5.0 out of 5 stars The geek rocks
Woo hoo! Harriet Manners is back in a gut-wrenchingly hilarious third book!
Harriet has a simple plan for the summer:
Get exam results
Go back to school
Phone Nick regularly
Avoid Alexa
But then her parents throw the bombshell at her and Harriet has to give up everything she loves... the Manners are moving to NY!
This book, as well as...
Published 10 months ago by mazzo

3.5 stars.

Harriet is still Harriet - kooky, eccentric, loveable.
But this time the formula is starting to wear.

Published 8 months ago by K. J. Noyes

5.0 out of 5 stars The geek rocks, 6 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Picture Perfect (Geek Girl, Book 3) (Geek Girl Series) (Kindle Edition)
Woo hoo! Harriet Manners is back in a gut-wrenchingly hilarious third book!
Harriet has a simple plan for the summer:
Get exam results
Go back to school
Phone Nick regularly
Avoid Alexa
This book, as well as being funny, is also quite serious. Harriet hasn't seen her boyfried since, like, FOREVER, and she can't wait to see him again. But when Nick forgets her birthday, Harriet begins to wonder... is her boyfriend really who she thinks he is? Has she romanticized him?
Throw in a new modelling job, an over-eager teen stylist who disapproves of Nick, a boy who seems almost too good to be true, and of course the ridiculous antics of Wilbur Evans, and there you have it.
Geek Girl Book 3, Picture Perfect.
Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Everyone's favourite Geek and her much-loved entourage are back, 8 Aug. 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
3.5 stars.

Harriet is still Harriet - kooky, eccentric, loveable.
But this time the formula is starting to wear.

Set soon after the second book, when our adorable heroine has quit modelling. It's GCSE results time. Harriet and her friends are all nervous about their futures. But where is Nick on Harriet's important day? And why are her parents putting their belongings in boxes?

Her happy little world is about to get turned upside down. And just how Harriet copes with it is what readers of this series will be keen to see.

Except it felt a bit forced to me. It's 400 pages but it feels like very little actually happens. Alexa does her usual and initiates problems for Harriet. Nick hardly appears, smoulders from across the world and leaves Harriet to wonder how he feels about her (even though they are 'diary official' boyfriend/girlfriend). And you thought her modelling career was over? Well, where would the books be without her clumsy attempts to infiltrate the fashion world with her factoids and terrible dress sense?

Everything makes it's check listed appearance. And I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it. I love Harriet. And I always learn lots of interesting facts from these books. But it felt almost like half a book, and bitty. We see her friends, her family, a tutor plot, a secret modelling assignment, boyfriend trouble, but it's all quite quick and fast-moving from one to the other. Harriet learns some lessons (with sudden moments of revelation after some quite stunningly naive and suggestible decisions) and stumbles uncannily back to where you want her. The plot comes to an end when I thought it was just taking off.

I have to say, I just love Harriet's parents. They are my favourite characters. I want them to be my parents! A wonderful double act who could have their own spinoff. Toby is underused this time around, as is Nat. And Nick is just eye candy really (and also unrealistic in one sense - he's seventeen and never pushes Harriet beyond a kiss? Shows the age of the intended market I think). But he is sweet.

Anyway, those are my rambling thoughts. I love Ms Manners. I will probably still read book 4 as there are many aspects I love about this series. I recommend it to library readers already, aged 11-14. And I think it has a lot of merit. But it's not the best of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit!, 9 Dec. 2014
Review: another hit from holly Smale, I love this series and couldn't wait to get my hands on this one, plus it was in beautiful hardback. Now that does mean that it doesn't match my other GG books but it is gorgeous and has some beautiful glasses on the actual cover itself, not that we judge books by their covers of course!

This story starts with a bang just like the others and the rest of the storyline carries on from there bringing mishaps and mayhem all the way through. There are some genuinely laugh out loud moments, as we can expect from this writer, but also some real aww moments and some times where Harriet gets herself in a fair amount of bother! The wonderful thing about this particular storyline is that it's all set around New York which makes for some fab NYC moments and a bit of romance on the Brooklyn Bridge too!

Harriet really excels in this latest novel. She is about to turn 16 and this really is a coming of age novel for her. She is still just as clueless when it comes to real life, despite her head for facts and figures but over the course of this novel we see her rebelling just a little bit more. I really liked her for this and it made for some excellent comedy moments! Nicks really comes into his own in the book too, he features a lot more heavily and is a bit of a grounding influence when it comes to Harriet. Of course Wilbur returns in this book, we love him and it wouldn't be the same without him and Harriet's parents also play a slightly bigger part this time. Because most of the novel is set in New York, we don't see as much of Harriet's friends from back home but they are ever present on the end of a phone, or in emails sent back and forth-lovely!

