5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing and saved my business!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:57 Mins
Published 8 months ago by Andy

I've had this up and running for 5 days now.
It's maybe a 3-4 star for me, couldn't decide. I do like the idea but it could be improved.
I bought this partly for security to watch my property when I'm out and partly to monitor pets and chose this cam for the free cloud recording option and ease/speed (supposedly) of set up.

Set up
- Firstly I...
Published 3 months ago by ariannesurrey

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing and saved my business!, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Y-cam HomeMonitor HD - Wi-Fi Wireless Video Monitoring Camera with Free Online Cloud Recording (Electronics)
Length:: 0:57 Mins

I purchased two of these cameras after my business was burgled 2 weeks ago. I was sat watching TV at home when I received an alert email to my mobile of movement in my office (I have set my phone to sound an alarm if an email from the camera comes in). I immediately viewed the camera and was horrified to see live footage of another burglar ransacking my office and stealing IT equipment. I have uploaded this video and feel free to view it!

I immediately dialled 999 and within minutes my business was surrounded, the burglar was arrested and the stolen items recovered. The recorded footage was more than enough for the police to charge the perpetrator and he is now languishing in prison. If it were not for this camera, I am sure that I would not have known about the break in until I arrived at work to find everything gone. In my opinion, these is the best security camera, with excellent image quality via mobile or computer - faultless and so easy to set up. I have used other devices and they were no where near as good. 5 STARS!!!!!!!!!!

An Article was published in the national press about it : [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly easy to use for the non techie home user - but not as good quality picture as expected, 11 July 2014
I've had this up and running for 5 days now.

Set up
- Firstly I couldn't work out how to change from the 2 pin to the 3 pin plug - why isn't this just attached for units sold in UK... I had to google it and watch a video on youtube to work out the 2 pin plug slides upwards to get it off and I broke a nail...
- After that, actually getting the camera to be recognised on their system took over 4 frustrating hours! - the camera just couldn't be found by their system, despite having to find a paperclip to try the reset button a few times, so I couldn't set up the account. Instructions tell you to wait for approx 5 mins for the light to go from red to green anyway but just nothing. I finally found an old ethernet cable I had, swapped it for the one they supplied and it then the light finally went green! So worth trying that if you have a problem.
- After set up I ran it on wireless.
- After the hiccup with the set up of the cam, the actual creating of the account and getting it up and running was fairly simple, logical and quite quick.
I have used computers all my life but am no techie (hence wanting this cam for ease as I didn't have to mess around with router settings).
- Android app set up very easy and quite basic (very basic really..).

Picture quality
- night time (it switches automatically a bit like Big Brother) to black & white and is fairly clear. I can see my pets chewing food - I can watch them from my bed on the mobile app!
- dawn/dusk - when the room is still a bit dark ish but the cam switches back to colour, terrible quality, almost looks pixelated, guess this is what other reviewers refer to as 'blocky'?
- daylight - ok quality, fairly clear for a darkish property.
Was nowhere near as clear as I thought it would be for a so called HD cam though! Would identify people easily however which is the main thing, but the old Logitech webcam I had over 10 years ago seemed to provide a clearer pic!
Night viewing outside - just reflects on the glass. (Did I read elsewhere the IR could be turned off to get around this??). I would like a second cam to monitor outside the property so I will investigate this.

Audio
- Even when my property is quiet the mic picks up all sorts of noise, not sure where from - the tv seems to squeal on it, if there is no tv I could hear people talking, not sure if that is from another property or outside but it was quiet inside so the mic seems very sensitive.
- Can hear my pets clearly!
- Could hear myself talking clearly!

Recording clip times/motion alerts
- I set up the motion alerts for the pets and it records mainly shortish 20-30 sec clips.
- If I walk into the room and do things then the clips being recorded were much longer, over 4 mins till I walked out the room.
- was fun seeing the pets reaction to hearing my key in the door!
- It recorded up to 189 motion alert clips one day and I didn't have it on all day.. so you might want to be more specific in what zones you monitor... bit of a novelty at first..
- Can view the clips on the mobile or the computer and download any you want to keep long term.
- Also sends emails.
- There is an option on the android app to share the vids to facebook.
- there is an option to set 1 or 2 zones and enable/disable the 2nd zone.
- Can disable the motion alert on the mobile app before getting out of bed so you don't record yourself first thing!

Viewing remotely
- worked well on an ancient Mac
- connecting on an Android phone was a bit hit and miss, got a lot of 'camera is busy' messages. Guess that's the mobile internet connection however.
- When I switched off the pc and went out the mobile app couldn't connect to the camera for about 45 mins. I will have to switch off well in advance of going out.. but I don't understand why that happens. Even though the mobile wouldn't connect to the cam straight away, the cam was still sending motion alert emails to my inbox so it was working.

