5.0 out of 5 stars Who are we to take the take the moral high ground?
Published 11 months ago by J Phillips

3.0 out of 5 stars Steel City Thriller
An enjoyable (if that's the right word) thriller. In Middlesbrough a heroin addicted prostitute shoots a man dead, in Sheffield a man shoots his family and burns down the house - two different crimes but what links them?

Published 2 months ago by Andy Angel

5.0 out of 5 stars Who are we to take the take the moral high ground?, 26 May 2014
J Phillips "bookworm" (UK) - See all my reviews
Ben Cheetham's latest crime thriller grabbed my attention from page 1 and held it right to the end. This is a page-turner that rocks along at cracking pace. Like the previous reviewer I too felt an immediate empathy with Angel, the main protagonist. She has arrived at a point in her life where enough is enough and she decides to do something about it. The results are violent and gory but somehow there is a perverse justification in her actions.

Angel isn't the only character to present the reader with moral dilemmas. Jaded cop Jim Monahan also has some tough decisions to make in his relentless quest for justice. His 'final solution' brings a satisfying twist to the end of the story.

In Angel of Death the writer never flinches from dealing with the nastiest and most disturbing topics. He explores those moral dilemmas we all face from time to time; about how we feel certain elements of society should be dealt with and how our law enforcers are affected by the horrors they deal with.

This is the fourth Ben Cheetham book I've read and it's great to see the way his writing has developed; this is the best to date and I look forward to the next one with eager anticipation.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't put it down!, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Angel Of Death (A Steel City Thriller Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Having read Blood Guilt, Ben Cheetham's latest book did not disapoint. I was gripped from the very start. It follows a very dark and gritty plot with lots twists. I read lots of crime thrillers and this is by far one of the best I have read in recent years, I couldn't put it down, the sign of a great book! A fantasic read, can't wait for more.

4.0 out of 5 stars When I heard that he had this new one coming out I was keen to read it and see if it was as good as the last one, 14 July 2014
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ben Cheetham has released a number of books and short stories, however the only one I had read was entitled Blood Guilt. When I heard that he had this new one coming out I was keen to read it and see if it was as good as the last one. Not only was it just as good, it was even better! The covers are pretty appealing too for those that are still reading the paperback or hardcover copies. From Page 1 to the very end my attention was held, and my emotions played with. It seemed that Cheetham was determined to up the ante in terms of plot, characters and sheer pace.

Angel is a young girl with a severely tragic and broken past. She is now a prostitute and she finally snaps leaving her with only revenge in her mind. She was a great character and I empathised with her immediately. The book highlights in graphic detail the horrors she has been subjected to, and as a reader it doesn’t take too long for you to get behind her and almost begin to understand how people cross the line of the law.

Jim Monohan is a DI who has been round the block a few times. I liked Jim although he was a little on the clichéd side. He is investigating a crime where a bankrupt business man has murdered his family. Although seemingly a simple case to the police, Jim knows there is more to the case than meets the eye. The first few chapters alone were incredibly interesting and I was drawn in from the get go. I read this in a day and a half and was gutted to finally finish it.

The story and pace alone deserves a fantastic rating, but adding in the characters and plot threads it made for an absolutely fantastic read. I dithered over what rating to give it and was going to give it 5/5 but because the copper character just didn’t cut the mustard I had to drop it down to a 4/5. However, the book had everything else I would want from a book like this and more. This was an outstanding read and one that I think deserves a bit more exposure. If you haven’t read Ben Cheetham, I would highly recommend both the books I have read. Another great book and I will definitely look forward to the next one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Twists, 20 July 2014
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I tend to read a lot of crime books and whilst most of them follow the tale through from start to finish, what this title also throws into the mix is a lead character who has to war with his own beliefs and his faith in the law. Its wonderfully written and the reader is given a principle player that is rounded but also emotionally involved in everything he does.

Add to the mix, some solid police work, quite a few twists and of course an authorly style that will not only entertain but help give the reader a tale that’s a little different to a lot out there and al round, you really can’t afford to miss this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheffield's Rebus?, 24 July 2014
A young woman hell bent on revenge. A detective determined to self-destruct. A sinister cabal of powerful people who will keep their terrible secret, whatever the cost. Angel of Death is an accomplished thriller from author of Blood Guilt, Ben Cheetham. Fans of Rankin's Rebus will almost certainly enjoy this novel, where one of the main characters is a detective who feels so jaded by the job that he just doesn't care for authority any more. Retirement beckons and it's with bitterness that Jim Monahan goes about the job.

Another damaged character is the Angel of the title. A hooker's handle but one she lives up to in a deadly fashion. The chance to do a good deed for a young girl leaves her feeling powerful and alive for the first time in years. She comes to the terrible realisation that she can and must hit back at those that have mistreated her. She becomes the Angel of Death.

Cheetham tackles some big issues, and we are left feeling no small amount of empathy for the main characters as they both tread their separate trails of self-destruction. Trails that we know must at some point cross. The author has a rare talent for story telling and character creating. Expect more steel city thrillers. A gripping read for thriller fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Jun. 2014
Fantastic read really has you gripped from the beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rated 6/5., 17 Oct. 2014
You won't want to put it down anyway. Best book I've read, like, forever. It's non-stop action, great characters, and some interesting moral questions. I listened to most of it on text to speech, but had to switch to using my eyes when it got extra-action packed so I didn't miss anything.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and disturbing, 9 April 2015
I just finished this and I have to say that I loved it except for the fact that D I Monahan is rather pathetic, a tad slow on the uptake and rather too keen to blame himself for everything that goes wrong. Angel aka Grace makes a massive mistake towards the end of the book and I had grown rather fond of her until she fell for this line without thinking, I know that people can become brow beaten and brainwashed but she seemed to have broken free of that mould until this point in the book and she then reverts to 'type' although things change again later (I have no wish to post spoilers so I shall not elaborate). I was happy enough with the ending of the book and shall read more Ben Cheetham, I would recommend it without reservation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Steel City Thriller, 2 Mar. 2015
Andy Angel (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews

As crime novels go this was at the good end of the scale. It had a lot of the 'usual' - cop at the back end of his career, doesn't get on with his superior etc but there was also enough freshness to keep things interesting. The 'bad guys' were truly vile and the character of Angel was written well, making her 'kind of likeable' for a killer.

More please 😉

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story that kept me turning the pages from the ..., 11 April 2015
A great story that kept me turning the pages from the start to the finish. This fits well into the crime genre but set in and around Sheffield gives it something new. Cheetham brings together the threads of the plot well, keeping the reader's sympathy for his down-trodden characters without over-stepping into sentimentality. He shows the bleak side of life any city has to offer and shows what can happen when the tables turn.
I enjoyed 'Angel' the female main character and Jim the exhausted and disillusioned DI. This is the second book in this series and I'll certainly read the third.