5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8 in an 8" Tablet
After owning the very successful nexus 7, also made by Asus, I had some great expectations for this tablet. I must admit that my first impressions were not very favourable when compared to the Nexus 7, namely the screen resolution and battery life. However it has to be said that this is an unfair comparison due to different operating systems.

So I decided to...
Published 15 months ago by Antoine Camilleri

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but note quite ready for primetime.
Published 13 months ago by Mr. J. M. Crow

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8 in an 8" Tablet, 25 Mar. 2014
Antoine Camilleri (Malta) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: ASUS M80TA-DL001H 8.0-inch VivoTab Note 8 Tablet (Intel Atom Z3740 1.33GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, Webcam, Built-in Speaker, Microphone, Touch Screen, Windows 8.1) (Personal Computers)

So I decided to perform some level playing field comparisons by heading to the local computer shop to try out other 8 inch tablets running Windows 8. I discovered that the Asus Vivo Tab Note 8 holds the edge in most departments (at time of writing this review).

The first thing that you will notice when handling this tablet is the sturdy build quality. The rubberised back offers a good grip and there is no fear that this tablet might slip out of you hand. And while the 1280 x 800 screen resolution is a mere 188ppi it retains great colour saturation thanks to the IPS display. The Multi touch display is also very responsive.

The key selling points:
○ This little 8" tablet runs the full version of Windows 8.1, an extension of your office in such a tiny package!!
○ The included Wacom Digitiser pen works a treat, with effective palm rejection. (Needs calibration for optimal performance)
○ SD card slot, which allows for a maximum of a further 32GB

Functionality:
I am really surprised at the speed of this little device. Let's not forget that it is running the full version of Windows!! The Intel Atom Z3740 quad-core, 1.86GHz processor and 2GB of RAM seem to do the trick! After calibrating the digitiser pen, I found it to be very accurate, and great for note taking. It is a true extension of my desktop, great for travelling, writing documents on the go, using Skype... ticks all the right boxes for me!

Yet some may understandably find that the screen is to small for a fully fledged Windows 8.1, at which point a larger screen would be more suitable.

However if you are looking for a compact full fledged Windows tablet, than this might be the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted. Perfect!, 15 Feb. 2014
I wanted a tablet for writing mainly. My first choice was a Kindle HDX and I almost bought it. The only thing that restrained me from buying it, was lack of micro sd slot and moustly no access to Google Store. Then I set my mind on Nexus 7 as for one of the best Android Tablets on the market atm, I liked the fact that I could use Amazon app store and Play Google at the same time. Nevertheless I abandoned the idea of buying nexus, as soon as I noticed another ASUS product, which was VivoTab Note 8 (full windows 8.1 and office 2013? come on!). I decided to give it a go, despite my concerns that 2 gb ram tablet with full windows could be too slow.

Thus, I do not regret my purchase. This tablet is like a PC, not restricted to any app stores. You can do what you please. It is fast, neat and office 2013 works perfect. In addition I bought 64gb micro sd card, so I have almost 100 gb on tablet. Dunno why Nexus/Kindle do not provide that.

Make: up to the mark, I cant complain.
Sound: better that many laptops, it has two speakers on the back.
Display: well, its not like nexus7 but its good enough. I read somewhere that it is a bit too dim, but if you go to settings and disable dimmed view (even if brightness is at 100% and you have adaptive dimmed brightness on it will be darker), then its fine.
Graphics: well, I played with it in Civilization 5 with latest adds... Its amazing. Of course I have to set Video Settings to the lowest and close all other programs that use RAM, but it was playable without glitches.
Office 2013: yeah, I do not have to search for meaningless office-like apps through the play store anymore
Price: 299 pounds, I do not think this is expensive. Fair price for tablet that is like a decent laptop PC.

Cons: No mini HDMI... you can connect it by bluetooth though. For me that's not even a con, but I think it is worth to mention that...