Negative items.
- Obviously it's weighing up having electric items plugged in versus being burgled.. the camera itself feels reasonably hot to touch. The plug also. So there is the camera and the modem constantly plugged in now..
- Cam picture quality seems a bit poor at times of a lack of natural daylight.
- Camera limited to having to be near a plug socket for the power supply.
- Feel it's quite expensive for the level of quality.
- Minute or two delay - ie if I wave my arm I don't see it on the 'live' view for a minute or two.
- Disappointing to see the customer service is email based, I didn't have to use it but I'd rather just phone someone if I did have problems I couldn't resolve.
- Angle of cam on the stand is a bit limited. Stand is heavy (but sturdy).
It's a very visible cam! Square with an aerial, a whacking long lead to a plug, a green light, then when the IR kicks in at night they glow red. However by the time someone has walked across the room they will hopefully have already been recorded!
- Slight concern that if the company goes bust it's a bit useless..
- Would there be a problem with re-sell with the cams being registered?

It's a fascinating fun toy as well as a useful monitoring and security tool, but more so for the home user/non techie with the ease of use, I'm sure there must be much better quality cams out there however..

Will update more after longer use.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Solution For Home CCTV, 23 Dec 2013
After having looked at a LOT of reviews and scouring a lot of different retail sites i finally decided to buy the Home Monitor from Ycam.

This product is SUPERB! not only is the picture quality and sound very good, the online recording function is superb.#

The best part of all is the ease of installation, it literally took 2 minutes... it could not have been easier!

This product cannot be faulted (as far as i can see) and is well worth the month... Well done Y-cam quality product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - Free online cloud storage of video - BRILLIANT, 25 Jan 2014
For years people have been wondering when a company will release a home surveillance solution that allows the recorded footage to be stored online without having to pay through the roof for it. Say hello to Y-Cam's HomeMonitor HD. Priced at £149.99 it is a little more expensive that the Dropcam HD but comes in much cheaper than Logitech's 750n Indoor Master System. One of the best features abut the HomeMonitor HD is that straight out of the box it comes with 7 days free cloud storage - absolutely no subscription or payment needed.
Whats In The Box?
- 1x HomeMonitor HD Camera
- 1x Metal stand/wall/ceiling mount
- 1x 3m/10ft power supply with UK/US/EU plug attachments
- 1m/3ft network Ethernet cable
- 2x 1-inch screws
- 2x fluted plastic wall anchors

The camera itself measures 3.3 x 3.3 x 1.2 inches (Height x Width x Depth) but also has a 1-inch wireless antenna on the top. The HomeMonitor HD Camera sits in between the HomeMonitor Indoor (£129.99) and the HomeMonitor Outdoor (£199.99), but all use the same online service.

Setup
--------------------------
Setting up the camera is an absolute breeze. The included documentation lists in detail everything you need to do whether you are going to be using the camera wired or wireless. It basically requires you to hook up the camera to a mains power supply, and also to your router using the ethernet port on the back of the camera. When creating an account on the HomeMonitor website you'll be asked to enter the Camera ID which can be found on the camera or on the information booklet included. From here you'll be taken through a few more steps where you can configure some camera settings.
While I was setting up the camera I found it to be a smooth process and didn't run into any problems at all. I connected the camera to my router and after around 3/4 minutes the camera showed a green LED to show that it was connected and working correctly. One thing I would like to see in any future additions is WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) to make the process even easier.

Among the settings that you can change are those for motion detection. You are allowed to create two motion detection zones wherever your camera is pointed. This means that any movement not in these zones will not trigger the camera to start recording. From our tests this can be very useful when you have multiple people moving around and can set the camera to start recording for example when a door is opened. Not only this but a slider can be used to change the amount of movement needed to trigger the camera. You can also schedule these zones so they will only be looking for detection at certain times.

Once the setup is completed you will be taken to your homepage when you can switch between different tabs including Live View, Video Archive, User Manager and Camera Manager. Live View is exactly what it sounds like and allows you to see a 'live' feed from your camera. The only problem with this is that it isn't exactly live. We found there to be quite a bit of lag when it came to viewing the camera live, and although we knew that there would be some lag due to the video being sent via the internet we didn't realise just how much, but by no means is it a major drawback in my books.

Using the video manager you can view all of your captured video's from the past 7 days that have been stored in the cloud. There are a number of actions you can carry out including deleting all clips, deleting an individual clip and also downloading a clip. All of the clips are arranged by date and it is extremely easy to navigate through them using the time-stamps and duration of the clip.

