5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
I loved this book. I loved the heroine Annie and her puppets from the beginning, and the hero from halfway through the book. The story worked very well, with several levels of surprising secrets to be revealed. There were many humorous moments.

Published 4 months ago by Marcie'sview

Published 5 months ago by Clipper

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than many, but not up to SEP's usual brilliant standard., 5 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Heroes Are My Weakness: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
It breaks my heart to say this, because I LOVE SEP. LOVE HER. Her Chicago Stars series is one of my favourite series and I return to it all the time. I re-read Match Me if You Can and Natural Born Charmer last week for the who-knows-how-many-ith time alone. I recommend her funny, feisty heroines and hot as all get out heroes to everyone who asks for a good book.They are usually brilliant characters, with depth and humour and most of all, are genuinely likeable and recognisable characters.

I was really disappointed by this book. I pre-ordered it and read it the day it came out, but I was left feeling a bit let down. I don't know if it was because the setting was in a supposedly 'gothic' castle that even in my head felt surreal, or because the characters just didn't see to ring as true as the normally do, but I just didn't love them. Don't get me wrong, this is SEP and any SEP is going to be better than almost anyone out there, but I don't think I'll be returning to this one. The twist felt obvious, the reveal at the end felt almost tacked on and ultimately I didn't lust after the mysterious man in the tower.

2.0 out of 5 stars very dark fiction, 27 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Heroes Are My Weakness: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Read via local elibrary. Agree with some reviewers amazon. Com. Book not what i expected. Very dark with talking puppets throughout. Nothing in library blurb gave away the darkness. I really really dont like books like this. Too disturbing for me. I didnt like ending either. Its not even a romance, contemporary or otherwise though classified by library as such.

1.0 out of 5 stars I love SEP and her books are always a must buy, 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Heroes Are My Weakness: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I love SEP and her books are always a must buy! I didn't like this book at all - so dark, dour and depressing. Not the uplifting fun book I normally enjoy from SEP. Struggled to finish - in fact if I'm honest I skimmed to the last chapter. Really disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Heroes are my weakness, 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Heroes Are My Weakness: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Very disappointing. I loved SEP's other books but this isn't as quirky or gripping as her earlier novels. Such a shame

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Heroes Are My Weakness: A Novel (Kindle Edition)

It brought the romantic thriller into the 21st century in a very satisfying way. It was reminiscent of Elizabeth Peters writing as Barbara Michaels, and echoed earlier romantic thriller authors – Bronte, DuMaurier, Mary Stewart. A Maine island in winter, with its population of locals and summer people, is a great substitute for Dartmoor, providing the isolation necessary for this story.

I loved the puppets, and the way they let me understand the changing thoughts of the heroine in dialogue, not description. They and the ventriloquist skills of the heroine also played an important role in the plot.

I think that this is a great book, which deserves to become a classic of the genre.

3.0 out of 5 stars No worries a about this hero becoming a weakness of mine, 8 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Heroes Are My Weakness: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Oh dear -I was so excited about this book coming out.I discovered SEP a wee while ago and I loved most of her books.At best she is original,funny,light and her books bring one joy.This is not one of her best books.The hero is a big dweeb.To be fair his character is never really fully padded out and the story about him and his sister is silly (unworthy of SEP).

I suggest you leave this one on the shelf and we shall all look forward to the next book and a return to form.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my Favourites, 29 Aug. 2014
Amazon Customer (Harrogate, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heroes Are My Weakness: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I love most of Susan Elizabeth Phillips's books and this one is up there with my favourites (Call Me Irresistible, Match Me If You Can). and Natural Born Charmer).
When I read the synopsis about her puppets I was a little put off, but I have to say they really are relevant and don't distract from the enjoyment in anyway. A lot of reviewers say it's dark but I didn't find it so. It had the usual humour that I love from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Heroes Are My Weakness: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but I have read and enjoyed enough SEP's books that I took a leap of faith and bought it the moment it was released. Now 1 day later, totally sleep deprived, I can only say I am so glad I did.
This book was fantastic. Less comedy than some of her other books, but the characters felt really well written. For a puppet voice inside another character's head to feel real? That is some good writing. Theo is complex and multi dimensional and we the reader are allowed inside his thought process later on in the book. He reminded me of Ren in breathing room, a book and character I just adored. The big reveal of the childhood incidents wasn't much of a surprise I have to say, but credit to SEP, the perpetrator of the nasty tricks played on Annie was a surprise. In my mind I thought it would sister who wasn't really dead. Shows why she is the writer and I'm not. Overall I thought this book was one of her best ever written and will be re read many times I'm sure.
One last point Leo. Out of all of them I loved Leo. If you need a voice in your head, he's the one to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic book, 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Heroes Are My Weakness: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I have waited patiently for this new book and have not been disappointed. Another wonderful story with characters you love, like all of SEP`s book this one again transports you to a small community where you learn to love all the islanders but mostly you enjoy watching Annie and Theo`s story develop. Loved it and will give it a week and go back and read it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars ... am a huge fan but this did not read like one of her books it was depressing boring and ..., 1 Dec. 2014
Mary Turner "busybee books" (ireland) - See all my reviews
I am to forget SEP ever wrote this book I have read all of her other books and I am a huge fan but this did not read like one of her books it was depressing boring and totally unbelievable. Totes disapointed

Heroes Are My Weakness: A Novel