on 6 April 2014
This was bought in error, I wanted to read the book, not the review, and I certainly didn't want to pay for a review. Amazon should make it clearer that this is not the book.
Having said that, it was very easy to get a refund and buy the book instead.
on 13 March 2014
Bought this in error, thinking it was the book....never heard of being charged for a review before! Returned it for a refund and bought the kindle version of the real book for half the price.
on 2 March 2014
I was very disappointed after all the people who had told me how good it is. The first pages would be enough to make me put it down but I stuck with it because of what others had said. The story is excellent. The story-telling is quite good. The command of language and grammar is engaging. I thought we were going to gain some genuine, complex and meaningful insight into Liesel as a young woman in that situation. But no, nothing much beyond the usual "child" reading of character. Rudy is much better drawn. Max simply slips away just as you think you're getting a handle on his character. I had also expected the narrator to bring acute observations on the nature and meaning of death. But no, a repeated pattern of sorrow. I finished it feeling it presented itself as giving insight but failed miserably. But yes, it is readable.
on 6 January 2014
My daughter recommended this, and, as she normally reads factual and semi intellectual books, I was wary, but this is a lovely book with "Death" taking you all the way through WWII in an outskirt's town of Munich. It can be quite sad but it gives an alternative view of the war. The girl, as the title suggests, takes books, initially for the
sake of it, but more and more to educate herself. She is fostered by a reasonably middle-aged couple, who treat her kindly, especially the father who encourages this
while reading aloud to her, in what appear to be her insomniac periods. She makes friends in the town, and, like children everywhere get up to no good, stealing apples and food where they can. The book was written by an Australian, so whether his knowledge about being a German in WWII is accurate, is debatable, but we see the local
children throwing bread at the Jews when they are marched through the town on their way to, what we now know was hell, providing a little comfort where it is badly needed.
Great Book!!!
on 1 November 2014
I was foolish enough not to realise this was only a review of the book, and therefore a complete waste of money.
on 1 May 2014
I read many books and to be honest, most I forget all about rather quickly, not this wee gem! Beautifully told tale of World War II from a young German girls perspective. This book has everything including a heart warming humour throughout, absolutely adored it.
on 21 January 2014
I wanted to finish the book as I had started, but got bored towards the end. Found it a bit long winded!
on 18 February 2014
This book is truely wonderful. I couldnt put it down. It touched my heart with its story. It is the sort of book you miss reading when its finished.
on 4 April 2014
This review was a waste of time and money, as I could have bought the book itself for the same amount. I will borrow the book from the library. The review was also delivered late.
on 15 April 2014
I quite liked the book review although it's a really small book and doesn't say a great deal to persuade whether to read the actual book or not.