which build on the intrigue, before they converge to devastating effect for the exciting denouemont. The African back-story, sense-of-place, and central plot line regarding medical research into a cure for malaria are written in convincing detail that make the whole scenario very believable. Best book I have read in a long time.
on 17 October 2015
I really quite enjoyed this book. I have never read anything by this author before so took a punt and requested a copy via the publisher, Sphere an imprint of Little, Brown Book Group, and NetGalley. Now it does purport to be “the most addictive, page-turning novel of the year” and "the most gripping thriller you'll ever read" and although I would disagree with this as I have read a few books which are better, I was entertained by this novel and gripped from start to finish. I admit that it is a little OTT at times but books aren’t always supposed to be believable and sometimes it’s nice to just go along with it and enjoy the ride!

The storyline has a few threads to it and once you get your head around them, everything slots into place. The main themes are malaria and the hunt for Erica and in amongst all that is a glimpse into Erica’s past. I did particularly like the entries from Erica’s diary when she was in Africa and feel this could have made a pretty good novel in itself albeit rather disturbing. The pace is pretty relentless from start to finish with some twists, turns and surprises along the way.

The characters are an interesting bunch of people some more likeable than others but all are well described and believable … well mostly … that is where the OTT comes in as Max seems to go from a normal bloke to a superhero and what he does goes slightly beyond the realms of possibility but don’t let that put you off reading this, like I said … just shake your head and go along for the ride.
on 29 May 2014
This was a complex thriller that switches from 1992 Africa to present day Holland.
During 1992 scientists where held captive/ hostage in Africa. The survives of this ordeal attend a conference in Holland. However the power of money and revenge materialise with devastating consequences.
Excellent plot with detailed characters.
I didn't like the constant switching from Africa to Holland.
For me it wasn't the most gripping thriller.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 2014
Bite: The most gripping thriller you will ever read.

Some claim there to live up to. Of course if you've read it or you've got some idea of the plot, the above references the plot as much as making a claim about the readability of this novel. However the challenge is there. Is it the most gripping novel you'll ever read? We should know!

Actually, it's a well written thriller twisting some interesting characters into a plot of potentially world threatening danger and incorporates many facets. There's the simple whodunit, there's the flawed good guy striving against the odds to save a fair maiden from the grip of the evil revenge seeker and there's the fight to contain a potential pandemic.

So there's a lot going on. It's well written and you ride along wanting to see how things develop and ultimately how things pan out.

But, finally, does this add up to the most gripping thriller you'll ever read? I can only say that for me, it wasn't. I can't fault it, I enjoyed it and reading It certainly wasn't time wasted. But no cigar. There are better (in my opinion, of course). However, the author Nick Louth without doubt does have a thrilling thriller (sorry) here and, despite the tongue in cheek claim in the title, it's really well worth a read.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 May 2015

It helps though if a book has been fun, and in this case it was…. fun in that it left me with the itch you get from books about insects, the scratch of the bite, the paranoia from the potential for illness. It reminded me a little of Robin Cooks Outbreak, it gave that same paranoid feeling. But the book then has another surprising edge, a criminal tale, a war zone, a tale of revenge and a tale of love twisted by time and circumstance. I’ve not read anything by this author before but have to admit to being very surprised by how much he packed into what on first glance appeared a simplistic thriller.

The timeslip element keeps the reader on tenterhooks throughout, pulling you along from one scene to the next, constantly wanting to jump forward or back in time. The characters are well drawn, there are no super heroes here, Max our main character barely escapes a scene without injury, and despite the billing Erica only really exists in the past, the female in the present has just as many skeletons in her closet, and Nick Louth teases them out like a pro.

This thriller is more than a poolside make weight, its deserves some reading. (in fact i wouldn’t read it anywhere you need to wear mossie spray)

on 11 August 2014
This should have been a great read - it had all the components, great story-line, interesting characters, got you thinking about the morals of powerful people and how greed influences the dismal fate of so many people. Basically the story is about an obscure form of maleria which originates in an isolated part of Africa and which is invariably deadly. An individual decides it might be a good idea to introduce this strain of maleria to the western world and proceeds to do so with devastating reasults.
So far so good I was really anticipating an un-put-downable read. But it didn't deliver. I didn't mind the switching over from one continent to another - in fact I quite enjoyed the tactic but the bad guy was too much of a mindless thug to be credible as was his ex girlfriend and I couldn't see the point of them being in the story at all. The author could have delivered more believable intrigue if he had kept these characters as believable as the doctors and scientists he portrayed so efficiently. MInd you, the doctor's daughter and the way her case was miraculously dealt with defied credibility too (I don't want to give away the storyline by going into too much detail here). Even the hero was unbelievable the way he escaped so many life threatening events while all around him lay the shattered ruins of everyone else's lives - it was all too fantastic and I couldn't take him seriously. Too much a James Bond teflon type but for a hero to work there must be credibility.
I stuck with it for the plot and the depiction of what happened in Africa but every other aspect of it failed to convince. Sorry, I really hate to give a negative review but this book irritated me because what should have been a really great read given the material at hand just became a very unconvincing story.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2014
NOT THE MOST GRIPPING THRILLER! Really disappointed in this book, but, it seems to follow the pattern of a lot of books lately in that it starts of gripping - four pages - then dies a long and lingering death. The dialogue between characters just does not seem natural and the sex scenes are not necessary, and the plot is jumping all over the place, and...
Anyway, gave up less than half-way through. If this is the '... most gripping thriller...' I'd hate to mistakenly buy the worst.