Having watched 'Mad Dogs' right from the start, I am both surprised and disappointed by the number of people saying they either didn't understand the ending, or didn't like it, or the later series. In my opinion, it is unlike anything else out there, and perhaps this is the problem - it doesn't quite conform to the usual rules!

Basically it's a story about...
Published 7 months ago by E. JACKSON

1.0 out of 5 stars Thank God the dogs were finally put down
I wrote a review about how bad Series Three was and despite my excitement over a finale I was utterly disappointed.

*Spoilers ahead*
A bizarre first act wedding scene which seemed forced and slightly all over the place.
A rehash of the first series' high point, the angry Blairs and the Villa siege.
The car chase scenes where the Blairs seemed to...
Published 7 months ago by M. Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Thank God the dogs were finally put down, 7 Jan 2014
M. Brown (Ireland) - See all my reviews

*Spoilers ahead*
A rehash of the first series' high point, the angry Blairs and the Villa siege.
The car chase scenes where the Blairs seemed to be telepathic in finding the dogs.
The massive plot holes all over the place (the beach is empty, flash the camera around, NO, it's full of Blairs and the guy in the wheelchair who magically made it all down to the beach in split second timing).
And the ending. Look I hated it but each to their own. When it takes a cast member to come out and explain it, you know that it wasn't meant to be that unclear. It was a hack ending that was done very poorly and the message they tried to broadcast was just lost.

Series Four is really mercy flush for the series because if it hadn't ended at this stage, I'm not sure anyone could keep going with it. And that's its only plus, that it guarantees no more Mad Dogs.

I loved Series One, Series Two was pretty good but more or the same. Series Three was utterly terrible and this Series was a hashed and cobbled together ending which seemed to be written by someone who really was writing as they went along.

I said in my Series Three review that the dogs had lost their bite, well this Series showed that the dogs needed to be put down. Unexciting, farcical, implausible and just generally un-enjoyable.

My advice; watch Mad Dogs Series One, and leave it there.

2.0 out of 5 stars WORST ENDING EVER!!, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Mad dogs was such a good series, well written right from series 1 to series 3. It had good humour and good drama and I loved watching it. When I heard that series 4 was coming out I was ecstatic. However, the ending to Mad dogs was terrible. It was like the writer had run out of ideas. I didn't make any sense at all. If I were you I would watch series 1-3 and just leave it there, don't waste your time or money on this final series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mad Dogs - brilliantly dark drama for those who like to think, 10 Jan 2014
E. JACKSON "Neon Sky Books" (SURREY, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)

Basically it's a story about five old college friends who have kept in touch, off and on, through the years, but are a bit out of touch with each other. Alvo has made a life for himself out in Spain, and invites his four friends to a weekend at his villa. On the surface he appears successful, but Baxter (Simm), Quinn (Glenister), Rick (Warren) and Woody (Beesley) soon discover that there is a darker side to Alvo. They are very quickly thrown into an unfamiliar world of murder, drugs and corruption which, of course, being 'just four herberts' as Glenister's character puts it, they are totally ill-equipped to deal with. They make bad choice after bad choice, finding themselves on the run and in fear of their lives.

There was, by series 4, only one way it could end, and it did; but along the way we saw the four men grapple with their own inadequacies (all have failed marriages, two have drink problems) and greed. Despite their failings, we couldn't help but root for them, which makes the final episode all the more shocking.

The show was beautifully shot, and very atmospheric.

Reviews are, by nature, subjective - my advice is to see for yourself. 'Mad Dogs' has humour (at times very dark), pathos, action and adventure; and the ending, whilst on the surface rather ambiguous, has only one explanation if you really think about it. It leaves you thinking, which to me is the best thing you can ask of any drama.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Having watched series 1-3 and having loved them all i had high expectations for series 4 but unfortunately i was seriously disappointed. It started well but the ending completely ruined it for me. It makes no sense. Don't bother wasting your money on buying this as it doesn't offer any conclusion to the series.

1.0 out of 5 stars My Dog Could Create A Better Mess!!!!!!, 20 Jan 2014
Gareth Davies "garethdavies2063" (Unied Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I have watched Mad Dogs since the beginning and I very much enjoyed series 1 & 2. I wasn't that fussed about series 3, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as series 1 & 2. However I was looking forward to series 4, now I wish it had been cancelled after series 3.

Series 4 just forces all that has gone before down our throats. All the character's spoken about but not seen (hence the wedding scenes). Which ultimately take up 3/4's of the first episode and are completely pointless. Then after the villa escape in the second episode they drive around aimlessly, being followed by the Blair's as if they have a tracking device on the vehicle. The Boys decide to abandon the vehicle and hide in a massive sewer outlet directly across from the vehicle. While hiding in the sewer Baxter has a freak-out and kills his girlfriend, who was his love interest from series 2, then they jump back in their vehicle and drive until they run out of petrol outside a derelict beach resort.

The Blair's and Wheelchair Guy find them and take them to the freshly dug graves on the beach and kneel them down and put bags over their heads. At this point the writers should have done a Soprano's and FADE TO BLACK, because what came next has now made it impossible for me to stomach re-watching a episode of Mad Dogs ever again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Thoroughly enjoyed this series, and what magnificent casting, but not sure that these lads really deserved the ending they were given.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite frankly the most brilliant series out there., 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I know that there has been quite a lot of bad reviews for Mad Dogs Series 4, and so I was slightly disheartened after reading them, having loved the other three series. But I trusted the producers, knowing that they wouldn't let their audience down with a weak finish, and went ahead and bought the DVD anyway, just because I wanted to see how it ends.
And, to be quite frank, I don't know what everyone else is on about! It was as good as or even better than the other series, and I loved the way there was so much referencing to the previous series, and the way that at least one aspect from each series was incorporated in this conclusion. The acting was, as usual, superb and very moving in places, and the choice of cinematography was excellent. One of the things this series is best at are those long, tense, silent pauses in a seemingly idyllic place, and I'm glad to say they incorporated a lot of that (despite sort of forgetting about this device in Series Two).
People also seem to hate the ending, but I think that it was a very good conclusion that was left open and thought-provoking in its symbolism. And the fish tank scene had us all laughing out loud! My only regret was that there was only two episodes!
Seriously, if you are a Mad Dogs fan that appreciates the series as much as I do, you have to buy this DVD to see what happens. You'll love it as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real fan, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Enjoyed the whole series. Full of comedy,drama,pathos and happiness. A stellar cast that really pull a great idea off to the greatest level. Makes you proud to be British in the strangest of ways as the characters are far from perfect but very sincere and real.

2.0 out of 5 stars Series 1 - 3 are epic.Series 4 don't bother., 18 July 2014
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed the Mad Dogs series 1-3 and got series 4 despite other reviews being very critical.It was if the producer and or director were different people to those who made the 1st 3 series and they had not viewed the earlier series.Series 4 is no way near as good as the 1st 3 and to be honest it is not worth watching,honestly, it is that bad.I won't spoil it for you if you read this with the intention of getting the DVD.
SERIES 1 - 3 are epic.Series 4 don't waste your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mad Dogs dvd., 9 July 2014
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Happy to watch on tv and dvd.

Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD]
Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] by Adrian Shergold (DVD - 2014)
14.13