Having watched 'Mad Dogs' right from the start, I am both surprised and disappointed by the number of people saying they either didn't understand the ending, or didn't like it, or the later series. In my opinion, it is unlike anything else out there, and perhaps this is the problem - it doesn't quite conform to the usual rules!

Basically it's a story about...
Published 17 months ago by EJ JACKSON

1.0 out of 5 stars Thank God the dogs were finally put down
I wrote a review about how bad Series Three was and despite my excitement over a finale I was utterly disappointed.

*Spoilers ahead*
A bizarre first act wedding scene which seemed forced and slightly all over the place.
A rehash of the first series' high point, the angry Blairs and the Villa siege.
The car chase scenes where the Blairs seemed to...
Published 18 months ago by M. Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Thank God the dogs were finally put down, 7 Jan. 2014
M. Brown (Ireland) - See all my reviews

*Spoilers ahead*
A rehash of the first series' high point, the angry Blairs and the Villa siege.
The car chase scenes where the Blairs seemed to be telepathic in finding the dogs.
The massive plot holes all over the place (the beach is empty, flash the camera around, NO, it's full of Blairs and the guy in the wheelchair who magically made it all down to the beach in split second timing).
And the ending. Look I hated it but each to their own. When it takes a cast member to come out and explain it, you know that it wasn't meant to be that unclear. It was a hack ending that was done very poorly and the message they tried to broadcast was just lost.

Series Four is really mercy flush for the series because if it hadn't ended at this stage, I'm not sure anyone could keep going with it. And that's its only plus, that it guarantees no more Mad Dogs.

I loved Series One, Series Two was pretty good but more or the same. Series Three was utterly terrible and this Series was a hashed and cobbled together ending which seemed to be written by someone who really was writing as they went along.

I said in my Series Three review that the dogs had lost their bite, well this Series showed that the dogs needed to be put down. Unexciting, farcical, implausible and just generally un-enjoyable.

My advice; watch Mad Dogs Series One, and leave it there.

1.0 out of 5 stars My Dog Could Create A Better Mess!!!!!!, 20 Jan. 2014
Gareth Davies "garethdavies2063" (United Kingdom (Bridgend, South Wales)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I have watched Mad Dogs since the beginning and I very much enjoyed series 1 & 2. I wasn't that fussed about series 3, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as series 1 & 2. However I was looking forward to series 4, now I wish it had been cancelled after series 3.

Series 4 just forces all that has gone before down our throats. All the character's spoken about but not seen (hence the wedding scenes). Which ultimately take up 3/4's of the first episode and are completely pointless. Then after the villa escape in the second episode they drive around aimlessly, being followed by the Blair's as if they have a tracking device on the vehicle. The Boys decide to abandon the vehicle and hide in a massive sewer outlet directly across from the vehicle. While hiding in the sewer Baxter has a freak-out and kills his girlfriend, who was his love interest from series 2, then they jump back in their vehicle and drive until they run out of petrol outside a derelict beach resort.

The Blair's and Wheelchair Guy find them and take them to the freshly dug graves on the beach and kneel them down and put bags over their heads. At this point the writers should have done a Soprano's and FADE TO BLACK, because what came next has now made it impossible for me to stomach re-watching a episode of Mad Dogs ever again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mad Dogs - brilliantly dark drama for those who like to think, 10 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)

Basically it's a story about five old college friends who have kept in touch, off and on, through the years, but are a bit out of touch with each other. Alvo has made a life for himself out in Spain, and invites his four friends to a weekend at his villa. On the surface he appears successful, but Baxter (Simm), Quinn (Glenister), Rick (Warren) and Woody (Beesley) soon discover that there is a darker side to Alvo. They are very quickly thrown into an unfamiliar world of murder, drugs and corruption which, of course, being 'just four herberts' as Glenister's character puts it, they are totally ill-equipped to deal with. They make bad choice after bad choice, finding themselves on the run and in fear of their lives.

There was, by series 4, only one way it could end, and it did; but along the way we saw the four men grapple with their own inadequacies (all have failed marriages, two have drink problems) and greed. Despite their failings, we couldn't help but root for them, which makes the final episode all the more shocking.

The show was beautifully shot, and very atmospheric.

