on 19 December 2013
Ok so first thoughts for this book are basically its going to be a typical mills and boon romance about pirates. Oh how wrong was I. I instantly fell in love with this book and the characters. Its funny, scary, heartwarming and heartbreaking to say the least. Hendricks is sexy, controlling and won't take no for an answer but when he says " inocencia " you will definitely need a panty change. Then theres Indigo. She has had a hard time of it recently and you just know that when she meets Hendricks things aren't going to be any easier. This book has been an absolute joy to read
on 3 October 2014
I have to confess I've only read one other book by this author and that was about a Motorcycle Club and indeed this author does seem to write quite a lot of that genre so when I saw she had written a modern day pirate story I thought why not? It's not a subject that I've seen tackled before so I was really curious to see where this story would lead. As Ms Jewel usually writes quite gritty and dare I say dirty books I realised that this would be a very 'adult" story and those looking for a very hot read will most definitely not be dissapointed!
Indigo has had a difficult life as her father dissapeared and then her mother succumbed to cancer which meant Indigo ended up in state care. Whilst there she met and fell in love with Kane but he was a violent man and now Indigo is on the run trying to escape his vengeful ways. Indigo persuades her friend Eric to take a boat trip with her but a freak accident sees them lost and adrift in a life raft but when they are "rescued " it's out of the proverbial frying pan and into the fire as its a crew of modern day pirates who find them!
Ok now this is fiction so be prepared to suspend all belief. Now the central male character Hendricks is no Jack Sparrow but he is written as a gorgeous hunk of a male but one who can be very violent. These larger than life characters sail the high seas getting involved in all sorts of bother but I was a little dissapointed that we didn't get to experience just how the Pirates on board ship made their money. That being said Hendricks will have you wanting a pirate of your own as underneath that explosive exterior is a seething mass of contradictions and a hunger to dominate that will leave many readers breathless! O boy he is seriously hot!
Indigo is kind of hard to pidgeon hole really. She has been a victim but she has managed to survive and her loyalty to her friend Eric is admirable but I admit I really did not like Eric so occasionally thought she needed her head testing! That being said she is a fighter and as a heroine it works very well as I didnt want her to be a total pushover. I liked that she stood up for herself and embraced her new reality. It may not be what she wanted but Indigo is a character with depths and a strong backbone and whilst many would have floundered in those circumstances she constantly looked for a way forward. Yes Indigo is a survivor!
This is romantic fiction so the author can take poetic license and just have fun which she clearly has but for me at times it didn't quite work. This is a contemporary story but the Pirates had a mermaid on the front of their boat , really? There's lots of aarrrrr pirate comments which I thought was funny but I would have expected the modern crew to be well frankly modern! Then there's the easy way characters seem to have money to buy/ hire boats which did not make sense and there's quite a lot of violence which is glossed over . What does work though are the intimate scenes between the two main characters as its a romance so yes most readers will be pleased.
So there's a happy ending of sorts but it's not quite over yet. Fans of the authors MC books will no doubt feel it's a must read but I think if you just want a piece of pure escapism then you will enjoy this. I read it in one sitting so I guess that means I was hooked and would recommend to those who enjoy alpha males no matter how far fetched!
on 15 December 2013
I love reading bella`s books the hot sexy men do it for me. This is a slight change from her biker series but the story had me hooked. I kind of guessed the main parts but the book is an easy enjoyable read so I didn't mind too muck looking forward to book 2 left on a Cliff hanger but it doesn't spoil the book.
on 16 December 2013
I really enjoyed this book and great sass and witty banter between the characters - it was probably a bit thin on character development and in Indi dealing with the situation but we already knew it was going to be fun read so all in all I'd say its entertaining from the beginning and would recommend this book!
on 14 December 2013
I wasn't quite sure on this book as pirate books don't really interest me but I like this author and thought id give it a go... im so glad I did I loved it it has you hooked from page 1 to the end but oh what an end! I need feb to come quickly for demitri and jess story . buy this book it well recommended
on 13 May 2014
3 stars.

