5.0 out of 5 stars This is the First Avenger kicked into Overdrive!
The movie is very well done - well acted, plotted, scripted - all of that. At over 2 hours I thought it might drag, but it does not. The pacing and mix of action to dialogue is just great.

Chris Evans is better here than in Avengers - with more scope to develop the character, he really brings it to life and I totally believed him as the Sentinel of Liberty. He...
Published 2 months ago by Matt Devney

3.0 out of 5 stars A Comic book action film with indistinguishable action
Honestly, I thought this film was decent, but nothing special. I was hoping for some truly amazing scenes, especially with the main villain being the Winter Solider!!!

Point 1: I saw The Raid 2 a week before I saw this film, and maybe I was heading in with high expectations since The Raid 2 blew me away with the action, story and cinematography (not to mention...
Published 1 month ago by Daniel K

5.0 out of 5 stars I saw it 8 times in the cinema and I'm seeing it again tomorrow.., 23 Jun 2014
Honestly I never thought much of the first Cap film. Maybe it was my difficulty to see Chris Evans as Cap when all I could think of was him in Fantastic Four.

However after loving Avengers so much (Saw that 8 times in the cinema too) and enjoying him as Cap in that, I decided to go see 2. I'd heard of the Winter Soldier being an amazing storyline from the comic so I thought why not? I regularly go to see films in the cinema whether I'm interested in them or not because I just enjoy going to the cinema.

Let me say, I was blown away by this film. I never thought I'd say it but I think I love this more than I loved Avengers, which is such high praise because there were so many talented actors in Avengers bouncing back in forth, it's what made it so loveable to me.

However, with noticeably less main characters in this film, it's succeeded in at least being on the same level as Avengers enjoyment wise.

I really took in how honest and genuine Steve Rogers is, and everything he stands for. Chris Evans does a wonderful job of being a very modest and pure man with strong values. I take films a bit too seriously, it's known, but I really felt everything he was feeling in it.

Anthony Mackie did a great job bringing too although I feel like I lack stuff to say about him without being a bit spoilery.

Scarlett Johannson did a great job again as Black Widow, she's such a pleasure to watch because I'm never sure of just exactly who Black Widow really is. Although in this film that does become a little clearer.

Samuel L Jackson, so many quotable things from his Nick Fury! Delivered some great comedy lines in this. Enjoyable as always.

The Winter Soldier himself however is my favourite of all. For a character with such few lines and a hidden face for half of it, I felt so much watching him. Also he just looked so goddamn cool. I am going as him for a Halloween party this year ;) I don't want to say too much about him, because once I start I probably won't stop and I don't want to ruin anything!

It seems a little slow at first but once it starts getting into the action the balance is fantastic.
The fight scenes were also just...fantastic. I adore great fight scenes in films and I was not disappointed.

Normally fight scenes go on too long or not long enough but they were perfect here. Of course typically I wish some had gone on longer just because they were so great to watch! But balance wise? They were perfect to me.

My favourite thing other than TWS himself, was the score. I've seen people criticise it for being "weird random noises" and so on.
Honestly I thought the score was fantastic, the patriotic (really giving off that *AMERICA* vibe) sounding strong orchestra for Steves moments. The robotic eerie industrial music for TWS.. It was perfect. I really love film scores so they are very important to me, and I listen to this one all the time.

God I just loved the whole film. There wasn't a bad actor in there. Even the most minor characters did fantastic jobs. It was definitely worth my money.
I'm so thrilled that it is on one final time in my cinema tomorrow.

I've probably hyped this up a lot but remember I didn't expect very much from this and even though I had TWS big spoiler told to me, I still felt all surprise I was meant to!

I don't buy Blu Rays often but I will be pre-ordering this. I don't know about Guardians of the Galaxy yet but this is definitely the best action film and generally the best film I've seen this year.

*There are 2 scenes at the end of the film by the way not just one!*

5.0 out of 5 stars "..BRILLIANT ACTION MOVIE COMIC BOOK SEQUEL..", 19 April 2014
S. Drury "SDX-800" (U.K) - See all my reviews
The original captain America was a great film but I think one of the least fun of marvel films of late but this sequel up the ante by miles I think more as it was set in present times, winter soldier is an amazing sequel and a solid action movie, one of marvels best new wave in the running avengers spin offs, Chris Evans is really fitting more comfortably into the role now and leads will a cool presence and has a good wit about him, Scarlett Johansson has a bigger black widow role in this which is great, such a beautiful sexy actress and a great strong female role, the story is strong and the winter soldier villain was well handled, this is an overall strong marvel movie and one of the best so far, a must for fans, great cast, big scale action and top notch effects!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best superhero film of all time, 31 May 2014
This was so unexpected, ive never seen a more consistent film, the pacing was spot on. The action was perfect and acting is the best ive seen in these films, the winter soldier was also a amazing character. Roll on 2016 for captain America 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best movie ever made, 22 April 2014
Captain America: The Winter Soldier is an amazing movie with a solid story and incredible performances by the actors.
Finally a huge blockbuster with lots of action and no useless romance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trust no one, 26 Mar 2014
Mr. R. W. Graham (Lincoln, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
After events in The Avengers, Steve Rogers has joined SHIELD which has come under attack from the mysterious assassin The Winter Soldier while Steve adapts to life in the present day. Marvel phase 2 has become more confident now that the origin stories are out of the way though the next film will be Guardians Of The Galaxy which will introduce a new cosmic team of heroes. Darker in tone than previous Marvel films, this is bassically James Bond in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and also a SHIELD movie as well as a Captain America movie though there are the odd moments of humour but nothing as laugh out loud funny as previous films. Tense and action packed with some surprises with very good performances from Chris Evans as Captain America, Scarlett Johannsson as Black Widow who is crying out for a solo movie and may very well get one, Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury and Robert Redford as SHIELD boss Alexander Pierce while Anthony Mackie is a welcome new hero with Falcon. The identity of villain The Winter Soldier won't be a shock to anyone who has read the Captain America comics but could be a shock to casual movie fans or those that just like the movies and as usual there are 2 additional scenes after the end credits setting up future films.

