5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to fault
Published 4 months ago by Thomas Pots

3.0 out of 5 stars Would be good to see this rolled out on Macs!
Good software, leading in the field for obvious reasons but only warrants a three star rating from me because you have to run Windows to use it!

It's 2014 - where is the Mac version, Sage?
Published 3 months ago by M. Hoy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to fault, 27 Feb 2014
Thomas Pots "T Pots" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Instant by name, almost instant by nature. This package is aimed squarely at small business (employing up to 10 people), and provides all the basic accounting tools and features that you are likely to need. The competing product in this market is QuickBooks, but even if you are familiar with that, I would hesitate before spending the extra that it costs, because this Sage package is pretty good value for money. It provides features for looking after your finances, cash flow, VAT, tax return and payroll for up to 10 employees, though to keep this going you’ll need to buy an annual subscription. The only reason I can see for payroll being separate is to charge extra for it, though the tax rules for pay do change from time to time. The payroll package does offer a few useful things though: email support; HR advice; useful guides, plus news and even webinars.

Every accounts package does things its preferred way. If you are new to these packages, then it’ll be no problem. However, if you are used to how a different package works, you may find the going quite tough to start with. Even so, installing the software and expecting to do your annual business accounts is asking for trouble. Sage is aware of this, and provides 45 days of free support, and includes plenty of learning material to help you get started.

Installation is the same for all Sage packages that I have reviewed for Amazon. Insert CD, follow the prompts, and have that all-important licence key ready to enter. Setup is easy, though you’ll need to enter your company and financial information before you can get started with any accounting activities. For all that this package does, and it does a lot, the thing that pay dividends every year is its tax return feature, which takes the pain out of this annual nuisance.

Overall, this is an easy one to recommend. It feels very solid in use, have a clear user interface and controls, and reliably does what you think it's going to do. For all its help and guides, I would still invest in one of those handy printed guides to get the maximum out of this package. For a small business I would rate it as completely indispensable. It's more powerful and cheaper than Quickbooks, too. It's an extra pair of hands, and what small business doesn't need that?

I had the opportunity to review all the main Sage 2014 products recently here on Amazon, so please have a look at my reviews of those, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good package, 11 Feb 2014
Sussman "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you have a small business or just have the misfortune of having to do self-assessment for HM Revenue and Customs service, then you will need financial package that will help organise and codify your financial arrangements. For me this is a no brainer, as this Sage package will help you in this task. This is a product that is feature rich, with a good range of tools and good user interface.

There is a period of learning curve here, as with all applications – so you will need to invest a small amount time here. While we have had no issues on installing the application, it sad to say that people who bought this on line and then tried to register have had real issues. In conclusion this is good application that does what it is meant to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 16 Feb 2014
A. Kwabula (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent package that delivers on its promise of being easy for people like me who are not accountants. I have used the 2013 version and I find this one improved and more can be done. The interface is cleaner and not busy.

As a small business owner, I just need something that allows me to do among other the following: add Customers, edit customers, add Suppliers, Create Quotes and Invoices (and turning Quotes into Invoices), receive payment, refund customers, or write off a bad debt, add my products. I do not need a heavy-weight financial package that will overwhelm me. This software has accomplished all the above and more. I can easily open the list of customers, invoices or quotations and see a wealth of data on

There is still a small learning curve, if you are totally new to these Financial Packages. I have to admit that I had to see an Accountant to get a few tips (for free, he is an acquaintance of mine!) but since then I am fine. There is really much after the initial setup as you just print reports, create, print invoices or quotes, check how much money you have made and so on.

If you have a small business and you cannot afford an accountant, this should do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe, recognised by accountants and relatively easy to use, 7 Feb 2014
Mr. Stephen Redman (York England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
“Sage Instant Financial Package” is simply “Sage Instant Accounts” and “Sage Instant Payroll” in one package.

