5.0 out of 5 stars RIVETING
WARHORN (Sons of Iberia)The story drew me in and kept me spellbound till the very end. The pace picks up fast and barrels along. Emotions envelop and action is vividly depicted in great choice of words and metaphor. One is totally absorbed in the history and culture of long ago Spain in a tantalizing tale with fascinating fictional characters. History, ecology and story...
Published 12 months ago by Merryl Leverington

3.0 out of 5 stars I would give this 7/10.
Some of the proof reading needed improving and how many times can you use the word 'yup'.
Still that is a only the smallest of criticisms overall a great read well researched certainly a page turner will look forward to Caro's return in 2014.
Tony Hollier.
Published 11 months ago by ANTHONY HOLLIER

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping story., 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: WARHORN: Sons of Iberia (Kindle Edition)
Good storyline,I was kept interested all the way through. Looking forward to the next book in this series,I will certainly buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Caros rises rapidly and guides us along an era and area with few tales, 9 Mar 2014
David Wilkin (La Habra Heights, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WARHORN: Sons of Iberia (Kindle Edition)
Warhorn is an attempt to bring us into the world of the Second Punic War. Where this does begin to succeed the authors notes cites the liberties he took with the timeline to make the story flow better, and that actually diverts you from what might have been an even stronger piece.

Supplemental characters are brought on stage often to illustrate the harsh realities of the time. The Barbarous nature of the era. And readers should be prepared for this is a time where might is right, and might does rule. Especially when you are in the border lands of two giant empires positioning for control of ultimately all of the Mediterranean, though that will come later. This is the beginning of that long war.

To tell us about this period and take us through it, we are introduced to Caros, the son of a merchant. The story opens when tragedy has struck his family. Caros is our advocate to learn of Hannibal, he of the elephant fame, and who we know will ultimately lose to Rome. Thus usually in fiction told of the period we see the world through the eyes of Rome. We know Scipio Africanus will be victorious ultimately. We also know that Hannibal was a military genius.

Here Caros shows us that there were actions like the pawns in chess moving about ahead of the first fight at Tagus and then the siege of Saguntum. That Mr. Bauer changes the timeframe perhaps makes a wronger tale with a great many heroic fight scenes and tales of the siege.

There however is a certain realism to our heroes that Caros transcends. Here is a man who has had some training with a weapon, and the intelligence to learn the life of a merchant. He instantly has the skill of a battle hardened warrior of many campaigns, and the craft of a leader of thousands of men. Skills that are not acquired over one season of warfare. Given some backstory to these skills beyond what we learn might have provided us with a greater appreciation of our hero. Instead he appears more blessed than even Hannibal who trained for his generalship from childhood is eclipsed by our Caros. When overlooking this the story flows to surround us with details and subplots that give us an idea what the Inerian Peninsula was like at the time.

Even to the very end, where Caros faces the end of his own personal journey, we see a harsh world revealed with a conclusion that is necessary for our heroes personal growth. Reading this tale of fighting, great battles, and a period long gone, should bring a reader who has had a large selection of Pro-Roman Historical and Military Fiction to see that the grass may be no greener from the side of their many foes, but is as equally filled with heroism, sacrifice, and wonderment. For those with a shared love of this period you will see that Bauer does not disappoint and a perusal of his story is worth the effort.

2.0 out of 5 stars Story of ancient wars in Iberia, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: WARHORN: Sons of Iberia (Kindle Edition)
Decent story but simple with few complexities. Numerous typos and poor English. Easy reading for few minutes to pick up and put down when you want to

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: WARHORN: Sons of Iberia (Kindle Edition)
A good read that was different age that was not Romans Greeks etc. Looking forward to the next one hopefully not too long

4.0 out of 5 stars WARHORN, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: WARHORN: Sons of Iberia (Kindle Edition)
A good and interesting story although I felt it was a bit unnecessarily long as a result of over doing some of description and explanations of some of the events.
However for me personally the biggest disappointment about the whole story was the amount of spelling mistakes throughout the book and I found this most distracting.
Is this the publisher or e book to blame?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: WARHORN: Sons of Iberia (Kindle Edition)
Very interesting histgorical novel, I did not realise until the end that it was set in a period so long ago in 200B.C.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warhorn, 10 Feb 2014
Mr. Gordon Downie (Stoke-on-Trent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WARHORN: Sons of Iberia (Kindle Edition)
Not a bad book but not a great one either. Too many typographical errors for my liking and far too many "Yups" it was most irritating. The story line was fine but the proof reading leaves a lot to be desired.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, poorly presented, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: WARHORN: Sons of Iberia (Kindle Edition)
As I read the book, I found many gramatical errors with the wrong word being used because it probably had a computer allowing any word rather than the appropriate one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story, but full of errors, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: WARHORN: Sons of Iberia (Kindle Edition)
The story itself is well written and compelling. The text, however, is riddled with grammatical and spelling errors which can make the book very hard to read at times. Glenn: You rally need to work on the proof reading before publication. I look forward to the next books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warhorn, 5 Feb 2014
Colin Easton - See all my reviews
This review is from: WARHORN: Sons of Iberia (Kindle Edition)
This was a very interesting book. I know little of the history of Spain (Iberia) and this has given me an introduction. This book was very well written although there were quite a number of spelling mistakes which I assume was through translation. I look forward to reading the continuation of this story.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 7 | Next ›