Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

Published 2 months ago by Stewart Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars ... am 80yrs old and have had Cap as my favourite comic book character since I was a small boy, 21 Aug 2014
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I am 80yrs old and have had Cap as my favourite comic book character since I was a small boy. I lived in Liverpool then and we were being bombed heavily but we were able to get American Comic Books via the ships which survived their journey. I remember wishing then that these coloured super heroswere real and would free us from this Nazi tyranny. I applaud the gent who has arranged for Cap to be renewed and this film is full of the amazing action and movement which I could not have envisaged as a boy. It's just great watch it and enjoy it for what it is meant to be. To quote Jon Hendricks / Annie Ross " don't just dig it stay cool and wig it".

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same from Marvel., 23 Aug 2014
Richard Morton (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This is another slice of big budget, all action Marvel carnage. I enjoyed it and and I'd think if you've enjoyed Marvels recent output, you probably will too.

The film picks up a couple of years after the chaos of Avengers Assemble and finds Cap still adjusting to life in the modern world. He doesn't have time to dwell though as things kick off big style pretty quickly - a tale of espionage, world domination, assassination and of course super heroes follows. It flys along at fair old pace from the outset from one action set piece to the next with a few quieter character beats in between.

As well as Cap, Nick Fury and Black Widow return and The Falcon is introduced - I was intrigued as to how they would convincingly introduce the character and to be fair they've done a pretty good job. The titular Winter Soldier joins the fun as well and is another good creation. Readers of the comics will most likely already know his identity and story arch, I felt his introduction fitted the plot pretty well.

It works as a standalone movie of course but there are various seeds set for future films, including the next Avengers flick. Stick around for the end credits, there are two epilogues to be found.

5.0 out of 5 stars FITS OF FURY, 11 April 2014
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
NO PLOT SPOILERS.

In this film Captain America (Chris Evans) is attempting to catch up. He is losing some of the dorkiness which made him lovable. He teams up with the Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) because she tested well with male audiences in the 8 to 80 age bracket. Iron Man is mentioned, but it seems the rest of the Avengers on on vacation during the struggle for humanity.

This film has a decent plot (i.e. fitting bad guys for good guys) with a good mix of action and drama. It even has some light moments such as when our twosome are among some old computers and Black Widow does her 1983 "WarGames" voice and proclaims, "Shall we play a game?" Of course Captain America can't catch the humor.

Great popcorn film that explodes on the screen. I enjoyed this more than the recent Thor film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Addition to the franchise, 29 Aug 2014
Captain America is on of my favourite Marvel characters. So forgive the bias - One could argue I'll be more critical!
The premise is good in that the director of SHIELD, Nick Fury, is apparently responsible for corruption within the institution - an institution Steve Rogers opposes. There are some good tensions stressed between the characters which should have been developed further in relationship to their history and agenda's.
If you do not spot the bad guy within the first half hour you've slept through the first half hour. The plot is a little obvious and we know what will happen but the action sequences and dialogue keep you hooked.
There are some corny jokes but all in the spirit of the Marvel comics so it stays true to the source.
I feel the writers need to develop Scarlett's character further as the femme fatale - she could have her own film as a backstory to help us understand her history.
The acting was good, the plot was OK, the script was great. All in all an enjoyable addition to the Marvel Universe.
Of course Iron Man would have saved the day quicker, with less casualties, by himslef and still have time for shawarma!

