5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down...
I picked up this book having been given it as a gift. Not being an active gal it was more out of politeness when I opened it up to have a read. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I got into it, especially as my preferred choice of book are chick lits and ones selected from a best-seller shelf at a generic supermarket.

Firstly, the book is very well written...
Published 5 days ago by KathrynandBinx

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much more than a training journal
In this running book, Ira Rainey takes us through his training diary in the lead up to the Green Man race around Bristol. It’s a 46 mile race – pretty good, certainly further than I could run, but in ultra running terms it’s not exactly superhuman. And that’s the main issue – it’s impressive that Ira Rainey has run the race, but...
Published 1 month ago by Sport Nut

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down..., 20 July 2014

Firstly, the book is very well written in a style that encourages you to keep going. It amazed me how quickly each chapter went by - and not because I was skipping words as I have been known to do in the past. The ease in which the book took me through it's journey enabled me to read it in two sittings. I just wanted to keep reading.

Secondly, it opened up a world unbeknown to me. When knowing that people were 'out on a run' my response was generally 'oh, OK!' but I now understand how much effort, determination and resilience is put in (along with duct tape, OS maps and some kind of gel that you eat!). Now I can nod with the knowledge of what a run entails rather then being ignorant of all that is involved. I also was able to relate to places mentioned as I live in Bristol.

Finally, it had made me think about needing to exercise more and my own state of health. Whilst I'm in no fit state to sign up for my own Green Man Challenge, the outdoors is calling and I have a summer ahead in which I really should go and explore it more. Maybe this book is my wake up call...

Overall, an enjoyable read which shows one man's personal journey, his own inspirations and achievements. Could it be yours?

5.0 out of 5 stars this is ultra, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Fat Man to Green Man: From Unfit to Ultramarathon (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book, had me in fits of laughter at times, but throughout the true running spirit shone through.
We are all runners at heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will make you want to get out & run in the countryside, 19 Mar 2014
Books about running journeys are numerous, but this book, unlike many others in the genre, has the power to hold your attention whilst taking you on a journey without the episodic formula that others employ.
Driven by a desire to lose weight & become fit, coupled with emotional reasons, Ira Rainey tells the story of how he, along with his friends, pushed themselves far beyond the point when 'normal' marathon runners would have given up & gone home for a mug of cocoa & a hot bath.
Ira paints a picture of hedgerows, flooded pathways & copious amounts of mud, but it's also a picture that will also make you want to get out & run in the countryside...

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful account for any runner or aspiring runner, 12 Mar 2014
If you are training for a running race this will show you what you can be capable of. This is an honest, humorous entertaining account of what it is to push your self.

He is heavy (circa 17 stone) at 6 foot high, his story covers his training diary as he ups the mileage and drops the weight for his first ultra marathon.

I'm training for my second and third half marathon and have found his experiences very useful.

Everyone is different but we all have potential, this will give you a detailed insight into what is required as you attempt your next/ first 5k and beyond.

5.0 out of 5 stars fatman to greenman, 22 Jan 2014
This book is a must read for any athlete who has experienced the highs and lows of training for a big race.

It is brilliantly written and contains a great deal of subtle humour even through the darkest times

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest, 11 Jan 2014
There are loads of this sort of book around. This one is actually worth reading. Unassuming, engaging and natural. Fair play.

4.0 out of 5 stars an inspiring story, 27 Dec 2013
I enjoyed reading this book having followed in similar footsteps over the past few years. Well done, a moving well written account that proves its mind over matter that counts!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 11 Dec 2013
Once you begin reading this book, you have to keep turning the pages. Superb writing and inspirational. I couldn't put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a real runner!, 6 Mar 2014
This is a great read and a lovely story. It's a treat to read about a real runner not some superhuman athlete and Ira's story is as compelling as it is "ordinary." Well written with a nice line in self depreciating humour the book flies along (dare I say it quicker than some of the runs!) and it's over all too soon. A great book to make you motivated to slip non the running shoes and hit the trails!

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars, 20 July 2014
I enjoyed the book, it was a good read. As a middle of the pack runner myself I could identify with the characters and was able to appreciate the training effort involved. The book is well written and at times you almost feel as if you are on a training run with the guys. It has planted a seed and I might take on an ultra myself in the future. The book is well worth a read.