5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away
Published 17 months ago by M. palmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Rival Dealer review
"Rival Dealer" is the most divisive release of Will Bevan's career, replacing the claustrophobic darkness and understated beauty of his previous work with a newfound celebratory spirit that occasionally strays into cheesiness. There are moments of transcendent brilliance here, but also an awkwardness. The juxtaposition of light and darkness can be jarring. The...
Published 16 months ago by Aaron Sarin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away, 20 Dec. 2013
M. palmer "jot" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rival Dealer EP (Audio CD)
I really don't know where ONE of the reviewers is coming from, but each to their own........All I have to say is that this makes me feel like I did the first time I heard Burial. I listen to a lot of Electronica and this, in my opinion, is one of the most forward thinking, complex, dazzling and down right awesome releases I have had the pleasure of listening to. This smacked me square between the ears and did not stop. The layers are unimaginable and the talent is mind blowing. YOU NEED THIS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra _ Ordinary, 28 Feb. 2014
P. A. Barnes "Carl Jung" (Exeter, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rival Dealer EP (Audio CD)
This is Extra Extra ordinary in the true sense of the words. I'm long time electronic music writer and producer also play Classical Piano and Violin. What this does artist produces musical convention - I know its only my humble opinion but he realy is something special. He raises the bar everytime. I just wonder where he will go next.

Transcendent

5.0 out of 5 stars His best work (in my opinion), 10 May 2014
Mr. C. R. Moore "craigisageek" (North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rival Dealer EP (Audio CD)
I love this EP- in my opinion this encompasses all the best bits of Burial. The breezy beats, darkness, euphoria, happiness, sadness and melancholy all rolled into one. Each track is like a journey (particularly Rival Dealer and Come Down To Us). I once read an interview with Burial describing what he aims to achieve with his music...
"“The sound that I’m focused on is more, you know, when you come out of a club and there’s that echo in your head of the music you just heard…I love that music, but I can’t make that club sort of stuff…but I can try and make the afterglow of that music. You know what I mean…it’s like people after a club and they’re sitting around or playing Playstation and stuff, still listening to the echo of their night out in their heads. Or when you walk down the stairs into a club and you start hearing the music, but there’s people talking around you and the music mixes itself in with real life. I like that sound…it’s like a memory of a tune."
This is the perfect description of the Rival Dealer EP; beats ebb in and out, snippets of conversation are heard, sometimes clear, sometimes barely audible, haunting vocal lines groan out from the speakers evoking a range of emotions from the listener.
Dim the lights, put this on a decent stereo and zone out. Perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 1 April 2014
Mr. R. A. Middleton (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rival Dealer EP (Audio CD)
If you like music you will like this, no one releases anything quite like this, totally unique. Some are saying Burial has taken it in a new direction but to me its just another sublime listening experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deal or No Deal..., 24 Dec. 2013
Phil C (Nuneaton, Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rival Dealer [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
I first heard this on "6 Music" and had a WTF moment! If John Peel was still alive, he would be playing this every show despite the fact that it's over ten minutes long!

5.0 out of 5 stars More ideas than fit on most albums, 27 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Rival Dealer EP (Audio CD)
I'm loving the EPs Burial is producing, he's obviously spending a ridiculous amount of time creating three superb tracks and it shows. He has ideas aplenty but the way everything fits together and the general quality is what really sets it apart.

5.0 out of 5 stars True artist, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: ep [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Brilliant composition.. Cannot and never will stop listening to Burial music... Fantastic. Relaxed style but still has a weight in the sound and one of the most unique vocal style arrangements I've ever heard...

5.0 out of 5 stars Burial is this the man, 27 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Rival Dealer EP (Audio CD)
If you're à Burial fan from the beginning, check this one out, cause it's Some of the best work he's ever released.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a talent!, 15 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Rival Dealer [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Every so often, I hear something that stands out from the mediocre. Thick, dark, dystopian, underground. These are the words that spring to mind every time I hear this guy's music, an original melding of trip-hop, house and dubstep that really takes the breath away. What more can I add?

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary., 11 April 2015
This review is from: Rival Dealer [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
This really isn't my "type" of music but it is quite extraordinary. For those who have not seen it check out the documentary Bitter Lake [BBC iPlayer] where you will hear this as the soundtrack; and it is perfect.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›