5.0 out of 5 stars Far the best album I've heard in the last decade!
Published 1 month ago by Dzsuba

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
A bit disappointing as I really like Matt's playing and singing. The production on this disc does not match his previous release, and the material lacks some of the originality. It's basically a bit too 12 bar for me.
Published 11 days ago by VanZapp

5.0 out of 5 stars Far the best album I've heard in the last decade!, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Far As I Can See (Audio CD)
I've been a Matt Schofield fan since I've bought the album "Ear To The Ground" in a London shop not knowing him before. I fell in love with his guitar playing and tone, the freshness he brought into modern blues music. Since then I've purchased all of his albums. His latest release "Far As I Can See" is a brillinat album in every way. I must say it is one of the best blues albums of all time. I can't stop listening to it. It is so solid. As you can expect you can hear brilliant and massive guitar tones on the album that are powerful, yet round. His guitar playing is over the top. The band includes Jonny Henderson on organ and piano, long mate of Matt. On drums you can hear Jordan John from Toronto, Canada. His playing is very accurate, solid and enjoyable. A wellcome addition to the trio line up is Carl Stanbridge on bass. Oh man! Those grooving bass lines! You won't be disappointed. There are also special guests, including James Morton, Ruth Hammond, Gary Alsebrook on horns, Denny Ilett on guitar on Oakville Shuffle and Simon Law as backing vocals on From Far Away and Clean Break. Simon also produced, recorded and engineered the album. He put the band's live aproach and feeling onto CD.
We have 11 tracks on the CD, from basic Jimmy Vaughan style blues to latin influenced funky-blues. 9 originals and 2 adaptations, Albert King's Breaking Up Somebody's Home and Neville Brothers' Yellow Moon. Despite the diversity in styles of these songs this album is solid as a rock.
Thanks to Simon Law for putting those huge guitar sounds down to the CD.
If you like modern, guitar driven blues, this CD is for you. You won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars So Cool, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Far As I Can See (Audio CD)
Okay, Matt's new album and it may be new label and new band, but with same ol' Johnny Henderson who is to the Hammond what Matt is to the Fender, it's business very much as usual.

Great band showcase, Oakville Shuffle and Matt takes the "safety" off on the epic Red Dragon, but every other song is a winner.

One thing's for sure, if you car's air-con is broke, or you don't have it - by this Cd and play, it's that cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars beyond excellence, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Far As I Can See (Audio CD)
I never thought he could top his two previous albums, but somehow this is by far better, and it is hard to find the superlatives for this. Soulful singing, stunning guitar work in many genres (slow, fast blues, rock, even some Hendrix type playing in the last song), and most of all really good songs. I actually played it the first time and could not help endlessly repeating it. Matt has produced one of the best guitar albums of the recent (years? decades? time will tell). In any case DON T MISS THIS, MUST HAVE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just gets Better, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Far As I Can See (Audio CD)
I think this is perfection. The guy has studied all the right cats and just does it so right. Great song writer and always picks one or two good covers. This thing smoulders - when it gest to the end you just have to put in on again. Best damn modern blues player. I just love every second of this album. "The day you Left" - just shy of 10 minutes is sublime. If you have any interest or affection for the blues - this is indispensable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues Scores again, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Far As I Can See (Audio CD)
While it is common to see albums decline in quality year after year with some artists that is never the truth when it comes to Matt Schofield. Each and every year he puts out a new CD it exceeds everyone's expectations. My personal favorites would be "Clean Break" and "Red Dragon" Matt's Tone, Feel, Chops, Vocals and intensity are top of the heap in this industry. Don't miss out on this fantastic collection of killer tunes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the decade!!!!!, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Far As I Can See (Audio CD)
A career defining album from Matt.
This album should be absolutely heaped with awards, it is the best album I have heard in the last 10 years.
Every single track is a gem, from Matts King cover Breaking Up Somebodys Home, to the fantastic instrumental Oakville Shuffle.Yellow Moon is a magnificent deep south, gumbo fest.Red Dragon, Hendrix drenched blues is a masterclass.This guy should be filling arena, s like Joe B, but then again, I love the intimate venues where one is at one with the artist.Alas I think this album will possibly send Matt into the stratosphere, good for him, he deseves it, but unfortunate for those who have seen him, and chatted with him over the years.
Just buy this album people and listen to a classic in the making.Never mind ear to the ground, its ear to the speaker!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars An object lesson in progressing but staying true to the spirit of the blues..., 17 Feb 2014
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Far As I Can See (Audio CD)
The opening track 'From far away' is pointer for the rest of this CD, with its modern, muscular funky backing and Matt's sinuous lead guitar on top (with its echoes of B.B. and Albert King) and then his confident vocals. Sure enough Matt covers Albert King's 'Breaking up somebody's home' but this isn't a slavish copy, with Matt definitely making the song his own - adding a jazzy twist but keeping the funky undertone. There is also a version of the old Neville Brothers song 'Yellow Moon' and again he keeps the spirit of the original but moves it on making it a guitar led latin-influenced funky rhumba - fabulous.

Since the 60s its been a conundrum for blues-based bands how to progress but keep the spirit of the blues, this record is an object lesson on how to achieve that difficult trick with Matt moving into jazzy Robben Ford territory with many tracks, such as the instrumental 'Oakville Shuffle' and the swinging 'Clean break'. However, there is also room for a basic (but beautifully-played) slow blues like 'The day you left' and a rolling 12-bar boogie like 'Tell me some lies'. Matt's guitar playing has definitely progressed adding the jazzy licks to his already mastered blues single string lead playing and keeping both the feeling and rhythmic drive. The final track 'Red Dragon' seems to incorporate all these elements in a Hendrix-influenced atmospheric blues which at 9.43 minutes really gives Matt a chance to stretch out with his solo. However, this isn't just Matt Schofield - the band add massively to this record's success, with Jonny Henderson's organ really prominent throughout and the rhythm section of drummer Jordan John and bass player Carl Stanbridge backing them up perfectly and enhancing every solo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Matt And The Band Are Pushing On!, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Far As I Can See (Audio CD)
I am an avid Matt Schofield fan and have all of his previous albums and, in my humble opinion, "Far As I Can See" is a belter! I'm writing this review on release day and it dropped through my letterbox this morning so I've only had chance to play it twice and I love it already. There are touches of everything in here from Albert Collins to Jimi Hendrix via Chuck Berry. Jonny Henderson's organ is prominent and brilliant throughout and the rhythm section of drummer Jordan John and bassist Carl Stanbridge are rock solid. Add to all this a smattering of horns and you've got a fantastic album. I'm a bit fed up with Matt and the band always being compared to others - particularly Robben Ford, they are their own men - this album has 11 tracks and 9 of them were written by Matt and other band members.... they are leaders, not followers. It's hard to believe that I got the original Matt Schofield Trio to play a gig in our little village hall in Leicestershire about 6 years ago - they deserve world acclaim and I sincerely hope that they achieve it soon. Don't hesitate, buy this album and be blown away!

5.0 out of 5 stars matt, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Far As I Can See (Audio CD)
another good one from matt to listen to and wait and see if is neck one will be even better

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 5 April 2014

ARRAY(0xa3190528)

Far As I Can See
Far As I Can See by Matt Schofield (Audio CD - 2014)