The User Manager tab can be used the change your password but also add multiple emails which allows different people to log onto the dashboard and access all of this information including the video files - another nice feature.

From the Camera Manager you can see all the information about a certain camera, and have the option to add more cameras. This is another great thing about HomeMonitor, you can manage multiple cameras from one account, even when placed in different locations.

You can access your camera(s) from just about anywhere, with the quality apps that are available for iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Roku, which means you can watch your clips in HD on the big screen. The apps are clean and crisp and do exactly what they are supposed to. The UI works well and is easy to navigate even the first time you ever use it.
--------------------------
Pros
--------------------------
- Great night vision mode, thanks to the infra-red lights
- FREE cloud storage for the past 7 days
- Free companion applications for iOS, Android, Windows Phone & Roku
- Add multiple cameras to one HomeMonitor account
--------------------------
Cons
--------------------------
- Live Stream lags
- Only one way audio

--------------------------
Our Verdict
--------------------------
Overall the new HomeMonitor HD is a quality and solid product. It is meant to be a security / monitoring system and therefore the lag in the video feed doesn't really matter. The night vision mode thanks the the infra-red lights works absolutely brilliantly and you still get a clear, crisp image. The apps for all platforms are on par with each other and function exactly how they should. Overall I would recommend this product to anybody looking for an easy to set-up wireless monitoring system. Although not being cheap you would pay this money back to the companies such as Dropcam and Logitech when paying for their cloud storage subscription fees.

1.0 out of 5 stars just 10 seconds recording time on average!, 25 Jun 2014
sadly not impressed with this camera. Had a few issues setting it up and I am fairly competent on a computer. It couldn't find my wifi on the initial search so I did it manually, but you need to know your settings to do this. I had a foscam previously and decided to try this even though its more expensive. A big flaw in this system is that like the foscam, if you have a powercut, it renders the camera useless as it doesn't reset itself! I tested this specifically because of the issues I had with the foscam. Not only that, like other reviewers on here, my Y-Cam fails to record more than 4-10 seconds on average which again makes it useless for the purpose it was bought for. Clips stop then restart when someone has moved to a different part of the room, so you don't see what happened in between! The most I had was 1 min 23 seconds but that's only happened twice and even then clips stopped and started with delays inbetween. I have tried changing the size of the zones to see if that helps, but it hasn't made any difference. I cannot see how the person filmed a burglar in his office (as seen on a previous review), for over 2-3 minutes of footage using this same system. I have never had more than 10 second clips on average, despite moving around in the room constantly as a burglar would.

Incidentally, just so you know, if you want to extend the saving of clips from 7 days to 30 days you have to pay an extra 30 pounds. I bought two of these cameras but now they will be returned to amazon because they are not fit for their purpose due to serious flaws.

4.0 out of 5 stars Y-cam indoor HD overall pretty good, 14 Aug 2014
It's pretty good with decent image quality and night vision. I use it for monitoring the living area of my father's house where he has carers. There are a couple of flaws in my view but neither are deal breakers and I've just ordered a 2nd one. The sound quality isn't great - a bit tinny and prone to being harsh with louder noises, although it is very sensitive picking up the faintest noise which is good. The second thing is more about the movement detection software that's online - movement detection is triggered when something crosses the perimeter of your defined area and continues while there is movement within the area. The problem is if that something stops moving for a few seconds, then recording stops and when the thing starts moving again, it doesn't start recording because it need to cross the perimeter to trigger recording. It will record them leaving and a few seconds before leaving because they cross the perimeter and it records a few seconds up to the point it was triggered but they could be doing all sorts of things within the area for a long time and that won't get recorded. In about 7 weeks it's been installed I've had no problems with it dropping connections etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, 2 Jun 2014
D. S. R. Paz (UK) - See all my reviews
I went through the setup process (not without problems)
Nexus 5 needed reboot to actually see the videos, and there's definitely an issue with the iPad app and passwords.

The main problem is reliability, it often disconnects from the wifi and it won't recover itself, you have to manually unplug and replug the camera to get it to connect again, leaving it useless while away.

why can't it reboot itself after a while if it gets disconnected???

Very frustrating experience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good image but system has some significant drawbacks, 11 Jun 2014
I bought this camera around a month ago, and have now had a good chance to test in in various rooms throughout my house, and pointing outside both through glass and through an open window.

Overall, I have been impressed with the image quality, detail and sharpness both in various lighting conditions and using the infrared. The latter actually works very well indoors, illuminating an area around three to four meters in front of the lens at night.