Summary: This is outstanding, full windows 8.1 on 8 inch tablet? Of course there are tablets with better stats (Nexus, Kindle), and they are a lot cheaper, but having Windows instead of Androids or iOS, makes it worth to choose this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars And I'll explain why.., 2 Mar. 2014
E. Biggs "since_2003" (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
What we have here (and I own one by the way) is the most finished Win8.1 8inch device on the market. On paper, a number the specs lag the competition (1080p, 32GB, no HDMI) but the combination of solid hardware, a pen for note taking, cheap price, full-desktop features, free Office licence, great sound and lack of gimmicks results in a device that delivers what it sets out to do and most owners will agree with me. Take 1080 for example. No one wants to hear that they don't need it on an 8inch device but the evidence points to a worse experience cost/tech vs batterylife/desktop usability on a tablet. If you only use metro apps you probably don't need alot of storage but just in case Asus include a microsd. You may hardly use hdmi on a tablet but just in case, have miracast. All of the choices feel balanced and deliberate and I dont hate Asus for making them. I've had my tablet for a week now and I am really sold on it. It deserves to be a success and I hope you agree with me but more importantly buy one and enjoy a great experience too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected..., 14 Dec. 2014
OK so I like using W8.1, yes it is definitely a better experience on a touch screen. So for me it was all about the tablet.
I was after a smaller device that could run MS Office and pen/stylus input for work and note taking. I also wanted a lightweight unit for using when reading online, including the 'Nook' app.

With limited choice this was really the only contender.
I have to say it is a very good little tablet. Speed is pretty good across all applications, if anything better than I had anticipated. Video playback, streaming or from a micro sdxc card (64gb) is good without any hic-ups. I have even run video editing software from the card and for an on the move, quick and easy solution, it was OK. I certainly wouldn't edit anything to large with the Asus though, not that it was ever intended for that sort of use.

Bluetooth connection is all good, as is the wi-fi - better than the iPad at work in both cases.

Ok, so the screen resolution is not up to some others out there, but on this size of screen is it really that important? Sound quality through the tiny rear speakers is not too bad at all. Better with a decent Bluetooth speaker for music though.

Using the stylus is a doddle, with plenty of note taking apps around: OneNote, Journal, Bamboo Paper and more... It does the job nicely. Accuracy of the input is good although the occasional re-calibration is required, but that shouldn't really be a surprise.

If you are looking to get your hands on one of these just remember what it was designed for, it is not a laptop or desktop replacement. It is however a very handy companion, especially if you are using other W8 products. Syncing and setting up through saved settings on OneDrive is very straightforward and saves hours, especially during the initial set up of the device.

Battery life is good, all day on one charge of pretty heavy non stop use. Easy to charge from any USB port on another device or USB charger (check the output).

Yes, overall the Asus does exactly what it said it would. So all good here. Yes, a definite recommendation from me, just ensure you know what you are buying, the limitations from this type of device, especially storage space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome. Better than I expected., 18 Feb. 2014
Sometimes you buy stuff and its not as good as you expected, but very rarely do you end up buying something that's way way better than you expected. This tablet is just that, so much better than I could ever have hoped for. I'm typing this review on it having had it on battery now since 7am, it is now gone 10pm and I've still got loads of battery left.

The only con with this is the Hard Drive size but, couple it with a 64 Gig Micro SD card and you'll hardly notice. If you do get an SD Card, mount it in NTFS mode and install your software on that. I'm currently running Photoshop (Full CS6), Visual studio Premium, and Office Suite. These all seem to run like a dream.

The stylus included is a dream and can be used both for art and writing. Couple the stylus with One Note (included) and you've really got the most useful implementation of a tablet I've ever used.

I cannot recommend this tablet more highly. A full P.C. the size of a paperback in your pocket, what more could you want? And because this is full Windows, not RT you're only limitation on what you can install is what you can fit on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect iPad-mini replacement. 4.5 stars., 26 Aug. 2014
Got this for my wife when she had to send her iPad mini away for repairs. Setting up required some patience. I needed to install updates, then office (this comes with full office which needs to be activated using a product key found in a leaflet in the box).