Ok. I liked it, but it was....erm....odd

The pirates were like a cross between modern day pirates, and swashbuckling "arrrrr" pirates! They had swords! And a wooden boat with a mermaid at the front!!

I sort of did not get it. Is it meant to be sort of fantasy?

Anyway, liked the characters, apart from Eric, who I would have thrown to the sharks!

Guessed about her dad early on!

I did really enjoy it, but am still left a bit befuddled by the entire concept! It was all a bit far fetched really.

I mean, who just "falls" into pirating
on 17 December 2013
I have loved Bella 's other books but when I read the blurb on this one I was not sure.... but I loved it, the pirates are just like an -MC evil but they love each other like brothers, -Hendrix is hot and indie had the right amount of sas to put him in his place. Can't wait for the next book
on 17 December 2013
ARC received in return for an honest review.

I went into reading this book with a completely open mind, I had no pre judgement or expectations of the content as I rarely if ever read a 'pirate' book. But on the strength of Bella's fantastic MC Sinners books I hoped that this was going to be a gritty, dirty read and fan me now because dirty indeed it is, gritty and shocking too. In other words all the great ingredients of a sexy as hell read.

So if you're going to go into this with expectations of being anywhere near true to life then throw those thoughts away now. This book needs to be read and understood as complete fiction. Nothing like this is EVER going to happen in real life, the events all pan out and truth be told fall very much into a perfect sequence of events and we all know that life just isn't like that.

Indigo is a bit of a conundrum really, she's had a lot happen to her and is running scared, she's on one hand a victim and remembers what that is like and then on the other hand she's a ballsy Lady that won't take things lying down (well..... actually......) and fights for her freedom. I didn't question how she had the money to hire a Yacht and it's things like that beg you to read the content for what it is - fiction. Eric as well, I didn't like some of what he said and yet I got him at the same time, I wondered if he wanted more than just best friends with Indi.

Hendrix, oh cripes what an alpha male he is, unbending and determined to do what he must he doesn't realise what he's got in Indi till it's possibly too late. He leaves you feeling weak at the knees and sinfully wanting a pirate of your very own and that pirate being him at your disposal, sigh I can only dream lol.

So to sum it up, this is a sex filled pirate action packed story that has events and circumstances that are 'too good to be true' as in everything just happens to be connected and people in the right place all the time but as long as you can appreciate the 'fiction' of their story and realise it is what is and no more then you will love it including Indi's drunken OTT pirate jokes, you'll be hard pressed not to smile or indeed laugh at some of them!
on 17 June 2014
Hhmmmmmmm, this will be a difficult one to review. Ive hhmmmmm'd and aaaRRRRRR'd (sorry i couldnt resist) about what rating to give this one. Im settling on 4 stars, rather than 3/3.5 because:

One, it's all about pirates! And a hot one at that.
Two, The storyline in and of itself is actually very good and as soon as i read the blurb, i knew i wanted to read it. After reading the book, im not dissappointed in the sense that the storyline wasnt what i expected or there were major parts that i didnt like. No, it was a good solid storyline for the most part, starting with Indigo shooting her abusive ex and then forwarding to the present day where she is preparing for her move to London to get away from said ex after he is released from prison.
Three, the sex scenes are pretty hot!
Four, more hot pirates!

So after Indigo sets sail with her best friend Eric and the guy she's paid to sail her to the UK, Yes SAIL, they end up with a slight technical problem on the yacht, which results in the yacht blowing up. Eric and Indigo spend the next few days on the life raft drifting in the ocean until the pirates come to the 'rescue'. What follows is a blur of emotions and encounters with some nasty looking pirates, some hot sexy pirates - mainly Hendrix the captain of the ship. Hendrix doesnt hide the fact that he is a nasty piece of ....ahem... and that he intends to sell her to another pirate as a sex slave in order to pay off a debt. So of course Indigo tries to escape, only Hendrix is always one step ahead of her and in the end she makes a deal with him that proves her loyalty and caring nature.