Setup was very simple - connect the camera to your home router (in my case, a BT HomeHub 4), go to the y-cam website and create an account, type in the camera's serial number, and it will be detected and you can give it a name. Thereafter all access to the camera is either via the y-cam website, or I used a iOS app on both iPad and my iPhone 5S.

And herein lies the inherant problem. The camera can only be accessed via the y-cam website. I have not found any way at all (it may be possible by someone with more network knowledge than I) to 'intercept' the feed from the camera and divert it to, say, my NAS hard drive. You have to view the feed through the website, or the app, and make all setting adjustments here. Sometimes the website has been down - so no recordings and no access to the camera. Most times, it is extremely sluggish. I can't find a way for the main website to store my username and password (even ticking the 'remember me' box doesn't work) so going there I have to enter my credentials every time.

Perhaps the most fundamental issue this causes - you can't record directly from this camera. There is no 'record' button, either in the app's or on the website. You can view the camera feed, but not record. I know this sounds crazy, but it's true.

The only recording which the camera does is in response to the motion detection settings. Set this up to trigger either all the time, or to a set hourly schedule, and when the camera detects motion, it will record the motion and send it up to the y-cam cloud servers where you can view, and if necessary, download and save. But there is no way to determine the length of the recording.

For example, I had the camera in my living room one night, and it detected my son coming down for a midnight snack! But it only recorded five seconds of him approaching the camera, then stopped. It tripped again as he closed the door behind him. In total, when interrogated about the midnight snacking incident later(!) he admitted he was in front of the camera for a good 2-3 minutes - none of which was captured. The length of the recorded clips and the triggers seem arbitrary - sometimes the event which trips the recording is at the start of the clip - sometimes at the end, or cut off altogether. Clips seem to vary from a few seconds, and the longest I have seen is 40 seconds. It is therefore useless for gathering evidence. You can't control the recording, and it is completely hit and miss as to whether the recording captures the most valuable activity at all.

There are other issues with this deferred management state; yes, it's easy to set up, but the iOS app's are useless at changing settings - for example, you can't start or stop the motion detection (and therefore any chance of recording) if you have previously set a schedule - it tells you that a schedule is in effect and can't be altered! you have to go to the main website instead - if you forget to set this up before you leave home, you should be able to control this functionality from the app - that is a shocking oversight.

It also needs far more functionality to be able to record a feed there and then - imagine the scenario where you might be watching the live feed, see a burglar enter, realise you haven't set up the motion detection and - no, you can't just press a button to record. You would have to go to the main website, enter your credentials once again, turn off the schedule, activate the motion tracking, and by then the burglar would have listed all your wares on an auction site, and be off for tea. Ludicrous.

I understand what y-cam are trying to do here; the set up and subsequent management is very easy, and if you want a device which is more of a deterrent than a proper video camera / recorder, it would be fine. I have given it three stars - mainly for ease of setup and image quality. But I wouldn't buy another product from the HomeMonitor range until y-cam fix these inherent drawbacks and allow me to record the output locally, or manually to their cloud, in bursts of 5 minutes, for example. Clearly they are worried about the amount of storage which could quickly be necessary at their end of these really take off, but this isn't the best way to go about it.

Skybird

5.0 out of 5 stars Y-Cam HomeMonitor - Great image quality at a reasonable price. Very easy set-up., 25 Sep 2014
Great little quality camera which does exactly what is expected. The set-up was in fact incredibly easy except for a little bug in the instructions which stated to enter the router password (usually at the back of the router) when in fact you need to enter your network password. Two other email enquiries were answered in great detail within 12 hours. Picture quality day & night is outstanding for such a small camera at a reasonable price. The email notifications worked fine and the account pages are well laid-out and easy to understand.

Customer service is one of the best I can recall: professional (they can spell), friendly and nothing seems too much trouble. One of my questions concerned the streaming of video via my personal website, which was not planned at this stage, but with the excellent image quality available, would open great possibilities, especially when one has a great view to share. I was told that I was not the only person interested in such a facility and that the Y-Cam team was working on it. If this feature were to be made available, the applications would be endless.

The camera is now running faultless for three weeks some 1000 miles away from where we live. Faultless? I only know, because, so far we had 2 notifications by email which turned out to be an insect buzzing past the lens. I have no hesitation to recommend the camera and the company.

4.0 out of 5 stars False start, now works perfect!, 19 Feb 2014
Had a bad experience when we received a unit that was pretty much DOA. We returned it but decided to give the product another chance - I'm glad we did. Performs exactly as you'd expect. The night vision quality is even better than the daylight mode - it provides a really high contrast into dark sections of the recording however there is some noticeable glare of the IR LEDs in the top corners of the picture. The iOS app also needs the ability to delete recordings and modify the recording schedule. Otherwise it is a top product - recommended.