The PR Master class by Alex Singleton

The books scope.
This book mainly teaches the reader how to integrate PR into the marketing function of a company, big or small.
The author is a previous national newspaper journalist who knows his stuff. He recounts many good and bad practices within the book.

This is easy to read and pulls no punches; it really does get down to using PR and marketing as an integrated business tool. He develops a range of very useful tools and ideas that are both easy to understand and apply. The parts on getting the press interested and how to deal with them is brilliant and very valid in todays World. I have learned a lot from this book, it has given me more ideas and motivation than all of the courses I have been on about business PR in the last few years.

I have found this book so useful. I now have a much better idea about how to write PR and get it out into the public domain - several expensive courses have failed to do this so this book has achieved where the so called experts have failed me.
If you need to know anything about how the PR machine works as a student of business or a business person at any level in all types of companies then this book is for you. It's full of ideas, do's and don'ts and lots of advice on good practice working with the media.

A really well written and informative book that will appeal to a wide business audience. Highly recommended.
on 15 July 2015
As a young PR professional, who had entered the industry following a career change, I struggled to find any practical advice that my colleagues had gleaned from university courses and hard-earned work experience. I read mountains of academia on public relations, but none of this helped further than understanding the industry.
I ordered Alex Singleton's book as part of my endeavour to be better at the job I desperately wanted to do well, and I half expected it to be the usual slightly out-of-date industry data and historical theory that I had previously read.
What I gained instead was an incredibly valuable series of tips and tricks that have come from somebody who understands both the journalists' plight of the overflowing inbox and the PR's struggle to break through to create relationships with the media.
The PR Masterclass helped me to understand what I was selling and how to make it work for the media I was targeting. It gave me the dos and dont's that proved unsurprisingly effective in generating results. It also gave me new ideas of things to integrate into a campaign.

All aspiring PR professionals should read this book - the most accurate review that I can give is this: it gives you common-sense strategies that you don't seem to have thought of already.
on 6 October 2014
I haven’t finished the book yet, I’m about half way through. So you’re probably thinking that I should have finished it before recommending it.

But that’s how good it is, I’m only half way through and I’m already singing its praises.

Despite being having a highly successful career, Alex Singleton comes across as a down to earth guy, with genuine advice. His book is both interesting and an easy read. This is what you want out of a career advice book, there’s nothing worse than having to stop every couple of lines to google the definition of some jargon or other.

The book is divided into chapters and useful sub-sections, so (although I don’t recommend it) you could in theory just skip to the bits you need to learn most about. The book does not waste a word, with every page full of tips and suggestions. Alex Singleton also intersperses the book with his own personal experiences and antidotes, which gives the book a human feel and in some cases even acts as motivation.

One of the nice things about the book is that it gives you a real PR pro’s views on a lot of the theories and myths you’re sure to come across online. Alex Singleton’s uses the book to share personal experiences and research to suggest and warn against certain tools that a quick Google search will tell you are a must. He also answers the age old question everyone starting out, or wanting to start out in PR has probably asked at some point - how long should a press release be?

There is one other thing I would recommend buying if you invest in this book; a writing pad and highlighter, or just a highlighter if you don’t have my innate horror of writing in books. Because you are sure to find snippets that you’ll want to be able to quickly refer back to, such as useful websites. There are points in it where the advice is common sense, however it is nice to be reminded of it, because when your chasing the next lesson or tip it can be easy to lay aside the things you already know, and should be doing but aren’t.

Now this is admittedly a bit superficial, and I know you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. But it does have a great cover. The bright colours and clean design are inviting, you can pick up this book with a cup of tea and not feel like cup of tea and not feel like you’re about to start school revision all over again.

So basically, if you want a career in PR, or want to improve skills you already kind of have, get this on your Amazon wish-list.

Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Though the title slightly oversells it, this book is an excellent guide to the nuts and bolts of media relations, and would be an ideal refresher for someone who has been in the profession a while, and could do with being mandatory reading for new entrants.

Many people enter the PR profession by taking a junior assistant or PR executive role (don't be deceived by the title — it just makes you 'someone who does the work'). If entering a busy communications or PR office in an agency or large organisation, someone will set you straight fairly soon on how to write press releases. Sadly, many people don't get that kind of advice, and I've interviewed many for jobs who seemed quite plausible, until we gave them the exercise of writing a release, and it seemed that no-one had ever shown them how to do it.

This book is a masterclass in the sense that it sets out clearly and energetically how to do the nuts and bolts of media relations. I can heartily recommend it for anyone starting out — you will save yourself months of frustration, and the dreaded comment "this release isn't quite right — could you rework it a bit", scrawled in red pen across the top, which leaves the problem firmly back with you and gives you no help in solving it.

