4.0 out of 5 stars Good read
4 stars due to a few editorial issues. however I enjoyed this book, totally unexpected ending. stick with this one it's worth it.
Published 2 months ago by lorri

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't make up my mind!
Published 3 months ago by Gill Kindle

3.0 out of 5 stars Can't make up my mind!, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: FLINDER'S FIELD (a murder mystery and psychological thriller) (Kindle Edition)
Have just finished Flinder's Field and can't decide if I'm glad I stuck with it. Found the first half of the book hard to like but read some reviews and decided to stick with it. All I can say is at least I found out what happened! But they are all unlike able characters so I didn't feel any bond with them. I had read D M Mitchell's Mouse so was prepared to find the book slightly odd but....the jury is still out on this one!

3.0 out of 5 stars Field of mystery, 21 April 2014
I have read other books from this author and really enjoyed them but this one escaped me.
I couldn't get into the narration , the characters or the feel of the mystery which is a shame because it reads really well and expected another good read. It all felt a bit to cold between characters for me and slow to get into the whole journey.

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable with an interesting plot., 20 April 2014
After starting and giving up on quite a few of the Amazon free and reduced-priced books, I quite enjoyed this book and it kept my interest until the end.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, couldn't finish this one., 20 Mar 2014
Mr. P. F. Field (UK) - See all my reviews
I read a book to be entertained. So it isn't surprising that I expect at least a couple of the characters to be sympathetic. I found George to be as unpleasant as the rest of his family - Uncle Gary excepted and that's because he appeared to be a prawn short of a barbie. The obsession with Sylvia Tredwin got on my nerves. That said, I will probably have another go at this, but only when I run out of anything else to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 15 May 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars flinders field, 15 May 2014
Excellent,kept my interest right to the end. Could not put it down. A strange story but not too far fetched

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware your family..., 7 May 2014
Sarah Hague (Montpellier, France) - See all my reviews
...if you live in an isolated village in the middle of cider country. They'll all be completely mad, have terrible secrets and be ruthlessly determined to keep them.

I enjoy Mr Mitchell's books, and this one lived up to expectations. The kidnapped by aliens obsession by 'poor Sylvia Tredwin' was intriguing, as was everyone telling George to stop digging up the past. Anyone in their right mind knows that if you tell someone to stop looking, they'll want to look even harder to find out what's behind the wall of lies.

The author captures the claustrophobic atmosphere of small village life well - the petty jealousies, feuds and tensions. None of the characters are likeable, however, including George who is a small-time writer of cheap thrillers, and feels the lack of credibility as a writer terribly.

He digs about in the loft, finds a bunch of papers, goes off to meet various people, and grapples with his determinedly obtuse family. What he discovers will have dramatic consequences throughout the village. The ending will leave you dangling. Great stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another very good read, 30 April 2014
A creepy story with the answers lying in the past. I have been lucky to get books by DM Mitchell as kindle freebies but I have enjoyed them so much I would be paying for them

4.0 out of 5 stars good story, 31 Mar 2014
A good story and well written. I personally prefer something with a bit more grit as it was a bit like 'midsomer murders' on afternoon tv but really enjoyed it.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, 22 Jun 2014
Aurora (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Unless the fact that half the characters are quite mad counts, I don't think I would label this as a psychological thriller. In many ways this is quite depressing. George's life seems to be quite humdrum, despite the fact that he earns his living as the author of murder mysteries, which even he admits are more murder than mystery. When we first meet him, I rather liked his line about counting the ways in which he had murdered people - before we knew that he was an author. George is among those whose sanity we wonder about, he spends much of his time conversing with his alter ego, who we initially think is just his nom de plume, until we discover that he has spent most of his life chatting away to him. The more depressing aspect for me is that George is manipulated and verbally beaten down by his sister at every opportunity, but also by his mother, when she can be bothered speaking to him.

George is fascinated by a strange event in the village some forty years ago and is keen to find out as much as he can about it, thinking that it might form the basis of one of his lurid novels. One might think that even George might find it a bit odd that absolutely everyone he mentions it to tells him to leave it alone. Not so. George not only doesn't even seem to notice, he also takes no notice of the warnings! That could be the most costly mistake he has ever made.

I honestly can't decide if I liked this or not. It soon became very obvious to me what had happened back in the 70s, I just couldn't decide who was involved and who wasn't. Along with the depressing emotional abuse it didn't make for gripping reading, although I was eager to get to the end.