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain America hits his stride, 17 Sep 2014
Maybe the best pure superhero since Superman the Movie. Unlike his smarmy portrayal of Johnny Storm in The Fantastic Four, Chris Evans delivers a nuanced, moving and sincere one here as Steve Rogers. Now in the present, which to him is the future, he struggles to adapt and forget the past. There is a touching scene with Peggy Carter that is rare in a film like this.
The story is essentially about Hydra destroying SHIELD from within, slowly taking over the organization (which should be oddly and ironically similar to some areas of Europe, including Great Britain). Robert Redford is terrific as the bad guy, and I hope that doesn't ruin any surprises. The 'Winter Soldier' is also well done. I won't say any more about him. Scarlet Johanson is better this go around as The Black Widow. She fits the role better and there is a nice 'friendly' chemistry with Evans.
Nice to Emily VanCamp, too in a small but memorable role.
This is a harsh film with plenty of violence. It earns the PG-13 rating.
The action is as well done as any I've seen. My favorite is the elevator scene. But once the action gets going, it is fast and furious.
The only recent 'superhero' film I've seen I've liked as much is Dredd.
This one's a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, great fun., 11 Oct 2014
Mr. M. Herbert "Bowmore" (Scotland uk) - See all my reviews
Wow ! Huge expectations after the highly favourable reviews to date, but this film definitely met them all. Great story. Great action, great one-liners, great characters. Yes, a great film. Not faultless, true, some of the scenes really do stretch the imagination and credibility, even in a film of this genre, but it is honest enough to keep on entertaining the viewer. I find Captain America a slightly dull character to be honest, but the injections of Black Widow et al. lift the film nicely. This is a very good follow up to Avengers and I look forward to Avengers 2 now. Good film all round, fun, entertaining, even better in Blu-ray !

4.0 out of 5 stars 'TRUST NO-ONE' (GREAT VISUAL ENTERTAINMENT), 19 Aug 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Captain America: The Winter Soldier [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
'S.H.I.E.L.D' becomes compromised by an old enemy, 'Nick Fury' with no-one else he can trust turns to 'Captain America' (Chris Evans) to step up again,
Mankind itself could be at risk if the subversive organization get the upper-hand.
'Captain America' will need help from 'Natasha(Black Widow)Romanoff' (Scarlett Johansson)
Have 'S.H.I.E.L.D' turned on it's own ? Agent 'Nick Fury' (Samuel L Jackson) is pursued barely escaping, pursued again and left for dead.
'The Captain' and 'Natasha' have a formidable enemy in 'Hydra' who have a powerful weapon
in the shape of 'The Winter Soldier' (Sebastian Stan) the deadliest enemy the 'Captain' has had to
face.
It seems that those at the very top of 'S.H.I.E.L.D' including 'Alexander Pierce'(Robert Redford)have an agenda that has very little to do with the organization they front, in fact, completely the opposite, as is demonstrated as 'Captain America' and 'Black Widow' are a target to be eliminated leaving no-one to stop 'Hydra' from imposing it's will.
The 'Captain' and 'Natasha' are joined in their quest by former war-veteran 'Sam Wilson' (The Falcon) (Anthony Mackie) the question is, have they met their match ?
The Three may need a guardian-angel to enable them continue the fight, a fight that's still to come..
'Hydra' are planning to use 'S.H.I.EL.D's' high-tech weaponry to fulfill it's evil intent, can the 'Captain' 'Black Widow' and 'Falcon' stop 'Hydra' with the help of the trusted and informed 'S.H.I.E.L.D' members, and will once friend of 'Captain America' - 'Bucky Barnes' (The Winter Soldier) remember the friendship they once shared ?
Thrills and spills a plenty in this action-packed, special effects spectacular.....superbly entertaining !!!
A must see, whether on 3-D - Blu-ray - or DVD.
Great picture and sound quality throughout (Superb 3-D)
Special Features - (In HD picture and sound)
* Commentary by 'Joe and Anthony Russo' and 'Christopher Marcus' and 'Stephen Mcfeely'
* Gag Reel
* Deleted Scenes : In pursuit of Captain America, Hill and Sitwell Talk Loyalty, Nick Fury's Circle,
Widow reveals her past.
* Featurette : on the front line : inside look at Captain America's Battlegrounds, on-set with Anthony
Mackie : Cut the Check, Steve Roger's notebook.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must watch, 25 Sep 2014
I went to see this film on opening night, not high expectations, however, expecting a good film nonetheless. I was surprised at how good this film really is. It has an amazing combination or fantastic acting, a great story, unexpected plot twists and it keeps you fully entertained the whole way through.

