5.0 out of 5 stars What Might Have Been?
This sequel to Matthew Lewis' Loyalty was eagerly awaited and I wasn't disappointed. The tales of Hans Holbein and the followers of Richard lll run side-by-side successfully and have just the right amount of tension to keep the reader sitting up and taking notice.
Published 10 months ago by J. Lawrence

3.0 out of 5 stars Good attention to detail but far too much white knuckled ...
Good attention to detail but far too much white knuckled anger fits and streaming tears making the story irritatingly childish and unbelievable.
Published 2 months ago by Norma Miles

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars What Might Have Been?, 18 Dec 2013
J. Lawrence "Janine" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honour (Kindle Edition)
For me one thing came over loud and clear: it was as dangerous to be at the court of Henry Vll as that of his son, Henry Vlll. Both monarchs had insecurities and it paid to keep your mouth shut.
I think the characters are believable and the prose is fluent with conversations realistic.
All in all, a good read, so treat yourselves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorughly good read ..., 21 Jan 2014
Christine Neale "cjneale" (Stratford-upon-Avon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honour (Kindle Edition)
I have to say that, whilst I quite enjoyed Matthew Lewis' last book - 'Loyalty', there was also an awful lot about it that irritated me, this one however, seemed to be in a different league.
The writing was much slicker, the dialogue less forced, the characters much more vividly drawn - altogether a much better read. Actually, I was a bit disappointed when I'd finished it - in the way you often are when you've come to the end of a book you've enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honour indeed - the TRUE meaning., 7 Sep 2014
Mrs. D. Penn (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honour (Paperback)
I read ‘Loyaulty’ and loved it, I certainly hope what happened to Richard as he died at Bosworth was true, it would make it easier to bear.
Couldn’t wait to read ‘Honour’ as it was about the ever faithful Lovel... what DID happen to him? Yet another mystery that surrounds King Richard. Sadly we will never know (perhaps) but this is one possibility. I waited to read it until I was in Middleham and glad that I did, it bought the emotion of it all to life and knowing that the Northern men mustered at Masham just down the road was quite poignant... I saw the beautiful countryside and little town with new eyes. It also made me more sympathetic to Catesby, one I have never much liked for some reason.
Every page was excellently written, keeping the reader engrossed...nothing ever repeated ad nauseum as some authors do to fill out the pages. I could hear the sounds, smell the odours and see the fear in their faces and I cried with poor Thomas Stafford at Tyburn.
I will not go into details as I do not want to spoil it for those who have not yet read the book, but have always thought Colchester held secrets - I wonder if this is why Dr John Ashdown Hill lives here? A coincidence or not, I don’t know. I do know that Holbein’s portrait speaks volumes and it was a huge pity that Jack Leslau could not finish his investigations into the bones at Mechelen.
Please read ‘Loyaulty’ first and then this one if you are a believer in Richard’s honesty and justice.
You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Honour (Kindle Edition)
I would recommend this book to anybody who likes this period of history. His theory on the fate of the 'princes in the tower' was well thought out and very well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting perspective and just a great story., 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Honour (Kindle Edition)
I would definitely recommend HONOUR, which continues the story of Francis Lovell and the surviving Yorkists after the Battle of Bosworth (LOYALTY) whilst also taking us into the perilous courts of Henry Tudor and Henry Viii.

Matthew Lewis weaves a gripping and very human story through the bare bones of historical fact, creating an interesting and thought provoking perspective of what might have happened next.

The characters are believable and, at times, likeable as they find their way through the insecurities of Tudor England. I was left with much respect for Master Holbein and really need to read more about him now.

I think that both Loyalty and Honour can be read and enjoyed by anyone with little or no knowledge of the period as they are simply great stories but those who know the history well will find a really enjoyable alternative viewpoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel to Loyalty, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Honour (Kindle Edition)
This book follows on from Loyalty,the thrilling novel of Richard III and his demise at Bosworth.
As with Loyalty the story switches between eras,following the trials of Francis Lord Lovell and RIII supporters, to the court of Henry VII and his son Henry VIII.
Matthew Lewis manages to skillfully weave the different tales together to make a very exciting read,the characters are well written and the dialogue is very believeable.I really enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to the next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic, 15 Aug 2014
This review is from: Honour (Kindle Edition)
From the start of this book, the author portrays lovell,s grief at the loss of his king, and friend Richard so touchingly that it brought a lump to my throat, if I hadn't been traveling on a train, I think I would have cried.
Such a beautifully written story, the characters and the plots hold you right to the end.looking forward to the third book

5.0 out of 5 stars Matthew Lewis is brilliantly filling the gaps in my history knowledge, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Honour (Kindle Edition)
Matthew Lewis is brilliantly filling the gaps in my history knowledge, motivating me to not only to avidly consume his books, but also to get out there and start researching for myself. We can't know exactly what happened in much of Richard III's life, or the details of the lives around him, but it's fantastic to build the best picture we can. And writing historical fiction of this quality surely can play a role in getting people today interested in discovering and preserving the knowledge and historic sites that we have. So a highly recommended book and author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Story of England after Bosworth, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Honour (Kindle Edition)
The Tudor dynasty begins in this second novel by author Matthew Lewis. Beginning where Loyalty left off, the reader is immediately engaged in post Bosworth drama. Following Richard III's best friend, Francis Lovell, the author pieces together a unique and detailed account of the mysteries surrounding the sons of York.

This is one of the best novels that I have read covering the years following the tragic end of the Plantagenet dynasty at Bosworth Field in 1485. Viscount Lovell is plagued by guilt that he survived when so many of his friends fell, but Richard had other plans for him. Lovell dedicates the remainder of his life to Richard's cause and attempting to ensure that his friend and pious king does not become "consigned to history as the malevolent uncle who stole the crown from a boy, his own nephew."

Clearly, the Tudor propaganda machine was more successful in defining Richard's character than Francis was, but this novel proposes an interesting, if not completely plausible, explanation of events that clear Richard's name. Characterizations of the Stafford brothers, John de la Pole, and William Catesby are intriguing and believable, encouraging the reader to take up the York standard themselves.

The story of the aftermath of Bosworth is interspersed with a side plot taking place during the reign of Henry VIII, the usurper Henry Tudor's son. With Hans Holbein returning to the scene, he is once again asked to secretly protect the truth about the York remnant. But what is the truth?

This novel is an interesting historical what-if that leaves the reader wishing that things could have turned out differently. If only certain schemers had not been so successful, some been less trusting of others' honor, and key figures not driven by personal vainglory. Could things have turned out different for the boys of York?

Though Richard III lies dead at the beginning of this novel, his spirit lives on in this novel through the many who still love him and are loyal to his memory. For this author's excellent novelization of Richard's life, pick up his first book, Loyalty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does not disappoint, 14 Jun 2014
Mrs. J. R. Larner "JetBlack" (Rayleigh, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honour (Kindle Edition)
I loved the previous episode of this story, Loyalty, and this follow up does not disappoint. Well written and fast moving with great characters and storyline.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›