5.0 out of 5 stars Offers something a bit different in the genre...
Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy.

Published 12 months ago by Liz Wilkins

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 at most
Published 12 months ago by Elaine Tomasso

5.0 out of 5 stars Offers something a bit different in the genre..., 15 May 2014
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy.

So. Crime novels featuring new detectives – so many of them out there. Some brilliant, some not bad, some mediocre and some, lets face it, truly terrible. Not often you come across one that has a bit of an edge, a cut above, something a little different. The last time for me was when I read Sarah Hilary’s brilliant debut “Someone Elses Skin” and there was Marnie Rome. Now Alex Howard brings us DI Hanlon – so meet my new favourite detective…

She’s not that likeable. But I loved her. She not always that trustworthy. But you would want her on your side. She has an inate sense of justice and doesnt really care that much for the rules. If you get on her radar beware – yet if you gain her trust and her loyalty she will fight for you until her last breath. It is wonderful to see a strong independant female character that actually is exactly that – warts and all, no need to worry about whether or not she is “feminine” enough in her actions. DI Hanlon is what she is. And what that would be is a marvellous character to follow into a dark and sinister tale of missing children…

This is an emotive story, featuring as it does children in peril, but it is brilliantly done, authentic and doesnt pull any punches. There is an intriguing depth here, over and above a standard “police procedural”, that gives you a real feeling for the people involved, victims and villains alike, somewhere in the middle being the Police force with all its politics and shenanigans. And hovering over it all, kind of like on that magnificent cover art, is Hanlon who’s razor sharp focus cares only about the job in hand. Some absolutely fascinating insights here and all beautifully written in a way that immerses you right into the world and lets you live there for the duration.

Now Hanlon may be front and centre, the glue that holds it all together, but there are no cardboard characters here. Her boss, the superbly enigmatic Corrigan is terrifically compelling. Enver Demirel is “the good guy” in an eccentric and marvellous sense, and all the people you meet along the way have something to add to the whole. The story twists and turns its way to an edge of the seat conclusion and overall this was a scintillating and heartfelt reading experience.

Definitely comes highly recommended from me.

Happy Reading Folks!

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 at most, 28 May 2014
Elaine Tomasso (Troon. Uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Time to Die (The DI Hanlon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I obviously haven't read the same book as the other reviewers as I found this to be not much more than an average read. I'm sure I've read a similar plot before (Thomas Harris did the pigs much better) but I can't remember what it is, DI Hanlon is a psychopath and would never have passed the Met psych tests never mind be a plausible character and the author's style of writing is not to my taste as I feel he overemphasises things to the point that I kept saying to myself - yes, I got it the first time. I did finish the book but it took me ages as it was fairly clear what was going to happen and the how was not enough to intrigue me and pull me in for a marathon read.

5.0 out of 5 stars My kind of Police!, 1 Jun. 2014
Wow - read this one in one go, could not put down! Thank god no love interest, just get the bad guys, what ever it takes. Amazing that this was a female lead, really impressed with the story line and characters, went looking to read the others in the DI Hanlon series, where are they?? Whens the next book?

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to Die ( The DO Hamlin Series) By Alex Howard, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Time to Die (The DI Hanlon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
A brilliant story line with twists and turns that were unexpected, just couldn't put it down. Can't wait to read the next one in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 23 May 2014
Ms. C. Simpson "Cazhappy" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Time to Die (The DI Hanlon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book and a new female detective that has a lot of spunk and gritty determination that I like.I hope this is the first book of many and I will definitely be reading more of this author's books.I will be looking forward to the next one.I could not put it down and I read it in two days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Read with Solid Prose, 20 July 2014
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Time to Die (The DI Hanlon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
What many people tend to forget is that within stories, are that there are more people within the story than just the principle character. They need fleshing out and have to feel real to the people in the background looking into this world. It’s a tricky line to tread and whilst you don’t have much time to get it done without it feeling like your bogging the story down with unnecessary baggage it is still something that has to be done in order to get the tale across.

Whilst I wasn’t a huge fan of the lead character here, I did love the way that Alex has managed to generate a whole host of supporting cast that feel as real as DI Hanlon. It also has great pace and whilst the subject is horrific within, its something that helps bring it all back to the reader as real world meets fiction in an intense investigation. It has some solid police work within, the reader is given a glimpse behind the curtain and all round with the dialogue it works very well for me as a reader. Back this up with a solid understanding of prose and all round it’s a cracking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Time to Die (The DI Hanlon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Really good read. Loved the characters. Totally believed the story and cannot wait for the next one. I will be recommending this book to friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars great first novel, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Time to Die (The DI Hanlon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
First rate characters, the story speeds along at a fast pace. DI Hanlon has earned her place in the list of top police detectives. Can't wait for no.2

5.0 out of 5 stars Female lead in a Luther-esque novel, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Time to Die (The DI Hanlon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Alex Howard has created a great female lead, in a story that is as much about character as it is about the crime. he creates two lead characters that are so well rounded without ever over describing them. each reader will view Hanlon slightly differently leading me to feel a connection to the character. She's not likable and her actions are driven by a vengeance that makes her even more distant. however, she is redeemed by her interactions with the other characters.

sequel please Mr Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars Visceral, violent thriller which races along, propelled by an excellent new heroine, 22 May 2014
Marius Gabriel "Author" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Time to Die (The DI Hanlon Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Move over, Inspector Morse! This is a classic police thriller which grabs you by the throat from the first page and doesn't let up the tension until the cataclysmic finale. Plenty of blood, sadism, violence, villains and suspense along the way. The author is interested in many things, and manages to interest the reader, too. Alex Howard can only get better and better -- like his principal character, DI Hanlon, who may remind older readers of Modesty Blaise!

An excellent debut novel which I hope will be succeeded by many more in the same vein.