Overall this was just a really fun read. With a Geek Girl novel you know you are going to get some really funny moments, almost slapstick comedy but with a strong moral message and a strong feminist message as well. Harriet seems to be struggling with the feminist issue more in this novel, but it really comes through in the end. The book is well rounded, pacey and just a really good read. I think it would work as a stand alone but it would definitely recommending reading the previous two books first because they are both awesome in themselves!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great., 19 Jun. 2014
I've read the past two Geek Girl books in the series and I did enjoy them. I was slightly let down by this book however, I feel like it didn't have much of a story line. It was kind of like lots of events and thoughts crammed into a book. Also, it was surprisingly short; I found myself getting to the end within two days and wondering where the book had gone. I think I was still waiting for something to happen which was slightly disappointing and the ending was not the best it could've been. I did enjoy the book, I found it quite refreshing and that it was easy for young girls to relate to. It also included many facts that were interesting and gave the book a unique quality. I may be slightly saddened by the second sequel but I would recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Picture Perfect by Holly Smale, 31 Jan. 2015
The Geek Girl series has to be one of my all time favourite Middle Grade series. I adore Harriet Manners. She's super smart, hilarious and a model - she's just such an amazing main character. Picture Perfect was another fantastic book from Holly Smale that had me laughing out loud at all the hilarious situations Harriet found herself in.

So in Picture Perfect Harriet has been out of modelling for quite a while and is enjoying spending time with her friends again. So when her father drops the news that they'll be moving to New York, Harriet isn't particularly over the moon. But when it seems like her friends can't wait for her to go, Harriet decides to embrace the move. When Wilbur phones and asks Harriet to come for a modelling job, she jumps at the chance. But Harriet gets herself into trouble with the people she loves the most and attracts the attention of a guy who isn't her boyfriend.

Harriet is one of my favourite characters. She's a geek and she embraces it. Harriet is determined to have a fantastic time in New York, but when everything seems to keep going wrong, she decides to go off on her own and have her own New York adventure. She's hilarious, smart and such an interesting character. I adore her.

I adored her adventures in New York - even if they did get her into quite a bit of trouble. Harriet is so determined to have a fantastic time that she goes to any lengths to do it. I loved seeing Harriet and Nick together because they're just so adorable. Harriet allows herself to be influenced by another girl who says she's trying to help Harriet, but Harriet only ends up hurting people and getting herself into even more trouble.

The ending was adorable and I honestly can't wait for the next installment! I need more Harriet Manners in my life!

Overall, Picture Perfect was another fantastic installment in the Geek Girl series. I was laughing throughout the whole book and it's probably my favourite one so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Picture perfect, 25 Jun. 2014
So far I have read every single book in this series I think they are all absolutely amazing and educational at the same time because the amount of new facts that are in this book is extraordinary. Please read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun story, 7 Oct. 2014
amgp2 "amgp2" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I haven't read this book myself, but my daughter is loving it. My daughter likes to read but only when a book engages her and this one does. Otherwise getting her to read, can be a real battle!
It is an easy read for quite times after homework and before bed, she loved the previous 2 books in the series as well. It is a continuation of Geek Girls adventures, but this time her travels are not for modelling.....
Its a fun book for that in between age, when they are too big for kids books and not quite there for teenage books.

5.0 out of 5 stars would definitly recomend this book, 10 Aug. 2014
i love this book as i can really realate to it . it has helped me work out that even though im a geek and have a bit of a wild personality i just need to help people take a step to see who i really am. this series is amazing and even though they are really fast reads they have amazing stories. i am not a very fast reader and managdd to finish each one in about two days. cant wait for the next book!!!would ddfinitly recomend

5.0 out of 5 stars Sooooooooooooo good, 7 Aug. 2014
I absolutely love this book. It is. full of lot of different things like romance and Like 'what is she doing' I don't want to spoil anything Caleb is a huge jerk. I'm so disappointed I've finished it and I can't wait for her to release a new geek girl (please do, I bought this one the week it was released!) I'm 12 and I absolutely LOVED IT! It perfect for anyone at any age. Ps. WHY IS HARRIET SO SMART!

5.0 out of 5 stars US of Amazing, 20 July 2014
I have read the first two books in this series and I have loved them both. But this one is the best book ever. Love, friendship and shocks all come in this daring tale. Harriet Manners is still the geeky teenager she was but this time she feels grown up. Unfortunately for Harriet things don't go according to her plans. As I said before, I loved this book and I hope Holly writes another Geek Girl book!