on 17 December 2012
I purchased Thracian Magic based on the recommendations of friends who told me it would compliment my interest in the goddess Hekate. Thracian Magic did this and so much more. It has opened up a realm of folk magic to me unique to my own experiences of folk magic. It is well written, well researched and displays both a historical as well as a practical understanding of the rituals and rites contained within.

Separated into 'descriptions of practice' it is possible, in most instances, to read a small section and feel that you are not abandoning the piece halfway through, or feel the need to complete a lengthy chapter. As someone who doesn't have a great deal of time to spend reading books of this nature between home, work and all the childcare between it worked really well for me.

I have actually read the book during my lunch hour at work and I have found it a stimulating read, and it has been a talking point among my colleagues!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 January 2014
I have read this book twice since receiving it and dipped into it several times to check facts and information.

The level of research is deep and broad. If you choose it for one thing, let it be the range of traditional magic and worship techniques. There is a great deal of detailed information on past and present customs and traditions of an area of the world where magic seems alive and thriving. Much of it is relevant to Hekate, all of it fascinating because of its many differences with other parts of Europe.

A mine of knowledge and wisdom, written in a very approachable style by someone who clearly has studied and also had direct experience of his subject.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 November 2012
Thracian Magic past and present by Georgi Mishev.
I would like to see more books like this one.
This is a book about Magical Rituals practiced in the Balkan Peninsula.
It is well researched, with plenty of references, an index for the images, and a concise Bibliography. It is written in Plain language, to the point, with adequate comments, containing a wealth of Knowledge not frequently available outside its Country of Origin.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...