From the outset, we are given action. This film is not slow, it's really well paced and will never leave you bored. This, in my opinion, is a big step up from Captain America: First Avenger, as that film was quite slow with it trying to set up Captain America as a whole. However, this film is the complete opposite. It's not the light hearted first film, its a real action story with plot twists and a dark story-line.

You can never complain about the acting in the Marvel films, it's always good. Chris Evans is playing Captain America very well. His development as Captain America is fantastic, taking him from the 1940's to the present day, he really makes you feel and understand his difficult transition. Scarlett Johansson's acting is, as usual, amazing and the same applies for Samuel L Jackson.

Overall, this is one of the best Marvel films to date and it will be up there with The Guardians of the Galaxy and the Avengers for a long while to come. It's an action film first, but it doesn't forget about great storytelling and real acting. A must watch for any Marvel fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars "...Trust No One..." - Captain America: The Winter Soldier on BLU RAY, 22 Aug 2014
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
When I sat watching the first Captain America film ("The First Avenger") in 2011 - I was laughing and cringing - for all the wrong reasons. I thought it was one of the weakest Marvel adaptations I'd seen. Sure it was entertaining in places and it featured the stunning Hayley Atwell (enough to make most men weak at the knees and nervous in other extremities) and even had a silly looking Nazi bad guy as the fist of an evil organization called "Hydra" (Hugo Weaving). Well someone seems to have lit a match under the "Captain America" team - because outing number two "The Winter Soldier" absolutely rocks like few other blockbusters have.

The action sets pieces are quite brilliant right from the get go and they don't let up until the gobsmacking building-destroying ending. Throw in two top class sidekicks in the shape of Andrew Mackie and the luscious Scarlett Johansson and things sizzle rather than simper. Scarlett is fabulous in this - running around in a tight rubber outfit kicking the crap out of rogue mercenaries as her straight hair remains perfect and her chest pert whilst casually cracking jokes about Captain America's lovelife (or lack of it). Robert Redford and Samuel L. Jackson play the head's of SHIELD - an organization that protects America and the whole world from people who aren't very nice - bosses that came up together but may have differing leanings in their latter years. And Sebastian Stan gives us a believable and fearsome longhaired nemesis called "The Winter Soldier" with a steel arm and the same super-human strength of Captain America (but unfortunately not the same clean-cut American barber).

You can literally feel the work and effort that went into this - the choreography of the fight scenes alone must have taken months of prep - the jokes are good - the sexy tension between Evans and Johansson and the other lovelies (Cobie Smulders and Emily Van Camp) serves rather than detracts - and Chris Evans looks so good you could lick him in public and feel ok about it.

A clever plot sees CA combatting a compromised SHIELD with someone on the inside about to target 20 million key civilians with unstoppable flying fortresses and replace their flabby asses and democracy with modern-day Nazism (hail Hydra). Toby Jones' sicko brain gets all computer-manic and there's even a super-cool reference to Marvin Gaye's brilliant "Trouble Man" Soundtrack from December 1972 on Tamla. All this - and Marvin Gaye! What's not to love!

The BLU RAY picture quality is state-of-the-art, the sound mix will rattle your neighbour's lean-to and the extras are plentiful. Is it any wonder "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" is a number-one bestseller on the BR chart. Rent or buy it and thoroughly enjoy the ride...

3.0 out of 5 stars Its OK for a bit ot light entertainment and the special effects are good, but I'm getting tired of these formulaic hollywood, 11 Oct 2014
Giving it a 3 these reviews need a balance. Its OK for a bit ot light entertainment and the special effects are good, but I'm getting tired of these formulaic hollywood, heavily choreographed violent movies.Even if it is supposed to be a bit of escapism. If you saw the first one this is much the same. I couldn't sit through it and found myself doing other stuff while it was on. I was surprised to see Robert Redford in it. I won't be watching it again.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free]