4.0 out of 5 stars Captain America: World Police, 29 Jun 2014
As the Marvel superhero with the richest history, and linch-pin of The Avengers, Captain America was perhaps the most eagerly-awaited of the comic book behemoth's properties to come to the big screen. The First Avenger resoundingly delivered on Cap's pathos, even pulling off the re-branding Chris Evans from hothead Johnny Storm to the steel-nerved Steve Rogers, chief among an across-the-board casting masterclass, from the spunky Hayley Atwell, thru square-jawed Sebastian Stan; gravel-toned Tommy Lee Jones; specky Toby Jones; via fatherly Stanley Tucci; and dashing Dominic Cooper to Hugo Weaving's devilishly evil Red Skull. Joe Johnston's film nicely evoked a never-say-die attitude and drab wartime aesthetic to the benefit of it's jarring final scenes. So how to follow TFA's success? The challenge was to now deal with a contemporary Cap, and directors The Russos (from the screenplay by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely - who also penned The First Avenger) manage that with aplomb, not laying on the 'this is weird' shtick too thickly, while still reminding us where Cap has come from. But easily the smartest thing that they did was side-stepping the heroic trappings and big CGI (at least until the second half) to adopt the trappings of the political thriller, to great success. Why make a superhero movie at all? Why indeed, and to this end the presence of Robert Redford is a masterstroke. Scarlett Johansson is also on great form and sparks nicely with Chris Evan's Cap, while Sam Jackson's Nick Fury gets more to do in any Marvel appearance so far as the web of lies plays out. We can only hope that Avengers 2 and Cap 3 can bring such a fresh approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Phase 2 of Marvel, 10 Jun 2014
This is simply the best Marvel movie of Phase 2 and one of the best Marvel movies ever made. It really improves on the first Captain America movie in almost every respect. Better action, better characters and a much better villain in the Winter Soldier. It carries on events from The Avengers with Captain in the modern world and it is one hell of an entertaining ride! If you have loved Marvel's movies up until now, then you should like this movie! Strongly recommend you check it out!

4.0 out of 5 stars saw it at cinema when released, excellent film, 2 May 2014
watched this film when it first came out in the cinema, it was well worth watching. it makes more use of the helicarriers and shield as seen in the avengers film and also resurrects hydra in a rather cool way. the film is filled with plot twists some of which you may expect but all of which are still enjoyable. the overall story line is that hydra is attempting a takeover of shield and has infiltrated much of the organisation, the red skull is not back but the scientist who collaborated with him is. captain america must evade his own colleagues to put a stop to hydra's world domination plans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvel just keep them coming, 11 April 2014
This movie shows The cap's full potential as a hero and his abilities. Before going into the movie I was told shocks and twists. Winter solider I already knew due to comics the end credit was nothing special. As for hydra like top agents had no clue of a secret club going through sheild? Falcon I think was just thrown in the mix for some fan boy excitement he really had no part to play in the movie. The action comes at a steady pace and is full of great scenes. Not quite 5 star as minor issues lose a star for me. Better than 1 .

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb in pretty much every way!, 31 Mar 2014
I was really impressed by this instalment. The writing, acting, action, pacing, character development, the Winter Soldier himself, the twists and turns and just the overall scope of this film is awesome. Because of these aspects, the film rarely ever slows down and keeps things moving at a fast and engaging pace. This is definitely the darkest and grittiest of all the Marvel films I have seen so far. The strongest point is the action. The choreography of the hand-to-hand combat is outstanding. This film has some of the best action I've ever seen, not just in a superhero film, but also films in general. The film is incredibly interesting and keeps you on the edge of your seat. It even has an emotional core towards the end, which makes it even greater.

Overall, I was thoroughly entertained by Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I may get some disagreement with this, but I think this is better than The Avengers, purely because of the darker and grittier tone and the fact that the film keeps you guessing throughout. It's my favourite Marvel film thus far.

I would give CA: TWS a 9.5/10.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free]