5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud at midnight.
Although I have no aspirations to be anyone's husband I have just spent the last week reading this and laughing loudly each night in bed, well into the wee small hours, while simultaneously shaking my own husband awake to read paragraphs and pages to him...... In particular those bits where I recognised him.... Loved it and think his wife sounds fantastic....
Published 11 months ago by Tracy Marshall

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as sharp as the Guardian columns...
Published 5 months ago by Lutz Svensson

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud at midnight., 11 Jun. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and true, 4 Jun. 2014
This review is from: How to Be a Husband (Kindle Edition)
Hilarious, honest look at family life and marriage. Beautifully written too. If you love Tim Dowling's Guardian columns, you won't be disappointed. Bloody marvellous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 10 Jun. 2014
This review is from: How to Be a Husband (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. Laughed out loud A LOT. If you enjoy Tim Dowling's magazine columns, this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The mystery of marriage, 23 Dec. 2014
Jeremy Walton (Sidmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How to Be a Husband (Paperback)
I first came across Tim Dowling as the author of a hilarious piece describing how he came to join a "middle-aged man band" (the difference between which and a boy band being that "the biggest technical hitches come when no one remembers to bring reading glasses"). His wife was mentioned in passing as being openly alarmed that he might have been having a midlife crisis. In this book, she moves to centre stage as Dowling tries to describe what he's learnt about being a husband and father.

His tone is relentlessly self-deprecating (chapter 4, for example, is called "How to be wrong"), which probably isn't a bad thing when you're trying to deal with the give and take of a relationship, even if it's exaggerated for comic effect. For example, that chapter opens: "Take a moment to cast your eyes around my domain: this blasted promontory, wracked by foul winds, devoid of life, of cheer, of comfort. This is my special place - my fortress of solitude. I've been coming here on and off for the last twenty years. Welcome, my friend, to the moral high ground. [...] It's like a VIP room for idiots." [p57]. His ability to slip jokes like that in under the radar can cause the unsuspecting reader to suddenly snort with laughter. Here's another example [p82]:

"I hate having dinner parties," says my wife.
"You're not supposed to say that while everyone's still here," I say, indicating our guests.

In between the laughs however, there's some serious stuff about commitment, complements (and compliments), and the changing role of men in society (Dowling and his wife have three sons). It's not intended to be a how-to guide, but I learned a lot from it - perhaps you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excessively funny, 11 Jun. 2014
This review is from: How to Be a Husband (Paperback)
Anyone who has ever been in a long term relationship and/or had children should read this. Made me laugh out loud even though I was reading it on a rush hour bus in London where laughing is not a normal modality to adopt.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tim Dowling's Column - the fat version., 6 July 2014
This review is from: How to Be a Husband (Paperback)
Tim Dowling is a great journalist, I always head for his wry observational column on a Saturday first. I follow him on my Guardian app for that reason, and his TV reviews are pretty good too.
This is the first Tim Dowling book I've read however, although I now gather there are a few more. This book has a similar tone to his column, so I obviously found his self-deprecation hugely enjoyable as per usual, however concentrating on that sixth formish self-awareness for a whole book proved a bit more difficult than the satisfying morsels provided on Saturdays. So, this, for me, is a book to dip in and out of. If you like his column you'll like this and if you've never read his column then I'd head over to the Guardian and treat it as a bit of a trailer before you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crying with laughter, 26 Jun. 2014
This review is from: How to Be a Husband (Paperback)
I normally give books to Oxfam once read. This one is staying. Do not want it to end. Keep trying to read excerpts out to my own husband but can't because I am to convulsed with mirth to get the words out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 20 Jun. 2014
J. L. Wood "NavyBaby" (Floating Tin Can) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Be a Husband (Kindle Edition)
An absolutely brilliantly witty and insightful look at married life, and i couldnt fault it for being hilarious. Ill still never stop laughing at 'depressed question mark'. I know of someone who does the exact same; such an apt description!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for men, 24 Jan. 2015
This review is from: How to Be a Husband (Kindle Edition)
A must read for all sons before making the blind leap of faith into marriage and fatherhood
A must read for all husbands and dads confirming we are not alone sharing the same symptoms and reassuring that the prognosis is most likely positive

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as sharp as the Guardian columns..., 22 Dec. 2014
Lutz Svensson (Deptford, London, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Be a Husband (Paperback)
Aaaaah, this isn't going to be a popular opinion, I can tell... but I just found this rather a 'thin' read. Am fond of TD's Guardian column... but his writing style (to my mind, at least...) doesn't really adapt to the broader canvas, and although there's a sort of thematic autobiography to (loosely) cajole Tim's observations into 'book' form, there's not much meat on his 'husband' thesis and the whole thing starts feeling distinctly aimless by about halfway through.

There are a few wry smiles en route, of course... and it's eminently readable, with moments of joy... but 'How To Be A Husband' is a heck of a title to live up to, and I honestly don't think this does the job.

How to Be a Husband