Why not 5 stars? I'll admit that after reading Knight's Sinners I did had super high expectations for this one, together with my frame of mind at the time, meant that certain things bothered me (that wouldnt otherwise).

Like the fact that she SAILS across the Atlantic. Who does that? Also i didnt quite feel the chemistry between them. Hendrix showed no signs of remorse for all the violence, yet Indigo just falls at his feet! She also earns a nickname that means 'innocence'. To me, she wasnt so innocent giving Hendrix a strip-tease! And finally the ending. There is a link between the MCs, or rather between the people they know that was just abit too far-fetched for me. This is revealed at the end, not as a cliffhanger though. No, the actual cliffhanger i saw coming quite early, but was good all the same and so will be watching out for book 2.

Despite the above, i really enjoyed this quick read. Anyone who enjoyed the MC sinners series will probably enjoy this one too. It is after all, "Like an MC club on land, but ocean-style!"

4 stars!
on 24 December 2013
If someone would have told me I will read a pirate story and love it, I would've told them they are crazy. That was until I read Bella Jewel's "Enslaved By The Ocean". This book is absolutely addictive and I wasn't able to put it down. Why? Well, there are many reason. The first one is, that it is not the typical cheesy pirate romance. Definitely not. It couldn't be any more different. Bella Jewel described it as a story about bikers of the sea & that was quite accurate.

It is a contemporary story about men that gave up their former lives - often lives that were defined by crime, abuse and mistakes. Needing a new start, they found it as modern-day pirates, as criminals operating on the ocean.

It is a story about a woman that has gone through hell and back. She wants to start a new life and she decides to do it with a trip on a yacht. Little does she know how new the life would be that she is about to start. But once her yacht goes up in flames and she is captured by pirates in order to be sold as a sex slave, she is about to find out.

This is where Hendrix' and Indigo's story begins. And it is a story full of pain and hate, fear and despair, but also a story of unbelievable attraction and fiery passion, as well as true love. A story that captivated me, made me hang onto every word and every page - eager to find out what happens next. A story full of original and strong characters - all of them with their own story that defines who they are and brought them onto the ship.

There is Hendrix, the pirate captain. A man so good-looking it is a crime all on its' own. But at the same time he is a man that is ruthless and willing to sacrifice anyone in order to get his way, even if that means selling someone as a sex slave. Not necessarily the type of guy to get all hot and bothered about. And yet, the way Bella Jewel wrote his character, you can't help but swoon for him. At least that way I knew how Indigo felt.

Indigo, the rescued girl with a past, finds herself on a ship full of pirates that plan to sell her to pay a debt. Having had to fight for her life before, she is not one to give up. Especially as her life isn't the only one at stake. So she tries to convince Hendrix to let her go free - finding herself torn between hate and attraction towards him. As the story progresses we learn more about the characters. There is more to Hendrix than meets the eye. He can be ruthless and kill someone within the blink of an eye, but he can also be caring and protective. Indigo is extremely strong and a true fighter. She is not the type to give up and if she has to go down she will do so kicking and clawing. But even more so she is loyal to the bone, willing to give her life to save a friend. The characters are complex and at the same time believable and realistic.

The more time passes, the more the attraction between Hendrix and Indigo grows. But it is not merely sexual. There is more to it. The chemistry between them, the pull and push of emotions, the constant change between longing and rejection makes for the most exquisite sexual tension and sex scenes that will make you tear your hair out. You better keep your significant other close or at least have a B.O.B. in reach.

As always with Bella Jewel's books though, the story is about so much more than sex and romance. There are twists and turns that will make you feel like you are in a labyrinth, wondering what is around the next corner. There are bumps in the road that are so surprising and come out of nowhere, that you will feel whip-lashed. And there is so much emotion, that you will feel it right alongside the characters. Suffering with them, feeling their pain and anguish, but also their happiness and yes, also their horniness.

I can highly recommend "Enslaved By The Ocean" if you want a story about mistakes and forgiveness, redemption and loyalty, love and acceptance, second chances and family, passion and amazing hot sex. It is a story that captivated me from beginning to end.

5+ stormy, hot and wild stars.