Reviews are, by nature, subjective - my advice is to see for yourself. 'Mad Dogs' has humour (at times very dark), pathos, action and adventure; and the ending, whilst on the surface rather ambiguous, has only one explanation if you really think about it. It leaves you thinking, which to me is the best thing you can ask of any drama.

2.0 out of 5 stars WORST ENDING EVER!!, 1 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Mad dogs was such a good series, well written right from series 1 to series 3. It had good humour and good drama and I loved watching it. When I heard that series 4 was coming out I was ecstatic. However, the ending to Mad dogs was terrible. It was like the writer had run out of ideas. I didn't make any sense at all. If I were you I would watch series 1-3 and just leave it there, don't waste your time or money on this final series!

2.0 out of 5 stars Bark but no bite!, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I have thoroughly enjoyed series 1, thought the writing was a bit all over the place on series 2, but got a good serving of great humour and excellent twists in series 3, enough to anticipate series 4 with a lot of excitement. Sadly, series 4 was a great disappointment, to say the least. Nasty surprise number 1: Only two episodes! It's hardly worth calling that a series and doesn't make the DVD purchase good value for money, especially as the ending was so lame, pointless and unsatisfactory! What's the point in all these killings anyway? I hate spoilers in reviews so I won't be specific, but surely, why all this allegory and weirdness towards the end? After all the dogs had been through, why did they make that choice in the end? And why would the Blairs choose to do what they did as well? I could keep asking questions till kingdom come here, but it would be as pointless as this 'series' is. Would have been happier had it ended in series 3 and if I ever bring myself to watch it from the beginning again (I feel THAT put off right now!), I am definitely giving the last 2 episodes a miss. What a waste of time, money and gray matter that was!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Having watched series 1-3 and having loved them all i had high expectations for series 4 but unfortunately i was seriously disappointed. It started well but the ending completely ruined it for me. It makes no sense. Don't bother wasting your money on buying this as it doesn't offer any conclusion to the series.

1.0 out of 5 stars What the heck was all that about??????, 3 Nov. 2014
David S. Haazen (Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Well, after having stuck with the whole thing through to series four.....what the hell????? what a totally stupid ending to what should have been an amazing series. Why do just about all the series shown on telly, both British and American, have such a problem ending??? just about all of them, with the exception of the brilliant Breaking Bad, end up with disgruntled fans wanting to lynch the writers and producers,and the writers and producers proclaiming that the fans are all totally wrong and the ending they came up with, no matter how dumb and stupidly inappropriate, is beyond doubt the only possible ending to THEIR series. It gets to the stage that I`m afraid to start watching anything, especially if I actually enjoy it, just in case it gets cancelled after the first or second series, or it has such a dumb ending you wonder why you bothered sticking with it. Forget series four, it is just not worth the stress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 19 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Thoroughly enjoyed this series, and what magnificent casting, but not sure that these lads really deserved the ending they were given.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite frankly the most brilliant series out there., 18 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I know that there has been quite a lot of bad reviews for Mad Dogs Series 4, and so I was slightly disheartened after reading them, having loved the other three series. But I trusted the producers, knowing that they wouldn't let their audience down with a weak finish, and went ahead and bought the DVD anyway, just because I wanted to see how it ends.
And, to be quite frank, I don't know what everyone else is on about! It was as good as or even better than the other series, and I loved the way there was so much referencing to the previous series, and the way that at least one aspect from each series was incorporated in this conclusion. The acting was, as usual, superb and very moving in places, and the choice of cinematography was excellent. One of the things this series is best at are those long, tense, silent pauses in a seemingly idyllic place, and I'm glad to say they incorporated a lot of that (despite sort of forgetting about this device in Series Two).
People also seem to hate the ending, but I think that it was a very good conclusion that was left open and thought-provoking in its symbolism. And the fish tank scene had us all laughing out loud! My only regret was that there was only two episodes!
Seriously, if you are a Mad Dogs fan that appreciates the series as much as I do, you have to buy this DVD to see what happens. You'll love it as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real fan, 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] (DVD)
Enjoyed the whole series. Full of comedy,drama,pathos and happiness. A stellar cast that really pull a great idea off to the greatest level. Makes you proud to be British in the strangest of ways as the characters are far from perfect but very sincere and real.

Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD]
Mad Dogs - Series 4 [DVD] by Adrian Shergold (DVD - 2014)