Very impressed with the ability to do two things on the same screen simultaneously. e.g. watch a video while having a quick look at an email that just arrived without interrupting the video.

The stylus needs to be calibrated. Ours seemed suited for a left-hander until it was calibrated. Because it runs full windows you can install and run iTunes and use most audio/video purchased on iPhones/iPads.

Downsides: the microphone and speakers are lacking. These hardware manufacturers are making Windows 8 look poor. This device isn't good for Skype.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tablet spoiled by hard to use "ON/OFF" button., 9 Jun. 2014
Nice tablet. Excellent operating system. Very reluctantly returned because "she who must be obeyed" could not easily turn on or off. Flush button very hard to find, and difficult for a female finger to sustain the pressure to push this button for several seconds, which is sometimes reqd. Perfectly good Windows button on other edge. Have Acer and Samsung tablets with good raised buttons.

4.0 out of 5 stars Asus Vivotab Note 8, 2 Sept. 2014
One of the best tablets on the market for a student, I wanted something to use alongside or apart from my surface when taking notes. The on screen keyboard is large enough to use comfortably without any pain after continuous use, and the included stylus allows for easy hand written input, however this does not always work so can mean input can be slow.

The battery will happily last a day or two, however if left on standby for an extended period of time, it is not uncommon to find it completely empty when returning to the device, although by charging the device on a regular basis it is easy enough to avoid this problem from occurring. The device is charged through a micro USB port, meaning that one cable can be used to charge multiple devices as this is not a proprietary port. It is possible to buy USB memory sticks to fit such ports however conversion kits can also be brought to allow a full USB to be used, but with the use of wireless data transfer and storage this is largely unnecessary.

The 32GB storage is sufficient for software and some file storage, however if you wish to use the device for viewing large documents or watch movies on the device, I would strongly recommend investing in a micro SD card, although again with online storage this is not as much as a problem as it once ways.

The stylus accurate and fits well in the hand, although does bend if you put an extensive amount of pressure on it, which does not fill me with the most confidence, however if this is really a problem for you the Wacom display is compatible with the Surface stylus allowing for a full size stylus to be used for continuous writing.

Overall if you're looking for a compact tablet to allow you to complete simple office tasks whilst on the move this is an ideal tablet, however if you're looking for a tablet for consuming data or creating large amount of data such as by video editing I would not recommend this tablet as I do not feel it is capable for managing such tasks efficiently.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, but note quite ready for primetime., 19 May 2014
Mr. J. M. Crow "JMC" (UK) - See all my reviews
A very good and useful device, if it was fully functional. I am a heavy PC user (I work in IT industry) and really appreciated the convenience of a light 8" tablet with full Wacom support and a new Baytrail Atom. Whilst the device performed better than I expected in all regards for the first ~25 days, the pen then ceased to function and despite 4 hours trying numerous methods I was unable to resolve the issue. Digging around online afterwards it appears many are experiencing the same issue with this device. All I can suggest as a result is waiting for further iterations of the device to be released and see if the issue has been resolved by then, as currently you are taking a large gamble on hoping the issue shows up within your return window - otherwise you will be stuck with Asus' notoriously less than convenient RMA procedures.

1.0 out of 5 stars No MS Office 2013....!, 19 Nov. 2014
I waited some 3-4 weeks to finally receive the Asus Vivo Note 8 Tablet, but because of the issues with delivery, Asus provide me with the upgraded version, which has a 64Gb memory.
Unfortunately, the newly upgraded version does not have the MS Office 2013 installed.
Asus have promised to either provide me with the earlier 32Gb version which has Office 2013 installed or as a last resort, supply me with the Office 2013 software to install myself.
However, I still await one of these options, and I am still without Office 2013.
Incidentally, I ordered the Note 8 Tablet at the beginning of October and here we are at the beginning of January.
Not happy.....!