There's a lot more to PR than this, but this is a very good start.
on 13 December 2013
The book is excellently written, and above all, teaches aspiring PR practitioners how to do PR efficiently and effectively. The book clarifies and defines everything as it goes, and is particularly useful for someone planning a media campaign (teaching them important things such as: how not to irritate the journalists you're pitching to, etc). I trust everything that the writer has said, and will implement it in all of my future marketing and PR endeavours.
on 7 April 2014
Fantastic book, solid advice and a MUST read.

As a new starter to the world of PR the outlook can be pretty daunting.

Alex Singleton’s PR Masterclass is straight talking, honest and above all invaluable.

I have just started out on my journey within the field but with examples from his past experience, solid breadth of advice and a clear understanding of the landscape of PR (comparatively between today and more traditional methods) are delivered with humour and flair which make you better equipped for this fast paced sector.

Exciting, engaging and educational; I would recommend to all!

Vital to good PR, personal progression and developing and maintaining effective media relations.

(Kindle edition)
on 15 April 2015
As someone right at the beginning of my career path in the PR industry, life can sometimes seem a bit daunting. However, Alex's book was invaluable, enjoyable and teaches you thoroughly about each step someone in the industry should take. A really enjoyable book and one that I would thoroughly recommend to everyone. It was a joy to read and I will take the lessons learnt through with me for the rest of my life.

I have read a few books on PR over the past few years and I can safely say that this is the easiest to read, laid out to you in black and white. If you love PR, this is a must read.
on 20 January 2015
I can't praise Alex Singleton's book enough. As a journalist looking to carve out a future career in PR, I found his insights and advice tremendously valuable, while nodding along to his tips and tricks for PR practitioners looking to make journalists their best friend. (For example, his guide on how to write a press release is spot on: they should be easy to write, and yet so many are poorly written - journalists certainly appreciate people who provide well-written information.)

Having read many books on PR, communication, and strategy, I've often found myself reaching for the paracetamol after ploughing through a few chapters of jargon-heavy academic perspective, which often fails to offer the reader a practical insight to Public Relations. Conversely, Singleton's book is written in clear, plain English and is laden with handy advice that can actually be taken out into the world and put into practice. If you're going to buy one book on PR, this is the one - it truly is a master class, written by a man who has a wealth of experience on both sides of the fence.

In my opinion, this is THE book for journalism and PR students and practitioners alike. As the man says, if you're serious about being at the top of your game, it's essential that you continue your learning in order to remain sharp within the ever-evolving media industry, and this book is one of the best learning tools that will help you to do just that.
on 18 January 2014
Professional PRs will hate this book. Why hire them when you can do the job cheaper - and better - yourself? This book shows that if you are prepared to spend a little time working out what media folk actually want, and deliver that in a businesslike way, you can get good press and save yourself a load of cash.

The best how-to manuals tell you stuff that makes you think 'obvious, really' - but just lay it out more systematically than you could. Although I have been trying to push content on journalists for 35 years, this is a systematic manual that I will return to over and over. There is lots of stuff - like the best way and time to contact journalists - that you can only know from experience. But more than that, it also shows how you can be creative in getting your name out. I liked the example of Procter & Gamble organising a soap sculpture competition. That's brilliant PR. And there is stuff about using opinion polls, holding an 'XYZ Day' that is relevant to your business and promotes your name, using diary and letters columns, doing radio and TV, and generally how to make yourself accessible to and trusted by the media. Knowing a bit about PR from years of trial and error, I would love to see the author go into oodles more detail about each of these, but that's another book. This one claims to be nothing more than a beginner's manual - but it is a good one.
VINE VOICEon 20 March 2014
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With so many books on the subject of PR, would this book shed any real or more light on the over hyped at times art of said PR?. One or two I have cast an eye over in the past have not really shed much light on the ‘black art’ of PR and as such leave the reader wishing they had never bothered to pick up and open the said respective books. However on receiving this book I was totally engrossed with it as its written in a down to earth way, simple rather than over complicating the subject matter, that gives insights into the strategy used and the results, what to look out for and dealing with journalists is quite a master class in many respects as it also delves into the supposed mindset of said journalists and its also worth the cover price for the amazing amount of web links and other reference sources alone. This book is written in a down to earth way that should be understandable to most readers with even a basic intellect and should appeal to those who want to get the message across from those in big business to the folk organising the local village fete as its about that as in communicating at all, if not most, levels to get your message across and in this endeavour I think the author pulls that off and it might not be too presumptuous to say this could be viewed as person’s sort of ‘How To’ PR person’s Bible. Well worth 5 stars.