Instant accounts is by far the most recommended package for small businesses by accountants and so is the obvious choice. Whereas it is important to point out that it isn’t ideal for charities and almost no thought has gone into the differences between for profit/not for profit enterprises, this is still adaptable and by far the cheapest product in its pedigree.

Once you have set up a list of suppliers/customers and set their ledger codes the rest is straight forward. Enter any transaction and every posting necessary takes place in an instant.

The user interface is ‘traditional’ - it hasn’t changed much in the last decade – but it is understandable and business like. You wouldn’t expect a recommendation from an accountant if it was too modern would you?

Reporting is also rapid and clear. With trial balances, profit and loss accounts and variance reports just a click away it is possible to keep up to date with your business whenever you need to.

Instant Payroll is designed for a maximum of 10 employees, so is ideal for the small charity/enterprise, but could conceivably be too small for some companies who still find Instant Accounts their preferred method of recording transactions. Therefore you should check carefully how many people are likely to be on the payroll in the next year before buying this as a package.
If you need to render VAT, the returns are generated so simply it is a dream.

Without spending twice as much I am not aware of anything else that is as helpful as this package, and even then the more expensive packages are not as widely appreciated by your accountant!

Go on – get it bought!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product, 2 Feb 2014
jimmyreviewer1988 (england) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great piece of financial software and to be honest I am really surprised there are not more reviews here to back this up.

It is incredibly easy to install, it does exactly what it says and it is really easy to use and implement. It is great value, a well known brand, calculates the NI automatically and is great for audit.

This makes running your business so much easier, and I recommend it 100%.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth it., 15 May 2014
PureSymmetry (london) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I waited a long, long time before writing this review as i really wanted to give this software a good going over before posting a comment.

Although there is a slight learning curve to this, the fact remains that overall this software is the go-to package in my opinion for the small business owner. The fact remains that tax IS taxing and a complete pain in the posterior, this software makes the process as straightforward as it can be and also enables the small business owner to do essential book keeping tasks such as invoicing, tracking customers, etc.

I liked it and will continue to use it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Would be good to see this rolled out on Macs!, 24 April 2014
M. Hoy - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

It's 2014 - where is the Mac version, Sage?

2.0 out of 5 stars Internet connection required., 4 April 2014
C. C. Chivers "ccchivers" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As with 'Quickbooks' Sage requires an internet connection to be fully functional which, to me, defeats my aim. I want something that I can use at any time without the need to search for an internet connection.

It looks impressive, but I think I will stick with Excel for now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a contender, 20 Mar 2014
Ash (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For a long time, Sage has been the go-to market leader for book-keepers, office managers, small business owners and those starting down the road to accounting proper. This latest package maintains that lineage of excellence, and offers everything you could want in terms of keeping track of your company's business. However, it hasn't managed to keep up with some of the other packages like QuickBooks in terms of providing a complete suite of software which integrates seamlessly with your other software. If you have no experience of using software like this, Sage can be a little daunting at first. You'll likely find yourself looking up 'how to do XYZ' on Google at some point or another. But for balancing the books of a small firm this is still a great, cost effective package that is easily recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sage or Quickbooks?, 20 Mar 2014
Pardo (Kent) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having had a play with both Sage and Quickbooks I now need to make a decision which way to jump. My business is (sadly) relatively small, I do my VAT on a cash receipts basis rather than on invoice (very handy last year when one client went down owing me 20k and another took six months to pay another big invoice). I think, even after spending a fair bit of time with each of them, that my initial gut feel is right. Quickbooks is easier and simpler to use, if you are not a trained accountant. I don't employ a bookkeeper so I do all my own data entry and while there is a learning curve for both products, I found I was up to speed quicker on Quickbooks than Sage. Sage is still an excellent product and if you have more accounting/bookkeeping experience than I do it may be what you need, but for me, I'd say go with Quickbooks.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sage Instant Financial Package 2014 (PC)
Sage Instant Financial Package 2014 (PC) by Sage UK Ltd (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)
149.85